• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Bespoke Suit Hong Kong Tailors

MGLL

Reaction score
Thanks for posting these. These photographs are excellent and show the finished garment well. the only extra one I would suggest is one showing the whole of the interior of the coat as well.

In many ways it looks quite good but;

The sleeves look way too short - especially the left one.
There is some rumpling at the back - not too serious and most would not even notice it.
The trousers do not look quite right in the thighs but that might just be how they are sitting on your shoe - see the sixth photo. Nothing to worry about though.
Next time ask for a heavier lining. I have noticed on several tailors (Not Chan.Yao or Yu) that the lining is far too lightweight which allows the construction of the coat to be seen behind which is not good at all. Even in HK that does not make the coat too warm.

On detail, I assume that the trousers have the standard pocket (for HK tailors) in the waistband and the coat a ticket pocket? I assume that you did not ask for any more nor did Lee Baron offer them.

The sleeves are the one to look at but otherwise it is a decent looking suit, well done.

I look forward to you posting the same array of views of the blue suit.

Cuffs on the shirt are too wide. Suit is perfect. Enjoy it!
I think the sleeves on the shirt are simply too long. Especially on the left side, where the collar has pulled down. I don't think the issue is the suit. I admittedly do find the back somewhat "hourglassy" - but perhaps that is simple your figure... do you work out your shoulders/back more than your chest/arms?

Thanks a lot for your comments, really appreciated. What would you advise I do? Get the sleeves of the suit lengthened a cm or so? or have my shirt's altered slightly? I am able to smooth out the ruffling on the back so it looks crisp with just my hand so I don't think its an issue. The assumptions you made regarding detail are correct :) I will take your advice and ask for a heavier lining for sure next time, great advice so thanks! No, I do not work out my shoulders/back more lol.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would certainly suggest that you consider inside pockets in more detail and get extra or pockets suitable for the size of your phone etc rather than merely accepting the default. Other details also.

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score
All in all I think it is a very nice suit and it fits you well. You can be proud and wear it with confidence. The only issue is the sleeve length. I understand that some men prefer to show a bit more cuff than the traditional 1/4 inch, but I think that too much sleeve is showing- even being liberal.
I might suggest taking your suits and shirts to a local tailor and have them done together so that they are all uniform. The main thing is not to be worrying about your cuffs all day. That will detract from your poise and confidence.
Get them set up just right and as you interview your mind will be in the right place- not on your cuffs!
Good luck!

MGLL

Reaction score
All in all I think it is a very nice suit and it fits you well. You can be proud and wear it with confidence. The only issue is the sleeve length. I understand that some men prefer to show a bit more cuff than the traditional 1/4 inch, but I think that too much sleeve is showing- even being liberal.
I might suggest taking your suits and shirts to a local tailor and have them done together so that they are all uniform. The main thing is not to be worrying about your cuffs all day. That will detract from your poise and confidence.
Get them set up just right and as you interview your mind will be in the right place- not on your cuffs!
Good luck!
Thank you for your comment! I agree with you, It's a shame because I did actually ask Peter Lee to take the sleeve length up a tiny bit when they were pretty much perfect before - bit of a newbie mistake. I will take your advice and get the sleeves lengthened a tiny bit.

regards,

Marco

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Thank you for your comment! I agree with you, It's a shame because I did actually ask Peter Lee to take the sleeve length up a tiny bit when they were pretty much perfect before - bit of a newbie mistake. I will take your advice and get the sleeves lengthened a tiny bit.

regards,

Marco

I'm still learning too, but it's a great way to invest your time and effort! (and money!)

Haroldwong

Reaction score
I think they normally make the left cuff bigger for the watch. its kind of falling out the suit sleeve too much. The shirt itself looks a little baggy. Suit looks nice, could use
some improvements on the soulder pitch but minor

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads