• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zeemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i start to study from october on too
i think i will have 270€ after rent, then i have to pay for food, books etc. + money from summer jobs, gifts etc
so there won't be much left for clothes
will only buy very little; most of it COS
fortunately i already have enough clothes that haven't got much wear yet
so i won't be dependent on h&m or zara
i probably won't take a student loan either
taking a loan for financing baller clothes seems somehow unreasonable to me

Last edited:

0JSIMPS0N

Reaction score
had a chance to completely pay off my credit card bill but decided to spend another 1.2k but I dont really regret it

js0930

Reaction score
Two things I'm extremely content with and one I'm expecting to be content with.

Canada Goose Freestyle Down Vest

Probably the most versatile item Canada Goose makes. Bought it for $150 at a clearance sale, it's good to below freezing depending on layering and weather conditions. Built like a tank as well.

Espadrilles

11 Euros in Barca and the best summer shoe I've ever worn.

Woolrich Arctic Parka

For $220, as long as it keeps me warm in Siberia I will be very content.

I also have a blue Burberry blazer that I have been extremely happy with. Dress up or dress down, that **** worked everywhere.

But as much as I lurk on SF, I don't spend much on clothes. And that's because after graduating I moved to Thailand to teach English instead of seeking a higher paying job. And now I'm moving to Russia to do the same thing. While after Russia I'm going to have to figure out a transition plan back to the more normal work force, I don't regret taking less money and seeing the world for a few years. I couldn't be more content with my decision and I recommend thinking about what experiences one could buy with money, instead of the latest grail item must have whatever bullshit that you're going to hate next season (except for TOJ, would kill for bottle green MDR).
The ridiculous dinner I had at Noisette when my whole family was together for the first time in 2 years, way more memorable than any piece of clothing. Or climbing South Sister Mountain (10,400 ft.), even though it completely sucked (40 mile hour winds at the top blowing dust everywhere). I guess what I'm trying to say is look for contentedness in everything. Or maybe just a little balance...

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm still in the "acquiring student debt" phase of my life...i guess i better enjoy it while it lasts? i would so love to get a job right out of undergrad, but i'll probably put off entering the real world to spend an additional 6 years acquiring another silly piece of paper

I realize you're being sardonic, but I don't understand all the people I know who are doing the same. What are you studying?

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will submit my Epaulet flannel. Great fit and material. There's very few plaid patterns I like, and this is one of them. A little bit less ubiquitous color as well. I usually wear tees, and this is nice to throw on as a layer when it's cool. If I had a biz cas job I could easily fill my wardrobe with Epaulet items. (sup SVB)

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I realize you're being sardonic, but I don't understand all the people I know who are doing the same. What are you studying?

my major is biophysics. probably going to go for a phd in biophysics or something similar.

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol 10,000 feet. Only 14ers and up are valid for bragging.
Two things I'm extremely content with and one I'm expecting to be content with.
Canada Goose Freestyle Down Vest

Probably the most versatile item Canada Goose makes. Bought it for $150 at a clearance sale, it's good to below freezing depending on layering and weather conditions. Built like a tank as well.
Espadrilles

11 Euros in Barca and the best summer shoe I've ever worn.
Woolrich Arctic Parka

For $220, as long as it keeps me warm in Siberia I will be very content.
I also have a blue Burberry blazer that I have been extremely happy with. Dress up or dress down, that **** worked everywhere.
But as much as I lurk on SF, I don't spend much on clothes. And that's because after graduating I moved to Thailand to teach English instead of seeking a higher paying job. And now I'm moving to Russia to do the same thing. While after Russia I'm going to have to figure out a transition plan back to the more normal work force, I don't regret taking less money and seeing the world for a few years. I couldn't be more content with my decision and I recommend thinking about what experiences one could buy with money, instead of the latest grail item must have whatever bullshit that you're going to hate next season (except for TOJ, would kill for bottle green MDR).
The ridiculous dinner I had at Noisette when my whole family was together for the first time in 2 years, way more memorable than any piece of clothing. Or climbing South Sister Mountain (10,400 ft.), even though it completely sucked (40 mile hour winds at the top blowing dust everywhere). I guess what I'm trying to say is look for contentedness in everything. Or maybe just a little balance...

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
giving this a bump with a quote:

There's some nice stuff in there, but there's something underwhelming about gigantic collections of clothing/shoes that look like they were assembled during a relatively brief period. There's just something impersonal, maybe even hollow, about it. Those Tumbler fashion bloggers have ruined the word, so I won't use "curated" here, but I get more out of seeing wardrobes that contain items that seem more carefully selected. I'm thinking of something such as Fuuma's footwear collection, which isn't enormous for someone who's been into fashion for so long. Yet you see it, and everything seems to have its place. There's nothing excessive about it. These gigantic, box-fresh wardrobes bankrolled by some guy's sweet gig in finance usually lack that quality.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's not a whole lot I'm putting away for the season, as my wardrobe is still very FW-centric, but I'm very excited to dig out my favorite fw pieces. I actually wore the hand dyed red denim jacket from the diy thread a few days this week and I think I'm really going to enjoy it this season, although I actually wish I had an indigo denim jacket as well. Also v much looking forward to digging out my sns herning stark and my eg field parka, along with another eg blazer which I just picked up from scott.m. Maybe i can get some pics, although most of my stuff is not that exciting.

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can't wait to start wearing knits full-time.

related: the epicurean knit thread is due for a revival

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads