The Contentedness thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, Jun 7, 2012.

1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

90% of the stuff talked about on here is not stuff we own, but things we consider buying. That makes sense, as we come here to think about things that we might want, but sometimes it's easy to lose perspective.

In this thread, we appreciate things we already have. It's not an anti-consumerist thread as such, I just think it'd be nice to have some balance.

Some things that we can talk about (not limited to):

1. Surprising combinations of clothing that worked.

2. How much nicer clothes are with a bit of wear.

3. Our best buys - things we always wear.

4. How our individual style has developed.

5. Things not to buy.

2. sipang

sipang Senior member

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

patrik ervell summer jeans from a couple of years ago
    These started out far more pastel in colour (see spoiler), and were also great then, but now they've got the 70s wash!!! I love these in summer.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

4. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

I approve of this topic.

5. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

expecting to see plenty of denim, but also lots of clothes that have just settled into rotation and aren't really thought of much, just enjoyed.

a bit of SF 2010 uniform, still pretty much my go-to:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

James Perse tees. bloomingdales sale special, not SF approved but I didn't know what "swagger" was until I made a grey JP tee part of my summer uniform and just felt so... right

7. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

My ponyhair boots are the single greatest clothing buy I've made. Unfortunately, the tongue is starting to go bald but it's in an area that overlaps anyway. Also, my ToJ suede varsity of greatness which I wear most days of the week

8. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Yeah, both exactly what i'm talking about. Clothing that you wear and just love and makes you feel great.

That the purple varsity kit? Perfect for you as well in the fit that i saw IIRC.

9. Dellath

Dellath Senior member

My ToJ VTG MDR (bit of a mouthful), and my pair of Iron Heart 666od.
    Had the MDR for 6 months and the 666od for 1 year, and feel like they have become an extension of myself and prior to 2 years ago clothes were mainly just functional, so this is a new experience for me.
    If either of these were ruined i would have to give them a viking burial, and salute them they as they burn in the ocean.

10. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

Off the top of my head...

Baracuta G9. Not sure I need to add much there.

KMW 1980's. My most beat up but comfortable jeans. I have Roys, FH, PBJ and IH, but I keep going back to the KMW's even though on the denim ladder they are prob considered a notch below the others.

11. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Gonna post one of Synthese's ramblings here.

12. superego

superego Senior member

These look great. Been looking for a solid super distressed wash for a couple months now...looks like I'll need to work for it.

My contentedness is my Somet 003s and Timberland Earthkeepers, likely with a Uniqlo or Aether hoodie. Yuppie thug, son.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

13. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Such a great idea for a thread.

I have these cotton twill Yohji pants with a high waist, low crotch, suspender buttons, two cinches at the side and a very full cut that are about 9 months old now I think.

[​IMG]

They are one of my favourite pants and are my go to whenever I don't feel like thinking too much about what I am wearing. When I first got them I was worried that they would not see much use due to the high waist (and they were my first pair of high waisted Yohji pants), but I bought them anyway as I had been strongly drawn to their design from the get go.They can be worn with suspenders, cinched at the sides and worn with a blazer to dress them up, cinched at the sides with the topmost buttons left undone for a great unstructured ruched effect at the waist and can add a belt if the mood takes me; roll them up high or low at the cuffs or leave them to lie all loose and rumpled over shoes, sneakers or boots.

The cotton fabric gives them a nice heft and yet they breathe very well and the way they drape when in motion feels great.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I have a Lanvin silk/cotton black/navy jacket from 2007 (?) that I still wear weekly or so and take with me whenever I move around, it was already machine washed when new and has a bunch of small tears and the silk fiber has started to unravel, looks really cool now. I have a made in USA levi belt that I wear almost daily, I do believe I got it like 17 yrs ago.

15. sneakyfast

sneakyfast Active Member

I have found my that my philosophy on style has changed over the years as I spent a lot of time and money chasing after the latest and greatest. But now I have found my self buying a lot less stuff and the purchases I make I tend to go towards high quality well made gear with classic lines that won't go out of style.

One of my favorites are my chocoloate brown Wolverine 1000 mile boots that I can wear with just about anything.