• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
This post is about cutting (British cut Vs Italian cut)

We are all different. We don’t need to argue British cut or Italian cut better, we pick whatever we prefer.

This is not my jacket. I asked the sifu of British cut who made this one, it has got all the Italian options, why this is not an Italian suit. He said customers can always ask for different options of Italian style. He cuts the fabrics with his old school set skills of British cutting, this is British cut. He said it’s not appropriate to judge the cutting on the wooden model. Tailor shops make the suits tailor made according to the size of their wooden models, they can show perfect fit suits. Most baotou has got one or no wooden model to hold all clothing, we can’t see perfect fitting with that.

1-jpg.1863626

I asked him the difference between British cut and Italian cut. He has over 5 decades of tailor experience and he explained the followings based on his old school traditional tailoring:

What makes a suit outstanding? One of the main factors is the cutting.

In the old days, British cutting was higher grade than Italian cutting. Italian cutting has been improving in recent years. Cutting is very much depending on the sifu skills and experiences.

British cut is most focusing on the cutting that fits the body and the curve of the body. They have their traditional old school skill set, this is different from Italian cut (this is depending on the sifu experiences). I don’t know all the terms.

Italian cut is less focusing on the curve than British cut. They pay more attention on the style and options. Italian suits have better workmanship than British suits.

He said the new fashion trend has been changed. Not everyone follows the old school. I don’t want to challenge whatever this is. I cannot even tell the tailor terms. He is based on his old school traditional tailoring experiences to say the above, we might see different definitions in modern days.

----------------

It’s not appropriate to judge the cutting on the wooden model. The model size is different.

Yates vintage fabric, made in England. This is my suit made by the sifu of British cut:

3pcs-jpg.1858719

Scabal Capri, made in England. This is my suit made by the sifu of Italian cut:

scabal-capri-jpg.1858720

I found both are perfect. The difference is I look better with British cut than Italian cut. The Italian suit has a little better workmanship than the British suit.

Blind test in August 2022:

I was wearing my British suit to pick up my Italian suit. After I accepted the Italian suit, the Italian tailor was looking at my British suit, and said it's perfect fitting. I didn’t tell who made this. He checked around and said almost the same grade of workmanship, the difference is he made better Milanese buttonhole.

I was wearing my other British suit a few years ago, and checked with other sifu in Mirador if they can make the same cutting, because I was looking for more sifu that can make my suits. I didn’t tell who made my suit. Most of them have looked around my British suit, they said they can’t do the same good cutting, or for much higher price.

Last edited:

Petey

Reaction score
Hi everyone

can someone tell me who can do a Milanese buttons on my sleeves of my off the rack suit?

Thanks in advance

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
My blog: 14E) Services for tailors
Baotou tailors are going to 3/F 4/F 7/F for services and accessories, e.g. buttons, buttonholes, canvas, linings, etc.
Mirador, very close to Ming K 4/F A4, a shop says "鈕門、 鳳眼、 綉字". a few sifu in and out of this shop, they don't have fix time working there.
a few small shops in 3/F 4/F are doing the same things for tailors, you have to walk around to see them. they might do Milanese buttonholes.

if not these shops, you have to ask suit baotou, they know where to make Milanese buttonholes in Mirador. might be 7/F.

Last edited:

Petey

Reaction score
My blog: 14E) Services for tailors (3/F 4/F 7/F)
Mirador 4/F, very close to Ming K, a shop says "鈕門、 鳳眼、 綉字". a few sifu in and out this shop, they don't have fix time working there.
a few small shops in 3/F 4/F are doing the same things for tailors, you have to walk around to see them. they might do Milanese buttons.

if not these shops, you have to ask suit baotou, they know where to make Milanese buttons in Mirador. might be 7/F.
Thanks mrpekingroad! Appreciate your kind reply

Sashidc

Reaction score
just made an Italian lamb suede Safari jacket

this is my cost:
Italian lamb suede, HK$25 X 51foot = HK$1.275k (leather fabric shop in TST)
tailor cost: HK$1k, made in HK
button + Japanese cotton lining : around HK$100
RiRi 2 way zipper : RMB180
total: HK$2.6k

tailor workshop is located in Fanling, NT, Hong Kong.

