• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John_Edward
Are we really that oddly shaped that only Express will cater to us? I've got the same problem in that the best fitting OTR shirt I've found is Express. The waist needs to come in an inch or two, but beyond that, neck, chest, arms, cuffs, it's all bang on!
+1 I don't think we're oddly shaped, rather most mainstream brands aren't smart enough to take Express' lead.

david123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor
Can someone please give us new members a brief summary of the hundreds of pages in this thread. Or am I expected to read them all?

Just want the basics, as in "this brand is the best under $xxx. If you want to spend a little more, you can consider this and that brand. This brand can't be altered by a tailor."

Hope you guys understand my situation. I charge by the hour.

Then I have to read the hundreds of threads with thousands of posts regarding (1) suits, (2) shoes, (3) jeans, (4) ties just to name a few.

Respectfully,

Richard Pryor

Use ModernTailor. It might take 2-3 attempts to get it perfect but the fit will be better than anything OTR and the quality of cloth will be better too so the shirts will last longer. More advice: start with their cheap trial offer, look at the weekly sales, and stick to one shirt at a time until you have it perfect.

crazyfordetails

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDandy
I feel I should give you a high five just because you understand and enjoy going to your tailor, I am addicted to mine, to the point that it is all you can find in my wardrobe... My wife and i went shopping in the BVI last winter, saw this beautiful Turquoise Lacoste short sleeve shirt, I never could wear it... the seams are just not at the right place.

I am a bit sick of this online MTM trend... Believe me I could buy a lot of stuff online. It come in a box anyway... but fresh food, medicaments and my tailor would never be an online mistress
smile.gif

Everything you are saying is true, there is no feeling quite like it. To have your clothes perfectly fit your body is really quite amazing and as you said I can never go back to ready made, it is simply not even close to the fit that I get from my tailor. However it does require some work.

1. Find the best shirtmaker, try a few, see wich is the best but also wich one will not mind working on the pattern ,making changes until the shirt is perfect.. This is the most important step. D'on't look at the price at first because once you have a shirt that fits how you like THEN you can take it to a cheaper shirtmaker to copy it exactly. The hard part is the pattern.

2.Help your shirtmaker by knowing what you want, bring in your favorite shirts and ones that you hate ,he will be able to see the differences that you can't and go in the right direction.

3. Be patient,it will take several shirts to get to the perfect fit. Wear your shirts and see what is not quite right, You have a big part to play ,the shirtmaker cannot guess your taste.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do the UK members have any recommendations for shops in the UK to look for that have nice slim shirts? I only moved here from the US about 3 months ago, so i dont really know much about the shops here. I've bought all my dress shirts from Next so far, and while the 15.5" 'slim fit' fits me really well, the fabric is pretty cheap and not soft at all.

I went in to debenhams the other day, and the fabric was really nice and soft feeling on all their shirts, but they all fit horribly baggy on me.

my chest is 39" and my waist is 32", anyone have similar specs?

jamays00

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000
+1

I don't think we're oddly shaped, rather most mainstream brands aren't smart enough to take Express' lead.

express would be a decent option if it wasn't for the horrible material that their shirts are made out of (i'm assuming your talking about the 1mx fitted shirts).

for half the price of express i'd go for the H&M easy iron shirts. best thing i've found for the price! i think they are normally either 19.99 or 24.99 but the whole selection was 14.99 the last time i was in an h&m.

medium fits me good, i'm 6' 165lbs. 38R. sleeves are a tad long but after a wash i'm sure they will be fine.

kruze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamays00
express would be a decent option if it wasn't for the horrible material that their shirts are made out of (i'm assuming your talking about the 1mx fitted shirts).

for half the price of express i'd go for the H&M easy iron shirts. best thing i've found for the price! i think they are normally either 19.99 or 24.99 but the whole selection was 14.99 the last time i was in an h&m.

medium fits me good, i'm 6' 165lbs. 38R. sleeves are a tad long but after a wash i'm sure they will be fine.

Id have to agree. The quality of the xpres shirts are terrible. Sometimes I need just something cheap for work and xpres definitely isn't one of them. Overpriced without a coupon and terrible material that wrinkles and looks like crap after a few washes.

I give huge plus for cheap HM shirts and Rugby. Both fit spot on.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i recently bought some slim fit dress shirts from brooks brothers (not very slim fit which they do offer) and for my build, broad not super slim, the fit was almost perfect (found the quality above average it was their middle of the road shirt not golden fleece)i just ordered one rtw from ascot chang when it arrives ill let you know
ps this is my first post on sf im rather excited about it

Threadsbare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by david123
Good question. I've been paying about $42 per shirt with ModernTailor. That's with shipping and thin MOP buttons ($45 with thick) and their SF coupon, buying only the weekly sale fabrics.

I'm curious what other people are paying for MTM with the other services. That is, including shipping and whatever basic extra features are essential and whatever coupons are out there and choosing the less expensive fabrics, what do you actually pay per shirt? I imagine ModernTailor is hard to beat but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm paying $90AUD for MTM from savvy clothing. I ordered one initially and it fit pretty well but tweeked it slightly, then ordered 3 more. The first one I bought i've had for about 6 months & still looks great. Their fabrics are 100% Sea Island cotton & wrinkle free. theres heaps of styling option collars & cuffs etc, including cuff monograms & pearl buttons. I think the monogram adds a stylish touch. btw that price includes delivery to your door. http://savvyclothing.com.au

Reaction score
This is just a funny observation, not meant as an attack at all, but having not visited this thread before, I found it amusing that the last post in it was pretty much identical to post #5. Things never change, I guess?
Originally Posted by j
The other problem with that is that most of us slim people don't have super slim shoulders, so a smaller size shirt will just not fit in the shoulders.

Richdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
do the UK members have any recommendations for shops in the UK to look for that have nice slim shirts? I only moved here from the US about 3 months ago, so i dont really know much about the shops here. I've bought all my dress shirts from Next so far, and while the 15.5" 'slim fit' fits me really well, the fabric is pretty cheap and not soft at all. I went in to debenhams the other day, and the fabric was really nice and soft feeling on all their shirts, but they all fit horribly baggy on me. my chest is 39" and my waist is 32", anyone have similar specs?
If you want awesome business shirts from Debenhams that fit very well (tucked in) for slim people then St. George by Duffer and Jevff Banks / Jeff Banks Studio are the way to go. Very high quality yarn, and in the sale they are stupidly cheap (£10-£20)... you almost feel like you're ripping them off! NEXT also do very good shirts for business but they are pricier (due to Debenhams having regular sales). They do last ages, however. For slim fit shirts that you want to wear out and not tucked in for casual use, then NEXT slim-sit shirts are the best I have found withouit spending a lot of money... they are the right size on the shoulders, and length on the waist, and look very trim sillouhette-wise. http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/men/shirts/14/

Dmbig

Reaction score
I've recently picked up Nordstrom brand 'trim fit' shirts from The Rack at $20/shirt. You can't find a better fitting shirt for this price. The waste suppression on the shirts is very good...they fit me like a glove. I'm 5' 10" and 160 lbs and wear the 15 32/33.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads