1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Senior member

I have found that the Naked and Famous Denim slimshirts provide a very nice fit. I bought the size small. They taper nicely through the waist and have a slim arm. The cotton ranges from 8oz - 10oz.

For your reference my measurements are listed below:

Height - 5'8
    Chest - 33.5''
    Waist - 29.25
    Neck - 14
    Shoulder to Shoulder - 18''

2. kgecklund

kgecklund New Member

I'm currently looking into buying a SuitSupply suit and while browsing their website noticed they sell dress shirts as well. The company is known for their very slim fitting suits and are based out of Europe so I'm assuming their dress shirts would be very trim fitting as well. Has anyone tried their shirts yet? I'd love to know how they fit before ordering one offline.

3. Diversification

Diversification Well-Known Member

I assume you're saying that the tailor took in the chest/body at the sides and also narrowed the arms proportionally to avoid having a slim body with overly thick arms. Is that accurate? That certainly sounds like an expensive operation (perhaps prohibitively so).

I have a couple 16.5 / 36 Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored Fit shirts and I have the same issue: still too baggy through the chest and definitely too baggy through the waist. The arms could be a bit slimmer and the wrists could be looser (they're really quite tight, and I have thin wrists). I also have a few 16.5 / 36 TM Lewin Fully Fitted shirts. They seem to be slimmer through the chest, waist and arms, but the wrists could be a bit more narrow (weird, right?) The TM Lewin Fully Fitted shirts don't have any darts. The fabric is relatively similar (I may actually favor the Lewins slightly). Other than that, there aren't a whole lot of differences that stand out to me. [lazy]If you're curious about my measurements, take a quick look at my profile.[/lazy]

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Yes, that is correct. It was $22 per shirt. However, I gave him about 10 shirts to do, and they were all the same size/make of shirt, so maybe that simplified things a little for him.

5. Rkcarpio

Rkcarpio Member

I've heard good things about Arden Reed's button downs. it takes a bit longer to receive your shirt but is bespoke nonetheless. I haven't tried them yet, as I am able to buy off the rack but have many friends who need to go the mtm route because of having larger frames, or severe drops. At the price point, it seems cheaper ($97-117) than an off the rack Boss or similar and will fit like a glove out of the box. Anyone have any experience with them or similar mtm e-tailers?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  6. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

H&M changed their easy iron shirts, the ones that always sell for $14.xx.

They are just as slim, The neck is wider, and they are noticeably longer. That was the worst part about them before, they were so short they would pull up at the sides easily once tucked in.

7. Diversification

Interesting. Did they make the sleeves longer too?

8. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

I am 5' 11" with a 37" chest, 32" natural waist and 33" trouser-sitting waistline. I find the Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored Fit, to be the best thing I have come across yet, but, like others have said, they could be a tad slimmer, even! Also, with CT shirts, the collars always bend; it's really annoying! I would try TM Lewin, but they do not do a 15" neck with a 35" sleeve--fucking annoying!!

9. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Is there a consensus whether or not slim guys should wear waisted or straight cut shirts?
    In the past I have had my MTM shirts made waisted but I am not sure anymore if that cut does me a favour because I feel it emphasises my hips.

10. Diversification

It might be worthwhile to send TM Lewin an email. There's a chance that they'll do the smaller collar for you.

1 person likes this.
  11. suited

suited Senior member

I now work in a more formal atmosphere than my previous job, so the top button on my shirts is always buttoned, and that has created issues with many of my slim fit shirts. The only shirts that still fit around the neck are the BOSS black, and my MTM shirts (most of which were made when I was 15lbs larger than I am now). The Brooks Brothers slim fit can no longer be buttoned around the neck, unless I want a throbbing headache for the entire day.

Additionally, my weight fluctuates, depending on my diet and gym routine (bulking, cutting, etc). I've put on about 10lbs, and that has lead me to explore some cheaper, temporary options than can be used as workhorse shirts and thrown in the washing machine. Joseph A Bank just came out with slim fit shirts, and I ordered 5 online for around $46 a piece with free 2-day shipping in size 16.5 / 35. When they arrived, I was a bit surprised to see the thickness of the white shirts. I'm embarrassed to say that the quality is probably better than most of the BOSS black label shirts I own - which may or may not surprise some of you. Anyway, they actually fit me pretty well, minus the neck. I had to return them for a 17" neck. I'm hoping that the larger neck size won't make the rest of the shirt too large (something that has plagued me forever), but I am looking for something with extra room - so a bit of loose fabric might be a good thing.

I will update once I receive the larger shirts.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  12. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

Me too, I find CT tailored fit shirts to be very good and a very easy (and great value) buy.

I am 5'10 with a 38 chest and 33" measured waist. I find the 15.5" neck 33 sleeve ideal for workwear (the neck is more comfortable) - though as you say this could be slimmer. If I could be bothered with the fuss I'd have these work shirts tailored in a little at the waist and sleeve.

For smart shirts I wear without a tie though, the CT 15 neck 33" sleeve are an ideal fit (I just can't comfortably button the top button, so don't wear a tie).

If any of you want a bargain, Living Social has a discount on CT shirts and ties at the moment - you can buy a £60 voucher for £30.

1 person likes this.
  13. Diversification

Interesting comment about the JAB white shirts. I'd be interested in seeing which shirt you're talking about specifically if you could provide the link. I'm always hesitant to order white shirts online because I hate the translucent look that plague so many of them.

14. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

No, they are the same.

15. suited

suited Senior member

The sales seems to have ended. I paid half price for mine, but I'd imagine, in true JAB fashion, they will be on sale again within the next couple of days.

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/SubCategory_11001_10050_9301501

The shirts are new, so they aren't in stores yet (I called 5 stores near me). I'd expect them in stores within 2 weeks, though. I really dislike thin white shirts, so that is not really a concern with these. They aren't as thick as some super-heavy fabrics, but I've seen much thinner. I actually returned a BOSS black label slim fit because it showed my tattoo on my left arm - it was that thin.

1 person likes this.
  16. suited

suited Senior member

I discovered BOSS black sharp fit over the weekend, and was surprised at how well they fit, and the decrease in price from the slim fit is nice, too. They're priced around $95. I was able to find a BOSS black label, slim fit spread collar for $95 as well - which was unusual because the BOSS black slim fits that are below $100 never have the spread collar that I desire, this one did.

I haven't received the 17" neck JAB shirts I mentioned above - but they should be here at the end of this week. I have a feeling I will probably return them. At the end of the day, I have to decide what I'd prefer - a stylish, exceptional fitting dress shirt for $95, or a not-as-good fitting, less stylish dress shirt with a hideous breast pocket from JAB for $46. I hate breast pockets on shirts. While I'm not elated with the quality of BOSS, they seem to do the job, and I've developed a feeling for which material they use that I prefer to stay away from, and which seem to hold up a little better. I've explored a lot of options, and if there was a readily available, better quality shirt at this price that fit me as well and achieved the styling I desire, I'd already be buying it.

I have a feeling that the JAB shirts are going to arrive and be much too big - as the 16.5" neck was pushing it already in terms of extra fabric where there shouldn't be extra fabric (not sure how JAB are calling these "slim" fit). I also have to consider the fact that, while okay for work, the JAB shirt would be completely useless to me outside of a work setting, where the BOSS shirt is much more versatile, albeit twice the price. To summarize, in the most literal sense, the only thing the JAB shirt has going for it is the price.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  17. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I think that's a pretty good price.

18. dagman1

dagman1 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to update my earlier comments because I don't think they are quite accurate.

I have bought some more BB ESL shirts since my post. I find that BB ESL are actually bigger in the chest than the Boss Black Slim Fit shirts. Maybe the sizing has changed on BB since--I'm not really sure. I've been hitting the gym and now I'm at about a 41" chest with a 9" drop. Boss Slim Fit is really tight at this point in the chest to the point that I wouldn't buy anymore going forward in case I get any bigger. My recommendation if you have an athletic build is to go with the BB ESL. The collars are better on BB as well.

Also still stay away from J.Crew. Still fit like tents. Still have shitty collars.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  19. suited

suited Senior member

Today at lunch I tried on some BB slim fit in their luxury line in a 16.5 neck/35 sleeve. The material is nice, and there is no pocket which is a plus. They were a bit too large around the waist, but that can be tailored on the cheap. I was able to order some that were on sale, and picked up 3 of the luxury line shirts for $203 - and none of them were non-iron. Being that they needed tailored, I stayed away from the non-iron. Needless to say, I returned the 3 BOSS shirts I bought the day before. I have tried the BB extra slim before, and while I like the high armholes, they just don't fit me - right now I'm somewhere around a 44" chest with an 11" drop - I couldn't even button some of the sizes.

Yes, BOSS fits me the best off the rack and they make great patterns. However, the construction is not that great, and some of the shirts are paper thin (although some are better than others). I don't regret buying their shirts in the past (yet), but I'm going to avoid purchasing them in the future.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  20. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Is there some issue tailoring non-iron shirts? I have had many Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron shirts tailored with no issues that I know of.