Hello - thanks for sharing info about HK tailors.
Could you please let me know which store you buy the lamb suede and RiRi zippers from?
I am also using the tailor from Fanling.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
If you have found the leather jacket tailor from Fanling, you must have read my blog. It tells many things and all answers:
13A) Leather fabric
There are 2 famous leather fabric shops in TST. I got my lamb suede from Da Hwa.
Leaton also offers similar things.
14B) Zipper
RiRi does not do local HK business, we have to buy RiRi from the Shanghai agent. They shipped the zipper to my HK address.

Sashidc

Reaction score
If you have found the leather jacket tailor from Fanling, you must have read my blog. It tells many things and all answers:
13A) Leather fabric
There are 2 famous leather fabric shops in TST. I got my lamb suede from Da Hwa.
Leaton also offers similar things.
14B) Zipper
RiRi does not do local HK business, we have to buy RiRi from the Shanghai agent. They shipped the zipper to my HK address.
Thanks!!

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Last edited:

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Hello - thanks for sharing info about HK tailors.
Could you please let me know which store you buy the lamb suede and RiRi zippers from?
I am also using the tailor from Fanling.
There's a couple warehouses where you can get quality suede. Can PM you if you want.

Also, add Talon to your zipper wishlist?

Sashidc

Reaction score
There's a couple warehouses where you can get quality suede. Can PM you if you want.

Also, add Talon to your zipper wishlist?
Sure, I appreciate if you could share the warehouse info.
Would you happen to know places that carry good quality knit ribbing material for the hem and wrists?

thanks in advance! Please PM

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Sure, I appreciate if you could share the warehouse info.
Would you happen to know places that carry good quality knit ribbing material for the hem and wrists?

thanks in advance! Please PM
PMd. Ribbing made out of natural fibers (save cotton or maybe even wool) are not easy to find. Try Discovery Knitting / UK. Shipping won't be cheap though I'm afraid

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
This post is to provide examples of good product from baotou tailor.
(These products are not mine, photos from sifu IG.)

I talked about baotou sifu with over 5 decades of tailor experiences. Actually, some got over 55 years or over 60 years in the industry. They are age 70+ or age 80+. Without consumers support, they won't be working in Mirador everyday. Some told me they have planned for retiring, and will take orders for a few more years. I asked a few baotou to show more of their good works in their webs, they said they always make good products but they don't have time to do the online things. Because they don't want to be famous, they are taking small orders only. An example is the Fanling tailor, he has already retired, I asked him to take orders for his spare time, his web is for his family affairs only. This explains why they don't do things same as tailor shops, and consumers should understand they don't provide services like tailor shops.

Baotou can make good products. These are good product examples from 2 famous baotou.

This baotou tailor in Mirador said he is good in making overcoat and tuxedo. This one is an example, this is an overcoat with Zegna cashmere. In most cases, consumers pick British wool for overcoat. This one is a special case for different needs:
ZegnaCashmereOvercoat..JPG
ZegnaCashmereOvercoat4..JPG
ZegnaCashmere..JPG

This baotou tailor said he is also good in making tuxedo:
Tuxedo1.NgSifu..JPG

I asked this baotou tailor to show me good trousers he made:
Trousers6.NgSifu..JPG

this one is Baotou Ng sifu.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
This post is to provide examples of good product from baotou tailor.
(These products are not mine, photos from sifu IG.)

This is another baotou tailor. Tailors always suggest British wool for overcoat for usual case. He made this overcoat with British wool:
Overcoat.WongSY..JPG

He said he is happy making good products:
Square.WongSY..JPG

Square4.WongSY..JPG

He is famous making good trousers. He made me good trousers, and I will order more after the Chinese new year. These products are not mine:
Trousers2.WongSY..JPG

this one is Baotou Wong SY sifu.
-----------------

Due to the pandemic, many baotou have already stopped taking order for the Chinese new year.

Last edited:

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Hi everyone

can someone tell me who can do a Milanese buttons on my sleeves of my off the rack suit?

Thanks in advance
FB_IMG_1671586934641.jpg
FB_IMG_1671586941281.jpg
FB_IMG_1671586946541.jpg
Screenshot_20221221_094252.jpg

This might give you an idea of how those might look: hand-cut, machine-stitched.

This *likely* means you'll get a cold shoulder for your request, something what I experienced a few years back. Don't let me stop you from paying the visit though.

Last edited:

Petey

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads