1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Well-Known Member

Bought a slim-fit shirt from Marks & Spencer the other week, and I have found it, to be the slimmest fitting shirt I have found! The only problem with it is, that the arm opening is way too low (a common problem with M&S)!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. steezy

steezy Well-Known Member

I find the BB ESF shirts to be perfect in the shoulder and chest area,but too baggy near the waist. For anyone else with a large drop, have you found an alternative shirt or is my best bet to go to a tailor?

I've been following this thread on and off, but there hasn't been any clear recommendations.

3. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Part of the problem is that sometimes Charles Tyrwhitt tailored/extra-slim is slimmer than Brooks Brothers, but sometimes it is the other way around. In the larger neck sizes, CT seems to be slimmer, but on the smaller neck sizes (below 16) BB seems to be slimmer. This is according to each company's sizing guide.

For those with a very athletic build (i.e. larger chest), TM Lewin might be a good option. Their chest measurements are significantly larger than either CT or BB, while still having a small waist. I have a size 16 TM Lewin shirt on the way, so I can report back once I compare to my CT and BB shirts.

4. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Well-Known Member

Have you guys ordered the formal shirts from CT lately?

They have dropped the Tailored fit for an "extra slim fit", which is entirely different - even the collar seems different. This is a huge pity as the CT formal shirts fit me pretty much perfectly :)

5. sjoseph

sjoseph Member

Just two days ago I tried on both slim fit, and extra slim fit Brooks Brothers shirts. The slim fits were predictably oversized and not slim by any measure, especially in the arms and the torso. The extra slim fit was too tight. The arm circumfrance was just big enough to be acceptable, and the torso was fine, but the shoulders and chest were far too small. I'm 6'4", 220#, 17/36.

Like someone else said, the jump between Brooks Brothers slim and extra slim fit is gigantic.

Also, when you guys post your shirt size, it would be helpful to know your height and weight as well.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  6. msulinski

I finally tried out my TM Lewin slim fit shirt. Based on the chest measurements, I thought it would be way too big in the chest, but it seems OK. I'm not sure if they are taking the measurement from the same place everyone else is. However, the shoulders appeared a little to wide - which is strange for me, as I am a standard size 42, and most 16" shirts fit just right in the shoulders. CT tailored fit 16.5" also fit me fine in the shoulders.

7. msulinski

According to the salespeople I have spoken to, Extra Slim Fit is just a rename of Tailored fit. Both have previously been offered in a variety of collar styles. I know I have a few semi-spread tailored fit as well as, I believe, a cutaway. I admit though that I do not own any of the shirts with the Extra Slim Fit label. According to their sizing guide (http://www.ctshirts.com/Formal-shirts-sizing-guide?cnt=sizing-guides) the measurements are the same. Do you have a different experience?

8. sjoseph

sjoseph Member

dub

9. sjoseph

sjoseph Member

Can someone compare CT SF and ESF to BB SF and ESF?

10. quuz

quuz Well-Known Member

The ralph lauren european slim fit are overall slimmer, but especially in the arms.

11. MCanavan6

MCanavan6 Well-Known Member

12. matt1

matt1 Well-Known Member

13. eexxiitt

eexxiitt New Member

I've been looking for OTR slim/superslim fitting dress/casual shirts that require minimal tailoring and the best fitting OTR shirts that I've found are from Zara. However, they cost $59.99 here in Canada and at that price they're simply not worth it for the quality that you get.
    My measurements are 14.5in neck, 35inch chest, 28inch waist, and i stand about 5'8... At this point I feel like I don't have much of a choice... does anyone have any other suggestions off the top of their head or am I destined to go the MTM route?

14. MCanavan6

MCanavan6 Well-Known Member

Try H&M, probably a size Small. I am 5'10" with a 38" chest and 30" waist and the M is practically perfect. Problem is the quality is not that great but they make good beater shirts for a bar/club, only cost $15 if I remember correctly.

15. Nibiru

Nibiru Member

What are the best OTR fitting oxford cloth button downs? 5' 11" 185 consider myself built since I play football and wrestle
    Not trying to spend much since I'm 17
    Been thinking Uniqlo and getting them tailored if I need to

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  16. Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

The uniqlo's fit me funny. A lot of extra cloth in the back, looks weird to be honest. Getting mine tailored to fit better, if I can find a rather cheap one. If not I'll just keep using them under sweaters. I'm 6' 3" 207 - so rather built myself.

17. Nibiru

Nibiru Member

Damn, I'm looking for no bunching in the back
    Guess I'll just get some on sale like at jcrew or something and get them tailored
    I wear mine under sweaters too but it's not really cold here

18. WakeJake

WakeJake Member

What about a a poor man's slim shirt with french cuffs? I am just starting out on a teacher's salary and money is short.

19. stylexchangemtl

stylexchangemtl Well-Known Member

The site does look like a random blog but the info actually helped me out, thx!

20. Hiras Fashion

Hiras Fashion Well-Known Member

OTR shirts are always welcome in my closet, there is the convenience factor of getting them at your nearest retail store. But slim fitting shirts can be tricky to find and most that I have tried on are labeled "slim fit" but somehow the shoulders don't fit well or the sleeves are too long.