1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. hippotamus

hippotamus Senior member

Thanks Mr. Fishball. (<-- is your name something to do with the Street food snack btw ?)

The pant looks very nice, just one question : those inner buttons are for brace ? If yes why is the right side missing some ?

Wow price raised 50% in 4 years.....

2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Lai only cut the pattern for those trouser but does not make them. I am aware that Lai has a few contractors where one can apparently do trouser in quasi-Ambrosi workmanship with extra cost.

I suspect and agree that people are keen on Lai because of his consistency. Various big tailors can go very wrong even if minor communication problems.

3. baromatic

baromatic Well-Known Member

Between $750 and what Lai takes for commission is quite a substantial amount. It's probably not good to ask on public forum about your trousermaker but as you know my option before and Lai is big difference as well. Very nice trouser btw.

4. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Yes, the famous HK snack :)

The missing button is inside the "belt" pocket (actually I don't know what it called).

5. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Add, you know that I know Lai is cutter not maker.
    Actually I don't know who make my pants, I order it thru a "tailor". My point is for that amount of money, you can still find a better option/value in the market.

6. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Lol only for you... no one knows who works for you.

7. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Haha, not really, he is not my personal tailor.
    If I can find it, you can find it, it is a game of trial and error, no secret at all.

8. IsABellyDad

IsABellyDad Active Member

I call it "watch pocket" in Chinese.

9. IsABellyDad

Always curious when people are saying "quasi-certain-famous-tailor" workmanship. Any photos to share?

I've so far made my pants from Baromon, Loa Hai Shing and WW Chan... and I'm still wondering what would be a better pair of pants...

Don't have other photos with me now... Just sharing a small detail I asked Chan to do for the cuffs of the pants: buttons to unfold the cuffs.

[​IMG]

10. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I think Lai just copy some of the Ambrosi pants feature, but in terms of workmanship, it is far far beyond Ambrosi level IMHO.

11. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

You are probably mistaken.

I have confirmed with Car and the fatboy (which you probably know as well) can acutally replicate 100% Ambrosi workmanship.

The replication contained, inter alia, the followings:

1)Triple curtain waistband
    2)Hand tag on all pleats and pockets
    3)Full on hand stitching in all attachment areas
    3)Side seam of trouser also hand stitched
    4)Button Cuff
    5)Two internal lock button and four button fly
    6)all hand sewn buttonholes
    7)Light and stiff waistband canvass

I know of the member had went a long way to ask fatboy to do it. He actually has a Ambrosi Trouser and passed to fatboy for replication.

Obviously, I asked about the price and turn out time for these extra work... I just have not pull the trigger yet.

12. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

If you have seen fatboy's quasi-Ambrosi trouser.... you will be impressed. Beside fit which is more dependent to the shape and taste, the workmanship is at a different level. Obviously that is if you pay Fatboy extra money to make it.

13. hippotamus

hippotamus Senior member

Extra money compare to other HK tailor.....but still half of what ambrosi charge ?

14. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I don't know, may be you can show us some pics to see how this workmanship look like.
    For what I saw the "Fatboy" work before, I am not impressed. :lurk:

15. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I saw few Hong Kong Sifu made pants with those feature, but not on par with Ambrosi "craftmanship". That is what I am saying.

16. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Well I understand "you get what you paid", but at least you have to admit these are pretty amazing for replicates

As I reiterate, I only say Fatboy can "copy" them in a less costly bargain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. baromatic

baromatic Well-Known Member

Is this the Cricket club by Fox Bros?
    Very nice indeed. I didn't know this existed in HK, but now that I do... I'll be doing more CMT
    Thanks for sharing.

18. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I do not own this. I hope one member in here will not mind as I ask Car for some pictures.

I think those are off white flannel from Fox Brothers. I suspect the owner made CMT with them.

I am also now having something made by Lai. This time will be dramatically different from Lai's usual stuff.

1 person likes this.
  19. IsABellyDad

I quite like pants using buttons instead of zipper. Below is mine (the same one from Chan):
    [​IMG]

20. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I'm a philistine, I stick to zips for my everyday suits.