• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
This post is about how we save with discount fabrics. We save more with high price fabrics at discount price. We don't just save on workmanship.

Case 1: overcoat
This is an overcoat of Zegna cashmere made by Ng sifu, this is beautiful, and this is not mine. Photo from sifu IG:
overcoat, Zegna cashmere.JPG
Zegna Cashmere.JPG

I found an online fabric shop (with reputation) selling Zegna cashmere for £92.00/metre, postal cost extra. That means the cost is around HK$2.5k (2.5metre) for fabric (include postal cost) + HK$3.4k Ng sifu workmanship = around HK$5.9k

How much does a mid price bespoke tailor shop in HK charge for a Zegna cashmere overcoat? close to or more than double if I go to the bespoke I used to go a few years ago.

Case 2: suit
I found the same online fabric shop selling Scabal Londoner for £55.00/metre, postal cost extra. That means the cost is around HK$1.9k (3.1metre) for fabric (include postal cost) + HK$4.5k Wong SY sifu workmanship = around HK$6.4k

How much does a mid price bespoke tailor shop in HK charge for a Scabal Londoner suit? close to or more than double if I go to the bespoke I used to go a few years ago.

Case 3:
Just a few examples, look at my Holland and Sherry vintage gabardine of #1,857 and British vintage gabardine #1,859. I also got similiar price for Dugdale Bros mohair from another local fabric shop. They cost me abit more than HK$200/yard a few years ago. If I order regular, it costs me over HK$800/yard.

We can buy brand names from online and local fabric shops at discount price, e.g. Dormeuil, Holland and Sherry, Scabal, etc. This is not rare.

-------------------

When we go for suits of entry level, we order fabrics of entry level, e.g. VBC 110s 120s, Drago 130s, Giorgio Vallino 130s, etc. We order fused suits (around HK$1.5k workmanship), the total will be around HK$3k, includes fabric of entry level. We order full canvas suits (HK$3.4k workmanship), the total will be around HK$5k, includes fabric of entry level.

Mid price bespoke tailor shops in HK charge around HK$7k+ (full canvas) for fabrics of entry level. We save abit in total when we order fabrics of entry level. Tailor shops charge more on higher price fabrics. We save more on higher price fabrics.

When we want suits for daily work life, we want something durable, we order full canvas suits. We save more with fabrics of higher price at discount price. We know what we need in our daily work life, too much Italian style will make things bad, e.g. Neapolitan shoulders. We don't want the hot gosip things for daily work life.

This is the fun part of CMT and go Mirador Baotou. We save on fabrics and we save on workmanship. Many consumers are working professionals, we know how to calculate cost and risk.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@dygital

suit sifu and shirt sifu don't make safari jacket. look at #1,860, both sifu can make safari jacket of leather, suede leather, and linen. I have seen their safari jackets of Irish linen and bomber jackets of wool.

my blog shows 5 sifu who can make safari jackets. they can work well with linen and wool, and they should work well with knitted jersey fabrics.
10) tailors and BaoTou for CMT suit
C) safari jacket
http://suitcmt.blogspot.com/
https://pekingroadhk.pixnet.net/blog/post/83119709

Last edited:

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Anyone have experience getting a safari jacket made? I asked my shirtmaker but he won't make them.

Does Ng make them?

Would also be interested in getting something like this made...
If you want sth close enough to a safari and don't mind having no belt / vent, I know one shirtmaker who might still make it.

Otherwise, Jantzen might be your best bet.

As far as tebas you might as well just get sth RTW online lol Curzon has a few at <200euros and is at least from Spain if you want a real bang for your buck

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
After #1,861, this post is about how we save with discount fabrics, part 2. We save on both fabric and workmanship, this is one of the reasons why we go CMT and baotou. We can buy brand names at discount price from online fabric shops and local fabric shops. I prefer to pick British brands. British brands (more durable) Vs Italian brands (better hand feel).

Case 1, Zegna cashmere overcoat, full canvas, by Ng sifu
Ng sifu was famous for making overcoat and tuxedo when he was working as a in-house tailor of a top grade bespoke tailor shop. When we order overcoats in Mirador, he makes the lapel by himself in HK. That is cutting and fitting in HK, the Shenzhen sifu makes the overcoat except the lapel. Ng sifu makes the lapel in his HK workshop.

How much does a top grade bespoke tailor shop in HK charge for a Zegna cashmere overcoat? Ng said at least HK$35k.

Case 2: suit, full canvas, by Wong SY sifu
The same online shop of case 1 offers brand name fabrics at discount (postage cost extra), just made a quick check, e.g.
Dormeuil Amadeus 365: £44/metre.
Scabal 160s: £70/metre, 150s: £55/metre, Londoner 140s: £55/metre.
Zegna 14milmil14: £89/metre.

We can easily add up the fabric cost (3.1metre) and the cost of baotou workmanship. As of today, £1 is about HK$9.5. Dormeuil Amadeus 365 suit cost around HK$6k, Scabal 160s suit cost around HK$6.8k, Scabal 150s suit and Londoner 140s suit cost around HK$6.3k, Zegna 14milmil14 suit cost around HK$7.4k, etc. How much does a mid price bespoke tailor shop in HK charge for a Dormeuil or Scabal or Zegna 14milmil14 suit? close to or more than double if I go to the bespoke I used to go a few years ago.

Mid price bespoke tailor shops in HK charge between HK$7k and HK$8k (full canvas) for fabrics of entry level, e.g. VBC110s. They charge more for higher price fabrics. They have to take more profit to cover their monthly rental cost.

2 examples to tell we save more when we order higher price fabrics:
a) Zegna cashmere overcoat of case 1
b) Zegna 14milmil14 suit
a) & b) cost at least HK$35k from top grade bespoke tailor shops in HK, could be more. Yes, this 2 Zegna are high grade and fancy. Italian!

Case 3: suit fabrics from HK local fabric shops
This vintage Holland & Sherry worsted (navy blue) is another example, I got this 3.3yard for HK$600. This is about the same grade of Dugdale Bros NFW, the different is this H&S got better hand feel.

Holland & Sherry worsted..JPG

This is not rare, we can buy vintage fabrics of British brands and Italian brands at discount price in many HK local fabric shops. Good fabrics come and go fast. Golden circle raised their price for vintage some time ago, their vintage fabrics start from HK$300+/yard. Yun Chow Street in SSP is for people who have good experiences only.

We can buy Scabal (entry level) and Dormeuil (entry level) from Kwong Hing. This is not vintage. They might say they got old stocks, we can pick from a number of their catalog before they cut the fabrics. I remember Scabal (entry level) cost around HK$400/yard and Dormeuil (entry level) cost around HK$450/yard a few years ago, this is their regular price. They might raise the price already.

Not limited to Ng sifu and Wong SY sifu, there are too many baotou tailors in and out of Mirador taking CMT orders. Most of them charge between HK$2.8k and HK$3.5k for workmanship. We pick whatever we prefer.

We can easily add up the fabric cost (3.3yard) and the cost of baotou workmanship. How much does a mid price bespoke tailor shop in HK charge for a Holland & Sherry worsted or Scabal (entry level) or Dormeuil (entry level) suit? close to or more than double if I go to the bespoke I used to go a few years ago.

Case 4: overcoat and trench coat, full canvas, by Ng sifu
In case of ordinary body of 5foot10 for an overcoat, we need 2.6yard if the length is above the knee, and 2.8yard if the length is below the knee.

In case of making overcoats and trench coat, he makes the lapel by himself in HK. That is cutting and fitting in HK, the Shenzhen sifu makes the overcoat and trench coat except the lapel. Ng sifu makes the lapel in his HK workshop.

This is my overcoat made by Ng sifu, Marling & Evans 720g. I ordered the fabric at regular price from the hk agent, the fabric cost was around HK$2k for 2.6yard.

MarlingEvansOvercoat..JPG

MarlingEvans..JPG

This is my trench coat made by Ng sifu, Holland and Sherry vintage gabardine. I got the fabric from a local fabric shop, the fabric cost around HK$600 for 2.6yard.

Trench coat1..JPG

Trench coat6..JPG

We can easily add up the cost of fabric and the cost of baotou workmanship. Marling & Evans overcoat cost around HK$5.4k. Holland and Sherry trench coat cost HK$4k. How much does a mid price bespoke tailor shop in HK charge for a Marling & Evans overcoat or Holland and Sherry trench coat? close to or more than double if I go to the bespoke I used to go a few years ago.

Case 5: tuxedo, full canvas, by Ng sifu
In case of making tuxedo, he makes the lapel by himself in HK. That is cutting and fitting in HK, the Shenzhen sifu makes the tuxedo except the lapel. Ng sifu makes the lapel in his HK workshop. This is a tux made by Ng sifu, it’s not mine, photo from sifu IG.

Tuxedo1.NgSifu..JPG

Trousers9.NgSifu..JPG

I don’t know the fabric brand of the above one. I know Huddersfield tuxedo fabrics cost between HK$500/yard and HK$700/yard. Tuxedo workmanship by Ng sifu is suit price + HK$1k (include all silk lining). Let’s say tuxedo fabric cost HK$700/yard. That means the cost of a Huddersfield tuxedo is around HK$2.3k (fabric cost) + HK$4.4k (suit price + HK$1k: workmanship cost) = around HK$6.7k.

There are baotou charging different rates for tuxedo. Some charge suit price + HK$1k, some charge 50% extra of suit price. Tailor shops are usually charging 50% extra of suit price.

Case 6: suit, full canvas, made in HK
When we make an order for made in HK, we can choose either British canvas or China canvas. Of course, British canvas cost more.

A few retired sifu who were working for expensive bespoke tailor shops are now taking orders through baotou. That is cutting and fitting by baotou in Mirador HK, and made by retired sifu at home in HK.

a) Top grade bespoke tailor shops are always using British canvas.
b) Mid price bespoke tailor shops are always using China canvas.
c) Baotou in and out of Mirador are always using China canvas (except when we order British canvas). Baotou are actually the tailors behind tailor shops, making suits always with China canvas.

Case 7: shirt, made in HK Vs made in Shenzhen
shirts for casual wears.

1) China cotton around HK$150 + workmanship (made in HK) HK$130/pc = around HK$280.

ChinaCotton..JPG

2) Cistes cotton around HK$220 + workmanship (made in Shenzhen) HK$170/pc = around HK$390.

CistesCotton1..JPG

------------------

I provided a few examples here, other people don’t need to follow me. There are too many to choose from. Many baotou showed me their products, I see many consumers are real experts and they got their own channels to pick their fabrics.

It's not only one suit we order for daily work life. When we add up 5 suits, 10 suits, 20 suits, 30 suits and so on, for long term, we see the big price difference.

More than just saving money when we order CMT with baotou:
1) we deal directly with the tailors
2) different sources of fabric
Unlike tailor shops, this is self-service. It means we need more experiences to handle situations. As we are gaining more experiences, 1) and 2) are leading to us more choices.

Last edited:

MonsieurChan

Reaction score
I don't like to do this, but someone has to do it. I've learned it the hard way by wasting my money and time. I don't recommend Ng Sifu at all.

He is not client friendly at all. The whole process is painful and the end result is a suit that is too tight with ugly arms.

The worse is when you ask him for fixes, he will make up ****** excuses and blame you from doing alterations. Not worth money, not worth my time, very very painful..

I prefer 100% times Wong Sy Fu who is much more client friendly, does a great job and much more honest.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
This post is about suit alterations.

There are too many baotou tailors in and out of Mirador to choose from. We pick whoever we prefer. Baotou are technical people, they don't communicate with customers like commercial people. Some people say they got good communication with Ng and some say they don't. Many say they receive good services from Ng. I got good services from both Ng sifu and Wong SY sifu. Both sifu are in my top list. Ng sifu is for British cut, and Wong SY sifu is for Italian cut. Wong SY sifu is good, because he is outsourcing to an expensive Shenzhen workshop doing almost everything for Wong sifu. Ng sifu is managing his own Shenzhen workshop, he is good and he can do almost everything in his Mirador workshop.

The following 2 examples are my suits and I lost 50 pounds, I asked Ng sifu to do alterations. It took some time for lots of work. It's good result, no pain at all. I found perfect fittings!

This Dugdale Bros NFW suit was made by Ng sifu when I was 200 lbs a few years ago. I asked Ng sifu to post it in his IG to record this one, direct from my wardrobe to his workshop without ironing:

NFW.FrenchBlue.jpg

After I lost 50 lbs some time ago, I asked Ng sifu to do alterations. It's really worth my money and my time. I am very happy, I got perfect fitting on my new body, better than this one:

NFW.1.jpg

Another one, this is my Fresco suit made by Ng sifu when I was 200 lbs a few years ago. I asked Ng sifu to post it in his IG to record this one, direct from my wardrobe to his workshop without ironing:

Fresco.MidGrey.jpg

After I lost 50 lbs some time ago, I asked Ng sifu to do alterations. It's really worth my money and my time. I am very happy, I got perfect fitting on my new body, better than this one:

Fresco.1.jpg

This is the real me, I am 5 foot 10, I was 200 lbs. I lost 50 lbs by fastering in less than 1 year. The above 2 suits were made by Ng sifu when I was 200 lbs, then I got a new body of 150 lbs. After alterations by Ng sifu, this 2 suits look much better. For this 50 lbs alterations, 1 fitting is needed, and the end result is perfect fitting for my new body! This kind of alternation requires more skill than making a new one, it's like a reconstruction. Ng sifu has to do the cutting again. Some say 50 lbs difference is NOT quite possible to get good result for alteration. This is a test of tailor skill and Ng sifu did the job by himself in his Mirador workshop.

--------------

I called Ng sifu a few days ago about my new suit for this Summer. He said he is loaded with orders, he got many return customers. Yes, I knew that. I always hear positive feedback from Ng sifu return customers about Ng good works.

There are similar cases all the time:

a) Sales people from tailor shops say NO to baotou, but they order CMT with baotou. They know baotou are good, but they don't want consumers to deal with baotou directly.

b) Tailor shops have been asking Mirador baotou to work for them all the time. A while ago, Ng sifu rejected a few tailor shops asking him to work for them. Tailor shops want Ng to work for them, but Ng prefers to deal with direct consumers. That's why tailor shops don't want consumers to deal with Ng sifu directly.

c) #1,801 told the history of Mirador and that explained why some can communicate with baotou and some cannot. In a short form, Baotou in Mirador are aged 70+ 80+ 90+, they are still living in the 1960's 1970's 1980's with old HK culture. Baotou don't change themself for consumers in the modern time, they are well-trained tailors behind tailor shops, and they are uncles from the old HK.

d) When a consumer is expecting Italian cut, and he went to a baotou for British cut. He's not happy with the cutting, and asked for alterations. I think that consumer has been to the wrong place. It's wrong expectation for the cutting. I don't ask any sifu to do alteration for the cutting, because different sifu has different cutting style. This is the problem behind the argument, it's the cutting you are not expecting. I don't think a sifu of British cut will change cutting to Italian cut, or a sifu of Italian cut will change cutting to British cut. Understand your needs and talk to your sifu, British cut and Italian cut have different focus, ie. do your research to pick the right baotou for you. #1,786 tells British cut Vs Italian cut. I am happy with both British cut and Italian cut. I feel better with British cut than Italian cut for my body. I won't ask Wong SY sifu to change his cutting to British cut.

Everyone has different body, we look better with British cut or Italian cut. That's why there is no baotou that will suit best for everyone. Another baotou said he is for HK cut, he said he does not make British cut or Italian cut. He makes suits of fine fitting, nothing too fancy, he called that HK cut. Expecting Italian cut and went to baotou of British cut, it's like you are expecting Italian food and went to a decent Chinese restaurant. Of course, you will find everything wrong. Why ask the Chinese chef to recook? The Chinese chef does not make Italian food. You have been to the wrong place!

No need to discuss a) and b) intentions, they got to do their jobs. Don't bother, tailor shops and baotou are for 2 different types of consumer. Tailor shops provide services, and Baotou don't provide service. For baotou customers, we don't spend extra for services we don't need, this is our choice.

Last edited:

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
I don't like to do this, but someone has to do it. I've learned it the hard way by wasting my money and time. I don't recommend Ng Sifu at all.

He is not client friendly at all. The whole process is painful and the end result is a suit that is too tight with ugly arms.

The worse is when you ask him for fixes, he will make up ****** excuses and blame you from doing alterations. Not worth money, not worth my time, very very painful..

I prefer 100% times Wong Sy Fu who is much more client friendly, does a great job and much more honest.
Nuff said. Thank you. Pics would help A LOT if you don't mind showing.

Screw Ng.

EDIT: just being nosy, what did Ng say exactly?
And it baffles me how Lok was never defended the way Ng was. Revisionism is a real thing eh?

Side note:
I know the garment factory used by Wong, the G__, Lxk, Hxng, S_ in TW, and _ N_ in HK (which I dare not name in public).
- Yes, these names I've listed are associated with garments with that Italian flair (whatever it was meant / advertised to be)
- Yes, they all go to this factory (I don't know what % of their makes come from this factory though)
- Yes, it's China-based
- There are at least two grades of garments made by this factory
(EDIT: Anyone who suspects their jackets were made by the said factory should check how / if the non-fused canvasses are shaped. Check the chest too.)

Last edited:

Stanacle

Reaction score
This post is about suit alterations.

There are too many baotou tailors in and out of Mirador to choose from. We pick whoever we prefer. Baotou are technical people, they don't communicate with customers like commercial people. Some people say they got good communication with Ng and some say they don't. Many say they receive good services from Ng. I got good services from both Ng sifu and Wong SY sifu. Both sifu are in my top list. Ng sifu is for British cut, and Wong SY sifu is for Italian cut. Wong SY sifu is good, because he is outsourcing to an expensive Shenzhen workshop doing almost everything for Wong sifu. Ng sifu is managing his own Shenzhen workshop, he is good and he can do almost everything in his Mirador workshop.

The following 2 examples are my suits and I lost 50 pounds, I asked Ng sifu to do alterations. It took some time for lots of work. It's good result, no pain at all. I found perfect fittings!

This Dugdale Bros NFW suit was made by Ng sifu when I was 200 lbs a few years ago. I asked Ng sifu to post it in his IG to record this one, direct from my wardrobe to his workshop without ironing:

View attachment 1912001

View attachment 1912003

Another one, this is my Fresco suit made by Ng sifu when I was 200 lbs a few years ago. I asked Ng sifu to post it in his IG to record this one, direct from my wardrobe to his workshop without ironing:

View attachment 1912007

View attachment 1912009

This is the real me, I am 5 foot 10, I was 200 lbs. I lost 50 lbs by fastering in less than 1 year. The above 2 suits were made by Ng sifu when I was 200 lbs, then I got a new body of 150 lbs. After alterations by Ng sifu, this 2 suits look much better. For this 50 lbs alterations, 1 fitting is needed, and the end result is perfect fitting for my new body! This kind of alternation requires more skill than making a new one, it's like a reconstruction. Ng sifu has to do the cutting again. Some say 50 lbs difference is NOT quite possible to get good result for alteration. This is a test of tailor skill and Ng sifu did the job by himself in his Mirador workshop.

--------------

I called Ng sifu a few days ago about my new suit for this Summer. He said he is loaded with orders, he got many return customers. Yes, I knew that. I always hear positive feedback from Ng sifu return customers about Ng good works.

There are similar cases all the time:

a) Sales people from tailor shops say NO to baotou, but they order CMT with baotou. They know baotou are good, but they don't want consumers to deal with baotou directly.

b) Tailor shops have been asking Mirador baotou to work for them all the time. A while ago, Ng sifu rejected a few tailor shops asking him to work for them. Tailor shops want Ng to work for them, but Ng prefers to deal with direct consumers. That's why tailor shops don't want consumers to deal with Ng sifu directly.

c) #1,801 told the history of Mirador and that explained why some can communicate with baotou and some cannot. In a short form, Baotou in Mirador are aged 70+ 80+ 90+, they are still living in the 1960's 1970's 1980's with old HK culture. Baotou don't change themself for consumers in the modern time, they are well-trained tailors behind tailor shops, and they are uncles from the old HK.

d) When a consumer is expecting Italian cut, and he went to a baotou for British cut. He's not happy with the cutting, and asked for alterations. I think that consumer has been to the wrong place. It's wrong expectation for the cutting. I don't ask any sifu to do alteration for the cutting, because different sifu has different cutting style. This is the problem behind the argument, it's the cutting you are not expecting. I don't think a sifu of British cut will change cutting to Italian cut, or a sifu of Italian cut will change cutting to British cut. Understand your needs and talk to your sifu, British cut and Italian cut have different focus, ie. do your research to pick the right baotou for you. #1,786 tells British cut Vs Italian cut. I am happy with both British cut and Italian cut. I feel better with British cut than Italian cut for my body. I won't ask Wong SY sifu to change his cutting to British cut.

Everyone has different body, we look better with British cut or Italian cut. That's why there is no baotou that will suit best for everyone. Another baotou said he is for HK cut, he said he does not make British cut or Italian cut. He makes suits of fine fitting, nothing too fancy, he called that HK cut. Expecting Italian cut and went to baotou of British cut, it's like you are expecting Italian food and went to a decent Chinese restaurant. Of course, you will find everything wrong. Why ask the Chinese chef to recook? The Chinese chef does not make Italian food. You have been to the wrong place!

No need to discuss a) and b) intentions, they got to do their jobs. Don't bother, tailor shops and baotou are for 2 different types of consumer. Tailor shops provide services, and Baotou don't provide service. For baotou customers, we don't spend extra for services we don't need, this is our choice.
How much is Ng charging for such alteration?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
You managed to cherry pick a tailor shop without mentioning which one and how much you paid for that? You want to be transparent? Then put a name and a price on what you show.

I am extra transparent: the Milanese button hole below is on a jacket from Wong SY sifu. Can you explain why is so different from “Case 3” in #1,805? Same sifu, same craftsmanship and execution.. or not?

View attachment 1876660

This shows that one cannot rely your examples and pictures: let’s say I see case 3 in #1,805 and I am satisfied about the quality. So I go to that sifu and the result is what you see in my picture above. Would you be happy?

I showed your post to Wong SY sifu a few days ago. Hopefully, he can help you for your milanese buttonhole, he looked at the photo you claimed he made the milanese buttonhole (#1,811):

1876671-60f817e0b9516b77d5269f64d97cf9a7.jpg

I am not Wong SY sifu, I cannot answer you on behalf of him. This is what he answered to your question. He said the milanese buttonhole in your photo of #1,811 was not made by him, it's made by another person. He did not make that milanese buttonhole, that means this jacket is not his product.

He showed me a few milanese buttonholes he made, and his IG shows the same milanese buttonholes:
Escorial.3.JPG
FoxBrothers.3.JPG
FoxBrothers.4.JPG
KerryKnoll.1.JPG

He said they are different because the milanese buttonhole from your photo was not made by him. You can take your jacket to Wong SY sifu, and make him bring back his memory.

As you know, baotou are not young, they cannot remember everything in their 50 years worklife. He might be wrong, I don't think he can remember everything for the past 50 years or so. You can ask him if he can fix this milanese buttonhole problem. You need to see him to bring back his memory first.

------------

I showed your post to Ng sifu a few days ago. Hopefully, he can help you for your alterations. I am not Ng sifu, I cannot answer you on behalf of him. This is what he answered to your issue. He NEVER refuses his customers request to make alterations for suits he made within a reasonable period of time, for reasonable requests, and with reasonable condition of fabric, etc. Depending on the condition, if he can fix the problem, he will fix it. If he cannot change the cutting, or he thinks that's not a issue, he won't fix it. Of course, he cannot make alterations for free forever.

There is no baotou that will suit best for everyone. Different baotou has different cutting style. If you don't like the cutting or fitting by a sifu, it means that's not your baotou, you don't want to go back. It's not about if he will make alteration, it's the cutting and fitting for your cup of tea. I also don't like cutting and fitting by many baotou and bespoke tailor shops, I know they can't make things right for my cup of tea. I don't like them, therefore, I don't go back, it's simple. It's not about alteration.

When I choose my baotou, I need to see the cutting and fininshed products by a few baotou before I place an order. I see some are not my cup of tea, I picked the right one. This is very normal.

----------------

How much is Ng charging for such alteration?

very reasonable price!

1) You need to let your sifu see the condition of fabrics. Some fabrics after a period of time is not as good.
2) You can get lower price now than before the Chinese new year. Logistics between HK and Shenzhen is now easier than before the holiday. Ng can send it to his workshop to make alterations, that costs less than he did the job in HK.
3) I have seen another case of alteration for another person by Ng before the holiday, I thought it's a new one. Ng said because the fabric is good.

Last edited:

Free Style

Reaction score
I showed your post to Wong SY sifu a few days ago. Hopefully, he can help you for your milanese buttonhole, he looked at the photo you claimed he made the milanese buttonhole (#1,811):

1876671-60f817e0b9516b77d5269f64d97cf9a7.jpg

I am not Wong SY sifu, I cannot answer you on behalf of him. This is what he answered to your question. He said the milanese buttonhole in your photo of #1,811 was not made by him, it's made by another person. He did not make that milanese buttonhole, that means this jacket is not his product.

He showed me a few milanese buttonholes he made, and his IG shows the same milanese buttonholes:
View attachment 1916099 View attachment 1916101 View attachment 1916103 View attachment 1916105

He said they are different because the milanese buttonhole from your photo was not made by him. You can take your jacket to Wong SY sifu, and make him bring back his memory.

As you know, baotou are not young, they cannot remember everything in their 50 years worklife. He might be wrong, I don't think he can remember everything for the past 50 years or so. You can ask him if he can fix this milanese buttonhole problem. You need to see him to bring back his memory first.

------------

I showed your post to Ng sifu a few days ago. Hopefully, he can help you for your alterations. I am not Ng sifu, I cannot answer you on behalf of him. This is what he answered to your issue. He NEVER refuses his customers request to make alterations for suits he made within a reasonable period of time, for reasonable requests, and with reasonable condition of fabric, etc. Depending on the condition, if he can fix the problem, he will fix it. If he cannot change the cutting, or he thinks that's not a issue, he won't fix it. Of course, he cannot make alterations for free forever.

There is no baotou that will suit best for everyone. Different baotou has different cutting style. If you don't like the cutting or fitting by a sifu, it means that's not your baotou, you don't want to go back. It's not about if he will make alteration, it's the cutting and fitting for your cup of tea. I also don't like cutting and fitting by many baotou and bespoke tailor shops, I know they can't make things right for my cup of tea. I don't like them, therefore, I don't go back, it's simple. It's not about alteration.

When I choose my baotou, I need to see the cutting and fininshed products by a few baotou before I place an order. I see some are not my cup of tea, I picked the right one. This is very normal.

----------------

very reasonable price!

1) You need to let your sifu see the condition of fabrics. Some fabrics after a period of time is not as good.
2) You can get lower price now than before the Chinese new year. Logistics between HK and Shenzhen is now easier than before the holiday. Ng can send it to his workshop to make alterations, that costs less than he did the job in HK.
3) I have seen another case of alteration for another person by Ng before the holiday, I thought it's a new one. Ng said because the fabric is good.

I have been a bit silent given work and family time meant no time for Mirador lately. I managed to visit Wong SY today, and he didn’t say the jacket it’s not his product. What he said is the person who made the buttonholes for the jackets he showed you, is the same one that made mine BUT due to the fabric of my jackets being lighter, the result is different, and cannot really be amended.

Anyway, I won’t commit any more of my time on this jacket - it is what it is and will move on.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
I have been a bit silent given work and family time meant no time for Mirador lately. I managed to visit Wong SY today, and he didn’t say the jacket it’s not his product. What he said is the person who made the buttonholes for the jackets he showed you, is the same one that made mine BUT due to the fabric of my jackets being lighter, the result is different, and cannot really be amended.

Anyway, I won’t commit any more of my time on this jacket - it is what it is and will move on.
If you are good at sewing and don't mind fixing it yourself, there're plenty of vids online that'd teach you how to make one.

I suspect anything handmade would either become much costlier soon or not be available straight up with the pandemic and craftsmen shifting careers (who's in urgent need of a suit while in quarantine anyway?)

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score

There is only one Wong SY sifu (tailor) in Mirador. I just showed your post and your buttonhole photo of #1,811 to this Wong SY sifu. He told me a few customers visited him today (March 22, 2023. HK time), and none talked about anything regarding buttonhole of that jacket. He said he does not recognize which customer you talked about, and has never seen that buttonhole. There is a possibility, he said today he got one customer who speaks English only, someone made the translation for him. He talked about another buttonhole of another jacket. That might make things confused. Baotou are uncles from another part of the world, there might be some commmunication problem. Anyway, no bother for that.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads