• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don L, curious, how do you clean your choco tankers, I still have yet to clean mine. Also, do you reapply the Nano after a certain amount of wears?
Thanks.
I just brush but when the time comes, I have Saphire suede cleaner I will use. I have not reapplied Nano since the initial application but I will respray every year.
Perfect. These boots are some of my favorites and can't wait for mine to come this fall. But those pants are just
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Bravo DonL
You will love them

Rstldr

Reaction score

Thank You Gentlemen!

My schedule this semester is absolutely insane.  So, I will be lurking in the background, but not probably not posting that much.  

In the midst of the madness, I will try to post here and there.

Thanks!

Watchman. Best of luck this semester!

Rstldr

Reaction score
Jcrew snuff chukka.
It's interesting. These are a 10.5D as are my 990's. I had to stretch the chukka's to be comfortable whereas the 990's just barely fit and would be better a hair wider. I purchased both trying to dial in my Barrie size which neither of these are
1f633.png
. Guess they really are able to last the suede tighter than the cordovan.

Franky Paige

Reaction score
Do the pull loops look much smaller on this years tankers from Context? Which one do you guys like better? I'm wondering if I should still order them. I appreciate everyone's opinions.

new ones

older ones
Anyone else want to weigh in? thanks for the help. This will be my first Alden purchase.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else want to weigh in? thanks for the help. This will be my first Alden purchase.

FYI, Alden SF and Alden of Madison (NY) both carry black shell tankers without pull tabs (they aren't really good to use anyway, they're just decorative). Their prices are also way lower (SF is $762 for black tanker on trubalance, AoM is $770 for black tanker on Barrie, Context is $835 for black tanker on Barrie).

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice combo RTP! I've always had my eye on the Tobacco LWBs, but haven't pulled the trigger...yet
Thanks friend! They have been relegated to beater status (bars, inclement weather, etc...) and they keep persevering. I've learned from them that my shells could weather the same type of treatment.
nod[1].gif

Franky Paige

Reaction score
FYI, Alden SF and Alden of Madison (NY) both carry black shell tankers without pull tabs (they aren't really good to use anyway, they're just decorative). Their prices are also way lower (SF is $762 for black tanker on trubalance, AoM is $770 for black tanker on Barrie, Context is $835 for black tanker on Barrie).

Whoa, ill take a look. Thanks so much, I knew i came to the right place. I figured let me post the pictures before i pull the trigger because they're so damn much.

mrfixit

Reaction score
What is the aversion to pull tabs? I don't have any on my Alden boots but enjoy and use them on other boots...with or without hooks.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the aversion to pull tabs? I don't have any on my Alden boots but enjoy and use them on other boots...with or without hooks.

They don't work very well, in my opinion. Plus, pull tabs made of shell are especially prone to tearing, because shell has very low tensile strength. A shoe/boot horn is much more effective and much safer for the boot.

iLuveketchup

Reaction score
My denim/trousers would get caught on the pull tabs. I would cut them off if I were to buy boots with tabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads