• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ocho under my desk-o:

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think of mahogany as a true mid-brown, as opposed to ravello which is a mid brown with normally some reddish tones. of course I've seen ravello look completely brown as well. maybe mahogony is most similar to the "brown" that C&J uses

Part of the challenge when talking about rare colors, specifically Ravello, whiskey, and cigar, but also to some extent Color #8 and others, is there can be so much variation within colors.

I have returned or sold multiple pairs of Ravello and whiskey shell (as well as C&J dark brown shell) because the shade of shell was not what I wanted, or it was too close to something I already owned.

Ravello can range from medium caramel (almost whiskey) to nearly a cigar brown, all of which may, or should ideally, have varying degrees of "russet" reddish-orange shades.

Likewise, whiskey can range in its shade from pale yellow-tan to a deep tan or orange, these shades can have a yellow or green cast, depending on the batch.

Furthermore, depending on wear, care, and exposure to light and elements, the original shell color can change considerably. This is why it's possible to purchase shoes in a particular shade of #8 and get them to fade to a lighter color reminiscent of #2. Or why old whiskey shell can transform to a shade nearly indistinguishable from Ravello. Btw- for a time Alden SF did not distinguish between Ravello and Whiskey due to variations in color and because the Ravello and whiskey are often so close.

Moreover, the quality of the shell and its individual characteristics influence how it reacts to Horween's tannage, which is why we see shade variations among shell colors.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My latest acquisition - arrived today. Cigar NST on the Aberdeen last. This run is actually from 2009 - the shade of Cigar on these is gorgeous!

Gorgeous indeed!!
worship.gif
Enjoy often and in the best of health my friend!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey wingtip boots from TSM's 2nd's list. 379X last. Photo's taken under office lighting so doesn't capture the depth of the shell which is stunning. Boots include small scuffs (easily buffed out), lots of un-punched-out broguing and "R" stamps on the sole. Shells are clear, and the boots seem to be well matched in shade.

My only real complaint with these is the box that TSM provided. In my size (12.5D-13E) all Alden boxes are basically too small, which means my shoes (and especially the boots) usually come stuffed into a box which is bursting at the seams. This particular box provided by TSM is a complete joke - entirely destroyed on arrival by boots which are way too big for the box. I mean, I know these are 2nd's and all, but can't we have a better box for $599+ boots?
Fabulous! Great score! Enjoy them frequently my friend...

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apparently you don't spoiler anyway, RTP.... hahahahaha 
fight%5B1%5D.gif
Lol. I am not ganging up on RTP here (a scholar and a gentleman) but "this is too good to spoiler" has definitely become the new "I am not going to spoiler". Guilty here myself. Let's just acknowledge the truth.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dare I say......5?

ha, awesome!

I personally I wouldn't put it in that spectrum, which is basically a red spectrum. here is a pic of a #4 wallet and what I think is basically #6 shoes. mahogany IMO is in the brown spectrum

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, I can see where this is going. For the next several pages/posts we will now ponder the deep esoteric mysteries of shell cordovan and the existential crisis we all face in properly identifying the plethora of shades in the spectrum.

Carry on...

RobinM

Reaction score
Part of the challenge when talking about rare colors, specifically Ravello, whiskey, and cigar, but also to some extent Color #8 and others, is there can be so much variation within colors.

I have returned or sold multiple pairs of Ravello and whiskey shell (as well as C&J dark brown shell) because the shade of shell was not what I wanted, or it was too close to something I already owned.

Ravello can range from medium caramel (almost whiskey) to nearly a cigar brown, all of which may, or should ideally, have varying degrees of "russet" reddish-orange shades.

Likewise, whiskey can range in its shade from pale yellow-tan to a deep tan or orange, these shades can have a yellow or green cast, depending on the batch.

Furthermore, depending on wear, care, and exposure to light and elements, the original shell color can change considerably. This is why it's possible to purchase shoes in a particular shade of #8 and get them to fade to a lighter color reminiscent of #2. Or why old whiskey shell can transform to a shade nearly indistinguishable from Ravello. Btw- for a time Alden SF did not distinguish between Ravello and Whiskey due to variations in color and because the Ravello and whiskey are often so close.

Moreover, the quality of the shell and its individual characteristics influence how it reacts to Horween's tannage, which is why we see shade variations among shell colors.
Very true, but many only care about rarity.
Anything that is labeled as rare, they'll jump on it, regardless of the actual shade of color. Rare shell trophy shoes, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads