• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
I've spent so much time & money on this topic over the last few months it's ridiculous. What I've come to realize over this time is that if a shirt fits on the shoulders & neck, it can be made to fit anywhere else. And it's really not that difficult to do so.

Pay my tailor $20 to take in the sides and every shirt becomes perfectly fit to my body.

That's exactly what I said in this thread several posts ago!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArliHawk`
I just bought a Nordstrom Organic Cotton tailored fit dress shirt that fits pretty well.

How much was it?

BeyondBespoke

Reaction score
At Beyond Bespoke, we alter off the peg shirts and we make our own "bespoke" shirts in-house. In this day and age of fast food, shirt manufacturers are forced to make their shirts be as "one size fits all" as possible. Charles Tyrwhitt has been known to offer a great fitted option. Bloomingdales has a Hugo Boss "Red" Line which is generally a great slim fit. As custom clothiers ourselves, we of course recommend the custom route. Custom shirts can be purchased at less than $150 each at most reputable custom clothiers and may provide a better fit than off the peg shirts. Every part of the shirt can be customized.

Icarium

Reaction score
I've spent so much time & money on this topic over the last few months it's ridiculous. What I've come to realize over this time is that if a shirt fits on the shoulders & neck, it can be made to fit anywhere else. And it's really not that difficult to do so. Pay my tailor $20 to take in the sides and every shirt becomes perfectly fit to my body.
^ +1 Except my tailor does sides and arms with a flat-felled (double) stitch for 12 dollars. Got to love these Asian family-run tailors. If I lived closer to my mother, I'm not ashamed to say she would be my personal tailor. Then it would be free!
laugh.gif

kiLLscaLLion

Reaction score
I've spent so much time & money on this topic over the last few months it's ridiculous. What I've come to realize over this time is that if a shirt fits on the shoulders & neck, it can be made to fit anywhere else. And it's really not that difficult to do so.

Pay my tailor $20 to take in the sides and every shirt becomes perfectly fit to my body.

+1

The truth.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Yep, that's pretty much my life. I basically buy a shirt that fits my neck and shoulders and then pay $15-25 to get it altered and it fits like a glove.

I think of the total cost I'm willing to pay for a shirt, minus tailoring = price I'll pay for an OTR shirt that'll need to be altered...

Although I have found H&M slim fits to fit really well OTR. the quality of fabric and construction though is crap, but it's a start.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
What are people's experiences with LL Bean slim fit or fitted shirts? I know LL Bean and Lands End have great return policies in case there are any issues, but no experience with how they fit.

Twisty

Reaction score
Question on TM Lewin shirts:

Which is more slim - Windsor or Duke of York? Whats the difference?
Also, I'm a 14.5 in the neck...can I get away with buying 15 after shrinkage? I can't get the 14.5 as the sleeve lengths lower to 33.5...I need 34.5.

Thanks in advance!

PS - I'm surprised on the prices...how much is shipping?

*Edit: Also, I want to measure the exact sleeve length on a shirt I have that fits me perfectly...should I start with the middle of the back of the shirt?

steffenbp11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twisty

Also, I'm a 14.5 in the neck...can I get away with buying 15 after shrinkage? I can't get the 14.5 as the sleeve lengths lower to 33.5...I need 34.5.

Thanks in advance!

*Edit: Also, I want to measure the exact sleeve length on a shirt I have that fits me perfectly...should I start with the middle of the back of the shirt?

I've got both the Windsor and the Duke of York. Only difference is the collar. The collars have actually run a little large on the shirts I've bought. I'm usually a 15 3/4, but have no problems with a 15 ½ even after shrinking.

Shipping depends on where you live. It's 8 £ in Europe I think.

And yes, measure from the middle of the back. I believe there's a guide on the TM Lewin web site.

And before ordering, try googling for "TM Lewin discount vouchers". Usually you can get a few £ off, or get a tie thrown in.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

*Edit: Also, I want to measure the exact sleeve length on a shirt I have that fits me perfectly...
should I start with the middle of the back of the shirt?

Yes I also wear 14.5" collar but theirs are tight when wearing a tie. I find 15" collar is better. Shipping is £8.

Twisty

Reaction score
You guys are awesome. I think I'll order one shirt first to see the fit...couple more questions from the newb:

1. Has anyone tried the John Francomb Rovereto Slim Fit Shirts, or Milan shirts?
2. Is there a database/list of all manufactures size and measurement chart?

If there is no solution for number 2, I think I might try and start one. Its a pain ********** to play guess work on each manufacturer/label.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are awesome.
Tell us something we don't already know...
smile.gif

I think I'll order one shirt first to see the fit...couple more questions from the newb:

1. Has anyone tried the John Francomb Rovereto Slim Fit Shirts, or Milan shirts?
2. Is there a database/list of all manufactures size and measurement chart?

If there is no solution for number 2, I think I might try and start one. Its a pain ********** to play guess work on each manufacturer/label.

I bought this one (15" collar). I love it and get compliments every time I wear it:

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Product.aspx/!27808

I ordered a Rovereto shirt but didn't like the (pointed) collar.

Twisty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Tell us something we don't already know...
smile.gif

I bought this one (15" collar). I love it and get compliments every time I wear it:

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Product.aspx/!27808

I ordered a Rovereto shirt but didn't like the (pointed) collar.

laugh.gif

Do you have one of their Windsor/DofY Slim shirts to compare the Milan shirt? Can you comment if it is a slimmer fit or not? Also the Rovereto shirt you returned as well?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads