• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

saepnirg12

Reaction score
I am considering a shirt order with Ascot Chang. I understand they have a 3 shirt minimum order, therefore I will probably be picking from the house fabrics to start.

Would someone be able to help me out on pricing?

bamboo

Reaction score

I am considering a shirt order with Ascot Chang. I understand they have a 3 shirt minimum order, therefore I will probably be picking from the house fabrics to start.

Would someone be able to help me out on pricing? 

There is no minimum order. House fabric is about HKD 1700. TM silver line is HKD 2100 or 2150.
The raised a price about 25% over a year or so.

HitMan009

Reaction score
I received my second order from Gordon Yao and also had a chance to break in the first GY suit over the last couple of months. Here are my impressions:

There should be no question that WWChan finishes the suit to a much higher degree in relation to GY. The buttonholes are so perfect on WWChan with every stitch of the buttonhole is in-line and evenly spaced. The pick stitching on the edges etc are far superior to GY but that is not to say GY is a slouch. GY is also finished to quite a high degree but when put next to WWChan, WWChan is the winner.

However, even though WWChan is softer, higher finishing. perhaps because of it's softness, it doesn't mold to the body as my GY does. Over the past few months, the GY feels like it has molded itself after I worn it a few times, something I never felt with the WWChan. When though the WWChan is softer handwise, the GY has shaped itself much better and feels just as soft when wearing it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Such perfect button holes as you suggest seem more likely to have been machine made, the human eye and hand is more likely to have imperfections, similarly with pick stitching.

emc894

Reaction score

I received my second order from Gordon Yao and also had a chance to break in the first GY suit over the last couple of months. Here are my impressions:

There should be no question that WWChan finishes the suit to a much higher degree in relation to GY. The buttonholes are so perfect on WWChan with every stitch of the buttonhole is in-line and evenly spaced. The pick stitching on the edges etc are far superior to GY but that is not to say GY is a slouch. GY is also finished to quite a high degree but when put next to WWChan, WWChan is the winner.

However, even though WWChan is softer, higher finishing. perhaps because of it's softness, it doesn't mold to the body as my GY does. Over the past few months, the GY feels like it has molded itself after I worn it a few times, something I never felt with the WWChan. When though the WWChan is softer handwise, the GY has shaped itself much better and feels just as soft when wearing it.

I use both as well. My WW chan suits fit just a bit better and seem a bit more stylish. The interlinings, buttons etc also seem higher quality. I use GY for warm weather suits because everything is just a bit lighter.

bamboo

Reaction score
It is weird. It seems we continue to hear from members who were requested to make 3 minimum and who were not. Does it depend on store?? The one I used are IFC and Prince bldg.

Anyway i think for the initial orders better to insist on 1 order to improve the pattern and fit.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
It is weird. It seems we continue to hear from members who were requested to make 3 minimum and who were not. Does it depend on store?? The one I used are IFC and Prince bldg.

Anyway i think for the initial orders better to insist on 1 order to improve the pattern and fit.

So I got fitted up by Nelson at the Peninsula a few weeks back.

3 shirt minimum order, they make one as a trial - then you get a fitting, and more than 1 if you're in Hong Kong/you need it - and prices from their house fabrics were $200USD/shirt, but that inc shipping back to Australia.

Lovely service, great eye, would go back no hesitation.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are for weekend wears.

The quasi-nolfork is a Loro Piana 100% cahsmere, the the navel DB is a crombie 100% cashmere.

Again I am very pleased with the outcome.

On hanger

Last edited:

saepnirg12

Reaction score
So I got fitted up by Nelson at the Peninsula a few weeks back.

3 shirt minimum order, they make one as a trial - then you get a fitting, and more than 1 if you're in Hong Kong/you need it - and prices from their house fabrics were $200USD/shirt, but that inc shipping back to Australia.

Lovely service, great eye, would go back no hesitation.

Thanks. This is very helpful as my intention is also to get fitted by Nelson.

The minimum order is quite a downer though. US$600 is a significant initial outlay.

mrclam

Reaction score
FAIK Gordon's work is all done by machine. Its been a couple years, but the last time I talked to him, he mentioned that all his guys are getting up in age, and don't do things by hand anymore.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Such perfect button holes as you suggest seem more likely to have been machine made, the human eye and hand is more likely to have imperfections, similarly with pick stitching.

WW Chan have the best handmade button holes in the business not just in Hong Kong. The problem is they are so neat and even to the untrained they do look like machine made.

AFAIK Gordon's work is all done by machine. Its been a couple years, but the last time I talked to him, he mentioned that all his guys are getting up in age, and don't do things by hand anymore.

My jackets are all have a hand canvased chest and handmade buttonholes but I believe he has a few different situ (tailors) that he uses and you have to speak out from beginning you want more handwork.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads