• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tapered Chinos for Bigger Thighs?

Fazz93

Reaction score
I've also struggled with this issue from the moment I entered the corporate world and started wearing real trousers. I've spent a significant amount of money on 'learning experiences' and I hope you're able to avoid those same costly mistakes.

For reference, I'm 5'11 - 190lbs.
•45" chest
•35" waist
•44" seat
•27" quads
•16.5" calves

View attachment 780592
I used to taper the life out of my trousers and bring them down to a mere 7" leg opening. I did so in effort to showcase my shoes(or boots), which at the time I thought were drowned out by 8-9" hems. However, I've come to realize that this was an unflattering as it was unsightly.

View attachment 780593
Recently I've been taking all my trousers back to the tailor in waves to have them redone. The above is ~8.5". Again, not perfect, but certainly an improvement...and the aesthetics of my beautiful shoes aren't compromised. A happy medium I'd say.

View attachment 780594
For casual chinos I've been getting away with 8" openings.

I see what you mean mate :) thanks for the photos!

Have you stumbled across any brands that fit better than others?

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see what you mean mate :) thanks for the photos!

Have you stumbled across any brands that fit better than others?

Believe it or not, for a budget option, the Bonobos 'athletic fit' chinos are pretty solid off the rack. As others have mentioned, Epaulet's Rudy fit is quite nice for a bit more premium chino option.

For business/dress wool trousers and the like - I normally buy a 38 waist and have them recut to fit my waist. I'm a big fan of our forum sponsor NoManWalksAlone for their quality garments and free shipping/returns (no hassle).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads