• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I pay anywhere from $90 to $145 for bespoke shirts at my local tailor. I can touch and feelk the fabric and if he doesn't get it right he alters it free. I don't like the hassle of sending measurements online. If the measurements are not spot-on you will have to pay for alterations locally. The price approaches what I pay, minus the headache.

I would do that too, but I don't know any shirt makers in L.A. that charge less than $200. And I'd rather get 5 shirts from MT.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
Club Monaco is the slimest of them all while the others still do a serviceable job.
Their new slim fit in an XS fits surprisingly slim. Like it's the best OTR shirt I've found in a long time. And they go on sale, always (the full retail is not a great price). then again I don't wash mine too often. I'm sure there's better quality out there but the cut is good. Even as a basis for measurements for a MTM.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do agree with many that the quality of CM shirts varies, but they are easily identifiable in the store.

Also agree that don't ever pay full price for them.

BossTweed

Reaction score
Disagree that Club Monaco shirts are any slimmer than BB extra slim fit. However, both are among the slimmest available at that price.

Ideefixee

Reaction score
Yes, the BB ESF are slim in the torso and the sleeves, but are just damn long! Even after a few washes.

BR shirts usually fit me pretty slim everywhere but the sleeves-- those tend to be a tad on the puffy side.

I just have a family friend of mine (tailor) make me shirts. He is very very precise and charges about 85 per shirt. He gets the materials from Italy and France and other such places. He just recently got into making slim wool shirts, which is stellar.

So, I'd suggest bespoke or MTM, if the tailor or service is precise. It's not THAT much more expensive than getting shirts OTR.

AlbertCamus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I pay anywhere from $90 to $145 for bespoke shirts at my local tailor. I can touch and feelk the fabric and if he doesn't get it right he alters it free. I don't like the hassle of sending measurements online. If the measurements are not spot-on you will have to pay for alterations locally. The price approaches what I pay, minus the headache.

The hassle of sending measurements on line? I could literally place an order on MT within 45 seconds. Granted you have to wait for shipping, but patience and foresight are virtues, and I'd rather wait a week then have to drive somewhere to pick it up.

There is an initial investment in online MTM, I had one shirt that was thrown away and two more that are wearable but less than perfect; plus it was about 2 months from first deciding to order MTM until I had a shirt I was very happy with. However, that cost under $100. Now I can get a perfect shirt for about $50 shipped. So far the fabrics have turned out to be much nicer than mall brands, and I'm buying the cheaper ones.

I wish I hadn't wasted money on BB, express, H&M, hugo boss, etc. Make the (small) investment of time and money and go MTM, you won't have to mess around with trying on shirts at different stores, going to tailors, or spending alot more than you really want to.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlbertCamus
The hassle of sending measurements on line? I could literally place an order on MT within 45 seconds. Granted you have to wait for shipping, but patience and foresight are virtues, and I'd rather wait a week then have to drive somewhere to pick it up.
My problem is I can't seem to get my measurements right enough to order online. Also I like to touch and feel the fabric. To each his own. However, either way, MTM is the way to go. Even lower-end MTM fabrics are better than most high-end OTR.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlbertCamus

There is an initial investment in online MTM, I had one shirt that was thrown away and two more that are wearable but less than perfect; plus it was about 2 months from first deciding to order MTM until I had a shirt I was very happy with. However, that cost under $100. Now I can get a perfect shirt for about $50 shipped. So far the fabrics have turned out to be much nicer than mall brands, and I'm buying the cheaper ones.

I wish I hadn't wasted money on BB, express, H&M, hugo boss, etc. Make the (small) investment of time and money and go MTM, you won't have to mess around with trying on shirts at different stores, going to tailors, or spending alot more than you really want to.

+0.8

I kind of agree, except that going to your tailor to get a shirt made is not a hassle. It's more expensive, but definitely more fun... You get to talk about fit, materials, construction, style and all the interesting stuff. The process of going to my tailor is definitely exciting for me.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SD1
I bought a pair of Zara slim fit shirts on sale for $12.99 (down from $40). They fit amazing. Maybe the best slim fit shirts I've found yet. Certainly for the money.

I've never seen them that cheap, but they're never really expensive, and I agree that Zara makes a very well-fitting slim fit shirt -- I'm wearing one right now, in fact. A small usually fits quite well, with no ballooning around the mid-section.

TheDandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
+0.8

I kind of agree, except that going to your tailor to get a shirt made is not a hassle. It's more expensive, but definitely more fun... You get to talk about fit, materials, construction, style and all the interesting stuff. The process of going to my tailor is definitely exciting for me.

I feel I should give you a high five just because you understand and enjoy going to your tailor, I am addicted to mine, to the point that it is all you can find in my wardrobe... My wife and i went shopping in the BVI last winter, saw this beautiful Turquoise Lacoste short sleeve shirt, I never could wear it... the seams are just not at the right place.

I am a bit sick of this online MTM trend... Believe me I could buy a lot of stuff online. It come in a box anyway... but fresh food, medicaments and my tailor would never be an online mistress
smile.gif

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDandy
I feel I should give you a high five just because you understand and enjoy going to your tailor, I am addicted to mine, to the point that it is all you can find in my wardrobe... My wife and i went shopping in the BVI last winter, saw this beautiful Turquoise Lacoste short sleeve shirt, I never could wear it... the seams are just not at the right place.

I am a bit sick of this online MTM trend... Believe me I could buy a lot of stuff online. It come in a box anyway... but fresh food, medicaments and my tailor would never be an online mistress
smile.gif

Don't most people go with online MTM because it's generally a fair bit cheaper than going to your local tailor? I mean, I don't think anyone would really disparage the full bespoke experience, or say that MTM is preferable, ceteris paribus. But the point is that all else is not equal, because the price is generally substantially lower.

I'm planning on ordering a TaT suit soon, and I don't know where I could get a bespoke suit for anywhere near that price. Sure, we'd all prefer the full treatment, but the whole "paying rent" thing can sort of conflict with that.

TheDandy

Reaction score
but the whole "paying rent" thing can sort of conflict with that.
NameBack is online now Report Post \tsendpm.gif

Good point...

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a sad fact, TheDandy -- it's never fun when reality conflicts with style. :p

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Their new slim fit in an XS fits surprisingly slim. Like it's the best OTR shirt I've found in a long time. And they go on sale, always (the full retail is not a great price).
then again I don't wash mine too often. I'm sure there's better quality out there but the cut is good. Even as a basis for measurements for a MTM.

Whats the regular price and sale price? I Know club monaco items are over priced.

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Can someone please give us new members a brief summary of the hundreds of pages in this thread. Or am I expected to read them all?

Just want the basics, as in "this brand is the best under $xxx. If you want to spend a little more, you can consider this and that brand. This brand can't be altered by a tailor."

Hope you guys understand my situation. I charge by the hour.

Then I have to read the hundreds of threads with thousands of posts regarding (1) suits, (2) shoes, (3) jeans, (4) ties just to name a few.

Respectfully,

Richard Pryor

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads