• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Devil's Lair - The ONI Denim Thread

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
By the way, I got my Oni pieces (and some other nice stuff) from Redcast Heritage. Their service is the among the best out there, so I wanted to mention them.

Yeah, I really like Redcast. I think they are a smaller shop and I feel like they just really care. I have gotten many handwritten thank you notes which is just such a nice touch that you really don’t see anymore.

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Nice collection. I have the Type III in Moca and also love it. Great fit as you say and it is my favourite Type III (marginally ahead of IH-9526PJ as that one runs very small and the denim has absolutely no give whatsoever).

Oh that Moca is just so nice. I was super tempted by the jacket but just stuck with the trousers due to my appreciation but not wearing of jackets yet.

-Mike

Kohntarkosz

Reaction score
Welcome over Kohn! Yeah, ultimately, fit is king and the most driving factor determining what you wear (or don’t). Glad that you found the Anniversary Jacket. Their jackets are quite amazing.

I have a few myself, but just haven’t gotten into Denim jackets yet. I candidly haven’t figured out what to wear them with. I feel Denim on Denim is cool, but too much for me. I guess I need to wear them the next time I wear Khakis. I have their standard Secret Denim Type III and their Indigo X Indigo Secret Type II.

Cheers,
Mike

I wear my denim jackets with chinos or baker pants. I don't care for the "Canadian tuxedo" look either, at least for myself.

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score
Welcome over Kohn! Yeah, ultimately, fit is king and the most driving factor determining what you wear (or don’t). Glad that you found the Anniversary Jacket. Their jackets are quite amazing.

I have a few myself, but just haven’t gotten into Denim jackets yet. I candidly haven’t figured out what to wear them with. I feel Denim on Denim is cool, but too much for me. I guess I need to wear them the next time I wear Khakis. I have their standard Secret Denim Type III and their Indigo X Indigo Secret Type II.

Cheers,
Mike
I wear my denim jackets with chinos or baker pants. I don't care for the "Canadian tuxedo" look either, at least for myself.
Same here. I like to wear denim jackets with non denim trousers (chinos and flat fronted tailored trousers mostly). I have found that different coloured denim can be worn together without the "Canadian Tuxedo" effect. An example below is an IH-9526PJ with ONI 246 22oz Kabuki Selvedge.
denimOnDenim.jpg

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score
By the way, I got my Oni pieces (and some other nice stuff) from Redcast Heritage. Their service is the among the best out there, so I wanted to mention them.
Yeah, I really like Redcast. I think they are a smaller shop and I feel like they just really care. I have gotten many handwritten thank you notes which is just such a nice touch that you really don’t see anymore.

-Mike
Yep, Redcast are a great retailer. Great service and collection.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Same here. I like to wear denim jackets with non denim trousers (chinos and flat fronted tailored trousers mostly). I have found that different coloured denim can be worn together without the "Canadian Tuxedo" effect. An example below is an IH-9526PJ with ONI 246 22oz Kabuki Selvedge.
View attachment 1880075

Yeah, that is a great combo and look. You are pulling it off nicely!

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score
That is a rad looking jacket. I have long really liked the way that Tanuki takes the Secret Denim and makes the jacket. Killing it in that!

It really is gorgeous in the sun.

-Mike
Can only agree in the strongest terms. Wish I had gone in on this one.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Full suit. Tanuki Yorai 25 oz. on the bottom. Was scared about the short inseam when I bought these. But one of my favorite pants now. View attachment 1881563

Looking great in your ONI x Tanuki jacket and Tanuki jeans. Great color combination! I actually really like the fact that ONI uses a shorter inseam because then the taper / cuff size is closer to how they intended it. I find that the 38" inseams are way off from what I really want on a practical side.

-Mike

willy156

Reaction score
ONI jeans are great, I have a pair of 902 zr IDBK secret denim, and they might be my favourite pair of Japanese denim, I'm thinking of getting another pair of indigo secret denim. Read that the owner of oni is supposedly retiring soon with no plans of replacing them, so wonder how the brand will go. This is just a rumor and with how secret this company is I can't really find any information, do they even have an official website?

BTW do you guys size down when buying secret denim? I sized down 1 for the 902zr fit and I made sure the thigh measurement still worked for me. I've been wearing it for about a month now and without a belt, the waist has stretched out an inch, and the jeans loosened up in the thigh region.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
ONI jeans are great, I have a pair of 902 zr IDBK secret denim, and they might be my favourite pair of Japanese denim, I'm thinking of getting another pair of indigo secret denim. Read that the owner of oni is supposedly retiring soon with no plans of replacing them, so wonder how the brand will go. This is just a rumor and with how secret this company is I can't really find any information, do they even have an official website?

BTW do you guys size down when buying secret denim? I sized down 1 for the 902zr fit and I made sure the thigh measurement still worked for me. I've been wearing it for about a month now and without a belt, the waist has stretched out an inch, and the jeans loosened up in the thigh region.

Hey Willy, welcome over here! The 902ZR-IDBK is a great model! Yeah, the SECRET Denims (ZRs) tend to stretch a bit so I try and wear the tightest pair that I possibly can fit in. Your experience is about on par with the course with them.

Yeah, I have heard similar rumors about ONI Denim’s future. It is really hard to say as very little is known about the company, its business plans, and the owner. Hopefully they will be around for a while!

-Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads