• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Accountability Thread

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the pervasive aggrandizement and suspense surrounding programs like these. 'Get my macros in order'? Eat cheese and meat for three days then eat a few loaves of bread. It's not a mystical erudite concoction.

Many people testify to its effectiveness in lieu of their personal pride for completing the program. The idea of a diet being a challenge is silly to me, but even still as a challenge it's not particularly difficult and as a diet it's not particularly effective. As a training program, I think it's pretty awful. From what I've seen, it seems to help contraindicated people more than its designated individuals.

A lot of Lyle's stuff is clever, but I also think a lot of it is nonsense. Try it out and make your own conclusions.

Edit: Didn't you get some damning blood test results? You should check with your doctor before starting a cyclical ketogenic diet...

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I don't understand the pervasive aggrandizement and suspense surrounding programs like these. 'Get my macros in order'? Eat cheese and meat for three days then eat a few loaves of bread. It's not a mystical erudite concoction.

I really hear what you are saying. Very observant.

When I read these diets, I find them overwhelming. I think therein lies the answer to why people tend to over aggrandize them so much. Body Opus is ******* 330 pages? That's a goddamn college textbook. Dude's spend so much time going into detail and leave all the daily manipulation up to the reader. If they'd just say... meat & cheese this week, 2400 kcal / day, people would find it easier.

Anyway, I'm going to cut back my updates in this thread as I should be less accountable, not more. I'm anal enough as it is. I have simple goals.

I would like to be able to run 5k's easily and consistently.

I would like to bench press and front squat my body weight.

I would like my shoulder to be pain free again.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Edit: Didn't you get some damning blood test results? You should check with your doctor before starting a cyclical ketogenic diet...
It was low HDL, with high trigylcerides. From internet doctorz to the American Heart Association they say this can be attributed to too much saturated fat or excess calories particularly in the form of carbs for some people. Excess carbs are converted by the liver into triglycerides. What constitutes excessive carbs or why this would be more true in some people than others is beyond me. Niacin and weight loss are universally recommended. Since my consumption of animal protein is typically low, and my intake of carbs in the form of grains, breads and "treats" fairly high it may stand to reason that I would benefit from reducing grains/sweets and increasing lean meats. Or, as you tend to say "eat normally". Since I have never counted calories, my point about "macros" was simply that I am starting to pay attention to how many calories I eat in a day since eating by "feel" hasn't worked great for me. I've typically been at 20-23% body fat with a few dips down to the 15-18% range. Vanity aside, my attention to getting body fat down to the 12%15% range right now is health related. I am currently asking myself why I would want to do in 6 weeks what I could do in 6 months using a more sustainable approach. It's probably a matter of compulsiveness and something that I am reconsidering. My general Doc is clueless, but I have a nutritionist I can consult with who I absolutely trust.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Well I'm back.

I was away for a week doing a project, and simultaneously away from my gym (and didn't look at a scale). Although I did do a fair number of situps daily. After Feb and early March, taking a week off didn't feel like a terrible idea, and in the meantime I got off the crash diet - started upping my caloric intake to at least a stone's throw from my estimated maintenance level, and adding some carbs into the mix. Not a ton of carbs, but some crackers and bread here and there.

I figured I'd get back and have gained a bit of weight as a result of all of that, but I was pretty at peace with that. Got back, first gym sesh in just over a week this morning - instead of gaining weight I lost another 8lbs. My gym shorts, which were just a little loose last time I went, now barely stay on.

So... wtf? I mean I'm not displeased, but seriously.

Cardio: 40 mins
Ab machine: 10x10x180 (getting close to maxing this machine out)
Chest press: 5x5x165
Pec Machine: 6x5x180
Vertical Row: 6x5x150
Cable Row: 6x5x130

Breakfast: egg whites scrambled with veg, prawns and parmesan
Post-wo whey shake
Lunch will be: 200g smoked salmon, beef & veggie soup, crackers
Dinner will be: Thinking prawn egg foo yung, got the ingredients.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's actually not uncommon. The body adapts to caloric deficits after a while, so going back to maintenance/surplus levels for a few days can actually promote more fat loss.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
So... wtf? I mean I'm not displeased, but seriously.

I'm not trying to jump down your throat, but WTF do you mean "wtf?" You were told this would happen, multiple times, by multiple people.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Well to be more accurate, I was told I would gain weight in the short term, then once my body processes had recovered, a small deficit could allow me to lose weight at a moderate pace. immediately losing 8lbs in a week with zero gym time is a slight departure from that, but fair point.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Well to be more accurate, I was told I would gain weight in the short term, then once my body processes had recovered, a small deficit could allow me to lose weight at a moderate pace. immediately losing 8lbs in a week with zero gym time is a slight departure from that, but fair point.

The weight loss is likely a lot of water being lost when cortisol levels drop. If you had stayed in the gym you'd probably not lose as much weight. That doesn't mean avoiding the gym will allow you to continue to lose more weight -- the 8lbs. lost was just suddenly manifested, but it had been building for a while. Eating more broke the dam, so to speak. Congratulations.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, back on the wagon. Went on my first legit bender over the weekend. Spent friday afternoon through monday morning in various states of drunkenness and hangover. Skipped my Sunday workout. Manged to avoid drunken binge eating somehow so weight/measurements today were actually better than pre-bender.

Today's workout - Start of week 4 of Madcow's 5x5

Squat:
115x5
140x5
170x5
200x5
225x5

Bench:
Same as Squat

Row:
95x5
105x5
125x5
145x5
165x5

assistance:
decline situps - 4x10 +25lbs
hyperextensions - 2x10 +35lbs

Today's Diet:
3 eggs scrambled with ham (450)
1c Milk (100)
Several ounces of ham (300)
1c Milk (100)
1 grilled chicken breast (300)
= 1250

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got to the doctor to check out my shoulder. Recommended two weeks off with consistent ibuprofen. I'm going to do this since I'm pretty much in the same place I was 3-4 weeks ago after light lifting. It might be hard to remember the ibuprofen. Two weeks off probably can't hurt me. It's not like I'm making great progress anyway.

Slightly off topic, but I have been having massive allergy attacks after running. I determined that zyrtec does not work for me, but claritin plus the doctor's free nasonex samples seems to be REALLY working. I skipped running today because it's the first day in a week I have been able to breathe and I just couldn't stand the idea of losing that again.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Got to the doctor to check out my shoulder. Recommended two weeks off with consistent ibuprofen. I'm going to do this since I'm pretty much in the same place I was 3-4 weeks ago after light lifting. It might be hard to remember the ibuprofen. Two weeks off probably can't hurt me. It's not like I'm making great progress anyway.

Slightly off topic, but I have been having massive allergy attacks after running. I determined that zyrtec does not work for me, but claritin plus the doctor's free nasonex samples seems to be REALLY working. I skipped running today because it's the first day in a week I have been able to breathe and I just couldn't stand the idea of losing that again.

Try keeping the bottle in a place you will see it, such as in your car seat, on the end table by the couch, coffee table, office desk, etc. You get the idea.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After moving again I finally have access to a decent gym. Currently around 180, about 12%. Right now I'm just going by the mirror, training hard and seeing where I am in 2-3 months. Training log is kept as far as sets and weight, but as far as my routine, it's pretty much whatever I feel like doing that day-which has worked good for me in the past.

Today:
1 scoop whey, special K almonds, 3 cups milk
2 scoops whey in water, 5g creatine (post workout)
1 burger (93/7), 1 tomato slice, 1 onion slice, lettuce, WW bun
12 grilled shrimp, 1/2 serrano pepper, 3 strawberries
2 scoops whey in water
1 gallon water throughout the day
Multi

15 min warmup on elliptical

ATF Squats
2 x 12
5x5

CGBP
2 x 10
5x5

Seated Leg Curls
4 x 12

Calf Raises
3 x 15
2 x 8

This is the first time I've done squats in about 7 months. Tomorrow I should be sore as all hell.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^ eh, not that hard actually. 1. Beer 2. Most alcoholic drinks 3. You do not eat out for leisure or business much, do you?
It is in China.
It's not hard to get a steak / chicken and veggies or a salad. Honestly it's just never felt like a big deal for me and I've done it a few times for long stretches (more than 6 months at a time).
It is in China. I've taken 10 days off, I'm still wrecked from my trip and I'm worried I'll get sick if I work out today. Putting off my comeback until tomorrow.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
It is in China.

It is in China.

I've taken 10 days off, I'm still wrecked from my trip and I'm worried I'll get sick if I work out today. Putting off my comeback until tomorrow.

Having spent most of my life in a neighboring country, I'd beg to differ. Yes, we have rice with every meals, but if you go light (if at all) on it, no one really gives a damn (after a few times asking why, naturally).

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Almost all meals are gai fan (over rice) so if you don't eat the rice, your portions are about 1/3rd of what they need to be. The problem isn't not eating rice, it's finding healthy things you can fill up instead of rice. It's either rice, or ordering 3x the dishes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics