• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
this is the low season for tailor industry in HK, it means most tailor shops don't have much work. that includes baotou/tailors taking orders from government uniform business. baotou giving priority to tailor shops is not a big secret, but there is not much work in the industry from baotou telling me about the business for the moment.

the unfinished work is still in HK, it means it is made in HK, and the sifu of your baotou is on sick leave? you don't know the reason, you don't know how long you will be waiting. your baotou should give you a solution after 3months waiting. this is up to you.

if this is not low season, good baotou and good workshops are very busy, and 3/4months is quite extreme. this is the normal speed: 2/3/4 weeks from day 1 to delivery of end products.
I mean, I did ask him why, but he wouldn't say it ??‍♂️ From him going down with a disease to not giving a reason at all, I've asked for reasons and received plenty. I understand I need to get a real reason; it's just that I can't get a real one. ??‍♂️ And this is slowly becoming a matter of (dis)honesty

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
After incessant nagging, I finally got to try on the long awaited sport coat.
Lesson learned tldr: bespoke isn't quite bespoke sometimes.
(EDIT / DISCLAIMER: Refering to what @Petey said, despite the sarcasm and rather harsh comments here and there, I actually quite liked that jacket)
And if you don't mind a ramble, let's get right into it:
The try-on
I tried on the coat and immediately noticed a few things. Starting with the positives:
- The fit and silhouette felt just right
- The back was clean enough
- Shoulder roping? Check. Concave shoulders? Can be more so but check
- Relatively comfortable to lift my arms
As far as things Fung and his team could improve:
- Right shoulder. A bit of rippling along the seam
- Thought Fung said the shoulders could be done without padding. Turned out the coat is still more padded than what I usually get
- The shirring was *magically* gone. Too late to do anything about it now. Welp
- The supposed 2nd-fitting was also *magically* gone. Welp x 2

What's at work?
- Not every cutter understands what you're looking for. They are obviously not taught to cut every style of coat the world has to offer
- Look, just because a cutter knows exactly what you're looking for, it doesn't mean the makers are willing or able to follow
- Cutter-maker communication isn't always smooth. A cutter, for example, can simply ask the maker to sew so and so areas without giving concrete numbers. What that means is it's up to the makers to - you guessed it - guess
- Performance varies from fabric to fabric but hey, it's both the cutter and the makers job to take those things into account - except if they don't, forget or simply decide to slack

The conclusion
Even in a supposedly bespoke setting where you get into minute details of what you want made, you will likely just get a fraction of what's expected. Pics to follow next week hopefully

Last edited:

thesupremegrape

Reaction score
After incessant nagging, I finally got to try on the long awaited sport coat.
Lesson learned tldr: bespoke isn't quite bespoke sometimes.
(EDIT / DISCLAIMER: Refering to what @Petey said, despite the sarcasm and rather harsh comments here and there, I actually quite liked that jacket)
And if you don't mind a ramble, let's get right into it:
The try-on
I tried on the coat and immediately noticed a few things. Starting with the positives:
- The fit and silhouette felt just right
- The back was clean enough
- Shoulder roping? Check. Concave shoulders? Can be more so but check
- Relatively comfortable to lift my arms
As far as things Fung and his team could improve:
- Right shoulder. A bit of rippling along the seam
- Thought Fung said the shoulders could be done without padding. Turned out the coat is still more padded than what I usually get
- The shirring was *magically* gone. Too late to do anything about it now. Welp
- The supposed 2nd-fitting was also *magically* gone. Welp x 2

What's at work?
- Not every cutter understands what you're looking for. They are obviously not taught to cut every style of coat the world has to offer
- Look, just because a cutter knows exactly what you're looking for, it doesn't mean the makers are willing or able to follow
- Cutter-maker communication isn't always smooth. A cutter, for example, can simply ask the maker to sew so and so areas without giving concrete numbers. What that means is it's up to the makers to - you guessed it - guess
- Performance varies from fabric to fabric but hey, it's both the cutter and the makers job to take those things into account - except if they don't, forget or simply decide to slack

The conclusion
Even in a supposedly bespoke setting where you get into minute details of what you want made, you will likely just get a fraction of what's expected. Pics to follow next week hopefully
Do you have any photos of the finished product?

thesupremegrape

Reaction score
Narrowed down my fabrics to navy cloth from: Dormeuil, Dugdale Bros., Holland and Sherry. Same super count and all twill worsted. How would you go deciding between the 3?

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Finally picked up the jacket! Didn't get a good shot of it but you may be able to tell that the concave shoulders are - well, *very* subtle let's say.

Anyhow, the armholes are cut very high, which makes it super easy to life my arms and swing em. Love the fish-mouths too.

Jacket's long enough btw. I just gotta learn to take better selfies...

Attachments

• 20210714_215806.jpg
    20210714_215806.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210714_221236.jpg
    20210714_221236.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 179

thesupremegrape

Reaction score
Finally picked up the jacket! Didn't get a good shot of it but you may be able to tell that the concave shoulders are - well, *very* subtle let's say.

Anyhow, the armholes are cut very high, which makes it super easy to life my arms and swing em. Love the fish-mouths too.

Jacket's long enough btw. I just gotta learn to take better selfies...

Not bad, but definitely wouldn't conside that a concave shoulder haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads