• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the "Jewish Ivy-Leaguer" haircut

likeitaloud

Reaction score
There's no reason to dress like that until at least first year of undergrad.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
You can also crop it short on the side and back while keeping it curly in the front and top, which is what I do now that I'm in the working world. The curly front will help minimize your forehead as well.
Yeah, I suppose I might try that. I don't really feel like gaining 30 lbs. or whatnot, so anything that helps balance the face would be nice.

You may also want to invest in some better conditioners/anti-frizz measures.
Definitely. Any that you'd recommend?

As an aside, I was more of a mess at 15 than you are now, so no worries. Play around, experiment and don't adhere to any particular rules that you don't want to. You're at the age where you can get away with it. Enjoy it while it lasts! I applaud your personal style because I assume it's not the norm at your high school.
Thanks; I really do appreciate it!

Originally Posted by TowleY
You dont need to be nerdy to go to a ivy league school. Nor do you need to dress a certain way to get into columbia. Only during the interviews do you need to b like that. Dress the way you feel is appropriate. Wear a t shirt and jeans if you find that the best for you. Dont be so hung up on trying to imrpess people with clothing, most people can tell by how youtalk to them how impressed they are from their encoutners with you.

As for the hair, try just evening it out the whole way around your head. Why is there so much hair on the left side but not the same on the right said? Just even it out get a t shirt some jeans. Have some fun in your life.

Originally Posted by likeitaloud
There's no reason to dress like that until at least first year of undergrad.
I dress the way I do because I like to. Anyway, all I'm really wearing these days is a basic skinny jeans & white t-shirt fit with a plain sweater thrown over the t-shirt or, occasionally, a casual buttondown in place of the t-shirt. Then I have a peacoat and a couple nice scarves for winter. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that's overkill for high school.

meowth212

Reaction score
Coming from someone who attends an Ivy League (the big H), the hair styles you're getting at are not quite "Ivy League" at all. The "Ivy League" look is one that emphasizes natural and comfortable, seemingly effortless styles. The parting to one side is fine -- plenty of people part their hair like that because it's how their hair naturally falls. However, the length of your hair is a problem... you look like someone trying really hard to be a scenester. Since your hair is naturally textured, you should just cut it to a length of ~1 inch and let it do its own thing.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Yeah, I suppose I might try that. I don't really feel like gaining 30 lbs. or whatnot, so anything that helps balance the face would be nice.

The look works well for me.

As for gaining some weight; hitting the gym wouldn't hurt but skinny is in, so you might not want to over do it. Under that poor, direct lighting you looked pretty gaunt. Setting some healthy habits early, like going to the gym and eatting better will make things easier when you get into college. It takes many years of trial and error to figure out what works for you. No time like the present.

Sports won't hurt if you want to get into the Ivy League either. I rowed and that gave me a definite edge. If your high school doesn't have Crew, join a local club.

Definitely. Any that you'd recommend?
With shorter hair you won't need to work as hard to avoid split ends and frizzy/puffy hair. Head and Shoulders or Jack Black Conditioners (if you want to upgrade a bit) should be good enough. If you're planning to keep it longer, I'd search around or start another thread about it. There are more knowledgeable than I about conditioners.

Thanks; I really do appreciate it!
No problem. Like working out, building your personal style takes many years of trial and error too.

I dress the way I do because I like to. Anyway, all I'm really wearing these days is a basic skinny jeans & white t-shirt fit with a plain sweater thrown over the t-shirt or, occasionally, a casual buttondown in place of the t-shirt. Then I have a peacoat and a couple nice scarves for winter. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that's overkill for high school.
I don't think so either. I used to dress that way too, with an odd thing here and there. Like one year I wore a big puffy Tommy H. red/white and blue down jacket. I thought it was so cool, but I probably looked like George Costanza in that Seinfeld episode. My girlfriend got rid of it by "accidently" spilling ink all over the white part.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't take contemporary Ivy League looks as a guide. Most Ivy students nowadays dress not any differently than students at a state university. There is still a small contingent of hold-outs, but I think historical Ivy looks are a better guide.

Jay_1989

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
no offense, but you look 12 years old and couldn't have gotten into Smoke's with a real ID (and this coming from someone who went ivy league)

I think you need to pack on about 30 lbs so your face does not overwhelm the rest of your body. As for the hair, try slicking it back a little like Antonio Banderas.

did you go to upenn?

Racove

Reaction score
honestly, a buzz cut looks really good on tight curly hair. think justin timberlake, etc. if you are concerned about a high forehead, stop parting you hair and go with a ceasar style. either way, you should lose all that extra hair. you should probably stick to 0-2 inches of hair. it would make a huge improvement on your overall style.

I'm an Ivy grad. Ivy League haircuts were not any more popular there than in the population at large. I'd never even heard that term until joining this forum. Lastly, don't emulate a WASPy haircut if you dont have WASPy hair. That's going too far to 'fit in' if you ask me. Jews practically outnumber WASPs at alot of Ivy schools anyways.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racove
honestly, a buzz cut looks really good on tight curly hair. think justin timberlake, etc. if you are concerned about a high forehead, stop parting you hair and go with a ceasar style. either way, you should lose all that extra hair. you should probably stick to 0-2 inches of hair. it would make a huge improvement on your overall style.

I'm an Ivy grad. Ivy League haircuts were not any more popular there than in the population at large. I'd never even heard that term until joining this forum. Lastly, don't emulate a WASPy haircut if you dont have WASPy hair. That's going too far to 'fit in' if you ask me. Jews practically outnumber WASPs at alot of Ivy schools anyways.

+1 on everything but the Ceasar. Save that for when you start balding.

Crakaveli

Reaction score
0455_mj_francis_x_bushman.jpg
0446_mj_henry_walthall.jpg
john-barrymore_fs.jpg
0401_richard_dix.jpg
william-powell_fs.jpg

kfan

Reaction score
please, all. circle jerk some more. also, you can't do an ivy league haircut with curly long hair.

KA1555

Reaction score
Not sure if it'll work with your hair, but the traditional ivy-league haircut (and for that matter, the traditional prep/wasp haircut) is usually some form of a comb-over. Examples: Dartmouth circa 1968: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wwgXxAjQed...s1600-h/61.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wwgXxAjQed...00-h/54-55.jpg Even if you can't pull off a comb-over with your type of hair, a shorter, more cropped hairstyle similar to the student at the far left of the above picture is far more in line with what you're aiming for than your current hair. I currently attend an ivy-caliber school, and for the record, there are still a lot of students today, at least at my school, who dress similarly and have similar hairstyles as well. Best of luck to you.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I graduated from an Ivy League school, and I have never heard of this Ivy-Leaguer haircut.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks like the slowly balding haircut.

You'd probably look better with short hair. Your head is quite oddly shaped. Also never saw anyone with your haircut at any school fitting that description.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads