• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seph
I'm guessing these just don't make any sense at all...

Can't figure out what "Across Chest" is...

56 cm "Half chest" would be 22" wide
48 cm "Half waist would be 18" wide...
4 inch taper between the chest and waist is really dramatic.

And then, 17.8 cm shoulders would be 7" across, which is (of course) totally ridiculous...

I'm guessing the shoulder is each shoulder until the sleeve starts.

For a slim shirt is a 4" difference between chest and waist really dramatic?

mattjones

Reaction score
I really struggled to find slim fit shirts because I have slim shoulders and as I wanted a few shirts I didn't want to pay ridiculous prices and I have found topman is the best high street store for slim fit shirts. Their sizes go down to XXS whereas the standard sizes of shirts going down to 14" neck are just too big. Topman all the way!

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
I'm guessing the shoulder is each shoulder until the sleeve starts.

For a slim shirt is a 4" difference between chest and waist really dramatic?

Your shoulder comment is a good thought, but I've never seen an off the rack shirt with 15 inch neck and 14" yoke either... Even 16" shoulders would be pretty out of the ordinary...

And - yes - generally speaking, in off the rack slim fit dress shirts, the taper between chest and midsection (when measuring the shirt laid flat) will be around 2" tops. You can specify a 3.75" taper with Proper Cloth - but that is as far as we go too. Usually a slim fit shirt is slim in the chest as well though - so a really dramatic taper is not necessary.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I measured one of my off the rack shirts. It's an Italian 39 [15.75"] It's not much more then 7" from the inside of the collar to the start of the shoulder seam. If I measure just the seam at the top of the shoulder [No idea what it's called] it's less.

CanadaSteep

Reaction score
Glad to see Ben Sherman confirmed as a very slim fit shirt.
The slimmest (straighest)fitting shirt I own, almost t-shirt like, is from Ben Sherman,
and it is from the "vintage" collection. The fit is perfect, works w/jeans or adda cordurouy blazer for lunch.

PS - selling some stuff soon!

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I am thinking I will pick up 4-5 more TM Lewin shirts.. I love the 5 I already have, they already get a lot of time in my rotation.

What are the coupons that still work?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn I just ordered 5 more shirts.. Ok I'm done there for a while..

Next come the shoes.. before the spring hits.

samba

Reaction score
Has anyone compared the TM Lewin slim fit windsor shirts to Calvin Klein's slim fit non iron shirts (something similar to, but not exaclty like this: http://www.calvinklein.com/product/i...uctId=3303410), in terms of fit? I just bought 2 of the CKs from the prim outlets and like them a lot. The CK's have a silver tag on them and were like $30 each at the outlet. Since they are non-iron, look "fresh" at the end of the work day. These are the first non-iron I have owned. Good cheap work shirts IMO. If the TM Lewin fit anything like these, then I'll order some. thanks

ps. I'm 6 ft 1 in tall, 180 lbs, 41in chest, 34 in waist.

Mexicorn

Reaction score
What are some cheap (<$50) shirt-makers in which I can find 15/35 slim fits? I got a BB slim fit on sale from an outlet a while back and it's still my absolute best fitting shirt, but alas I am too broke to afford the 3 for $200 standard pricing they have for those shirts on their site. Damn my lanky frame!

For reference: I'm 6'3", 160lbs and usually only find 15.5 or 16 neck shirts with my sleeve length which look like i'm trying to tuck in a moo moo...

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luvbum
So far, the best fitting shirts I've found, and my guy friends tell me about, are by Arbitrage. My friends like it because it not only do Arbitrage shirts have a perfect fit (especially for slim fits) but they are very stylish and detailed (fabric, stitching etc.). I've bought a few as gifts too and I concur. They are relatively new but spread out across the US in stores like Nordstrom, Fred Segal, etc. And online at www.arbitragestore.com (which is wear I usually purchase from).
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif

Incidentally, wow those are some ugly shirts. Look at this sexy piece: http://www.arbitragetoronto.com/hoodie.JPG
laugh.gif

icedmocha

Reaction score
Have shirts been traditionally slim fit? For example, did a regular shirt in the the thirties fit as a slim fit does now? If so why the change, and if not where did slim fit come from? Also, any opinions on Brooks slim fit?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by icedmocha
Have shirts been traditionally slim fit? For example, did a regular shirt in the the thirties fit as a slim fit does now? If so why the change, and if not where did slim fit come from?

Have you seen the average person today? People have been getting heavier for decades. We've gotten to the point that people have a very distorted sense of how heavy they should be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics