1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

tailors in seoul korea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HanSoo417, Jul 14, 2008.

1. WDTodd

WDTodd Member

Hi Growiel,

I have used my alterations guy for years and send all my alterations customers to him. The shop is called Jeilsa (제일사) and it's located in Cheongdam-dong. The phone number is 02-515-4505. English is not spoken. The work you described shouldn't be difficult for him unless you have surgeon's cuffs on your jacket. If it's off the rack, though, it probably won't have them, so it'll be a simple alteration.

2. rando

rando Senior member

I moved to Korea last year and brought a bunch of shoes over. I have a pair of shoes that are just too tight (bought online during a sale in the US so could not return). Any idea on how to go about trying to sell them here? That way I can justify buying another pair at Unipair...

3. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    You could list them on auction.co.kr, place them in a consignment shop (there are a few in Apkujung-dong and elsewhere), place an ad in one of the marketplaces of the many expat forums, or create a "cafe" on Naver and post your shoes there - Koreans use Naver more than any other site, it's the national portal. An example of "cafes" is here.

Since Korea is an expensive country that loves its import duties you may be able to fetch a higher price by selling locally, but I think you'll get more views and have a better chance to sell by listing them here, on the other sites, and/or on ebay.

1 person likes this.
  4. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

Hello all,

I have been reading through this very informative thread and want to ask a few questions. From what I have gathered:

For a good bespoke suit around 1000-2000 USD, Segi Tailor and B&Tailor are the places to go.

For a good custom shirt, Goshe and (again) B&Tailor are the places to go.

I am assuming the above bespoke tailors also make good spots coats, but please let me know suggestions for places that specialize in sports coats.

For bespoke shoes, i have no idea. Suarte? i was just in Busan and saw a Suarte store. They seem ok, but it was a quick glance. Are there local shoemakers on the level of Carmina or Enzo Bonafe? Suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks gents

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Both those brands are carried by Unipair in Sinsa. As far as sport coats, BnT

6. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

I am aware of Unipair. They are more expensive then ordering outside outside of Korea though. I was wondering about bespoke quality on the level of those types of shoe stores. Thanks for the info on the Sports coats. I will probably be buying a few before my next suit purchase.

7. syss

syss Active Member

What is BnT's pricing for sport coats these days? I'm thinking of trying them out.

8. Claghorn

@Cao Cao is there now and can probably report the most up to date pricing.

9. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

It seems that Segi and B&Tailor have both upped their starting prices:

Hello.
    Thank you for you interst in SEGI bespoke tailor.

The starting price for a two piece suit is 2,000,000KRW, for a jacket is 1,400,000KRW, for a dress shirt is 150,000KRW
    It takes 4~5 weeks to make a suit or a jacket include twice intermediate fitting, it takes 2~3weeks to make a shirt.

Best regards

SEGI bespoke tailor

Hi,

Thank you for E-mail.

We have changed our working process and price.

Jacket starts about 1500 USD.

Coat starts about 2100 USD.

Suit starts about 2000 USD.

Thank you so much.

If you have a question, E-mail please.

Best regards
    B&TAILOR ( chang jin )

Both are higher than either previously quoted or mentioned. I guess I will look elsewhere or wait until I return to the states. At that price point I might as well have it made in the states unless someone here can tell me something different or special about their suits.

10. SuprMe

SuprMe New Member

Very very new here. Please forgive me, this will probably be rambley.

We've lived in Seoul for a number of years now my husband has spent far too much money on fast asian suits that do not fit him. He's tall and slim but has slightly broader shoulders and longer arms than the typical asian cut here. We had one suit made in itaewon a few years back (for our wedding) which turned out okay but the more I look at suits the more flaws I see (the name of the tailor escapes me, atm). I can post photos if it would help. He now requires a few new well fitting suits for work.
    We both come from blue collar backgrounds. So, there are no family members that we could really go to for guidance and the more I read the more over my head i'm starting to feel.

He only wears suits 3~6 days a month on web TV. But the cast is to young adults so he doesn't want an old guy suit.

From what I can gather, we need:
    2~3 fairly classically cut suits in the classic colors (Charcoal gray, Black, Navy)
    7~10 shirts
    24 ties

Made to Measure seems to fit for our budget and what we realistically need at the moment. I've seen two names thrown around on here most often "Savile Row" and "Han's" I'm wondering if these tailors are still active and if anyone can suggest some keywords to throw around in regards to cut/fabric type/etc.

Edit* I just noticed a post in regards to "Tailorable Blue Label" which listed a 2 piece canvas suit fot 750,000W is this rate still valid? We're looking to pay some where under 900,000W/suite if possible. Quality & a good fit is a must.

In terms of shirts, is it best to go through the same tailor for shirts? Are tailors able to do unusual/bright colors? or is it best to buy well fitting shirts and have them altered?

In terms of ties. I've been looking at importing via. The Tie Bar. They seem to have a great selection and have good reviews in terms of quality.
    I figured we'd start with a starter pack similar to what is shown here: http://putthison.com/post/1644340218/mostexerent-great-example-of-what-to-start
    and add in 1 solid black, 1 solid charcoal gray, 1 striped black, 1 solid light gray, 1 solid red. Any guidance in this matter would be very well received.

Thanks everyone....

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  11. Claghorn

What sort of budget do you have (goal, and highest) for each element (suits, ties, shirts)?

12. SuprMe

SuprMe New Member

Total budget I would prefer to stay under 3M KRW but can stretch to 3.5M if there is a jump in quality.
    I figured around 1.5~2M for suits/500K for shirts/200K~300K for ties/any other accessories we may need.

13. Claghorn

You might check out Hans or Savile Row; I do t know much about them, but some people early on in the thread were pretty happy.

I don't know if Tailorable does mtm, but I like their RTW stuff and they use good fabric, so that's an option.

If you are looking to pay 90만원 for a suit, that restricts you a bit. I want to say just get two really good suits from somewhere like BnTailor instead of three alright suits. If you purchase your own fabric (3.5m is enough unless your husband is exceptionally large), you can cut down on costs. There are several good websites from which to purchase fabric--if you decide to go this route, I'll try to recall the one with the best selection and a nice habit of undervaluing the product on customs to duck import fees.

When you get the navy suit, wherever you get it, get it with two patch pockets; this will allow it to double as a blazer.

Shirts, you can probably go so we here in Itaewon. As long as you stick with their standard collar offering, they're all mostly serviceable. Make sure the are 100% cotton. You should be able to come in at around, maybe a bit under 50만원 for shirts

Ties, I want to say again, cut down on quantity in favor of quality. Not that I am suggesting you start spending 90 dollars a tie, but I'd start out trying to find 10 decent ties from eBay at 30 dollars a piece as opposed to 20 dollars on bad ties from Tie Bar.

Check out The Knottery, which at least has decent knit ties that are pretty cheap.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  14. syss

syss Active Member

I recommend Tailorable for suits vs Hahn's or Saville Row. The jacket fit, workmanship, and fabric are all significantly better. I went to Hahn's when I was first getting into custom suits but now use Tailorable as my go-to for suits/sportcoats. I have only used Tailorable's custom service (vs Blue Label rtw). Never used Saville Row, but I remember some positive posts here.

Tailorable does shirts as well, but they are a bit pricier (~150). As Claghorn said, Itaewon shops are serviceable; Hamilton is the main one that I know of. I have a couple of shirts from them which are, fine but nothing special.

To summarize: Tailorable for suite, Hamilton or similar for shirts

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask here or in PM and I will try to help.

1 person likes this.
  15. Claghorn

How much does Tailorable MTM run?

16. syss

syss Active Member

My last sport coat was around 700 and a 3-piece suit was something like 1200. VBC for both.

Not sure exactly where on the continuum they lie between MTM and bespoke - fittings are initial measurement, basted, then forward/final (with changes if I want, but buttonholes etc. are cut). I've had an extra basted fitting on one piece and they say bespoke and refer to my pattern, so judge that as you will.

17. SuprMe

SuprMe New Member

Hi again!
    First, thanks for all of the feed back! In my rambles I think I forgot to mention the second biggest issue after limited budget, time. He will be flying out on Oct. 25 for 2 weeks of work (5~6 days in suits) and will need the suits/shirts/etc. completed a few days before that.

@syss From what I gather a bespoke suit would require multiple fittings typically overs several weeks. They derive a pattern based on your form as well as your requests. Where as a MTM suit usually only requires one fitting as they simply scale a common pattern to fit your measurements and adjust as necessary. Most MTM suits are complete in 1~3 weeks.

My biggest concern with going to tailorable is turn around time. I don't see that they do MTM, though I will call tomorrow and see what they say. I am SUPER interested in trying them though. Their suits look sharp and they would be within the stretched budget for 2 suits.

As much as I would love to drag him down to BnTailor, it is super out of the budget (@2k/suit) from everything I've seen. Even if time allowed for the import of fabrics to reduce costs, the suits are very sharp, but overall not really a great deal either. So, for now I've ruled them out.

Shirts! I will definitely look up Hamilton for shirts (Do they have fun/offbeat colors?) He will not wear a white shirt, colored is a must, bright colors are better.
    The best feed back we received was from a OTR H&M bright turquoise shirt with a (cheap) black skinny tie. He didn't like the fit of the shirt, so it made it's way out of rotation.

Ties! Are there any brand names I should be looking for or paticular styles/color cobos that are fairly classic? The Knit ties are not something that he is really into atm. Skinny ties (2~2.5") are his favorite.
    Due to his affinity for bright shirts I have been sticking more with solid color, high contrast ties. Like, black with a bright blue shirt/silver with a red or burgundy/gray or white with pretty much anything. Is this wrong?
    Over all my plan with the ties was to get a number that would work for now (3~5 ties from tie bar) and then shop for the more extravigent ties throughout the next year adding ties into a collection. I also have to pick up a real tie box, haha.

In terms of fabrics what should I be looking for? I have seen flannels suggested for a classic gray suit and have seen the terms "Super 100s" "Super 120s" and "Super 150s" suggested for the others (black/navy). Also, if I know what to ask for and am willing to pay, is it not possible to get great fabrics from one of the MTM guys?
    His favorite suit (which fits horribly) is OTR from MSGM. It has a nice fabric but it cut for a Korean and they were unable to alter it significantly enough for it to look good. I'm really looking for similar or better quality.

Favorite blue shirt (That he doesn't wear):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  18. syss

syss Active Member

Suits
    Given your deadline, Tailorable custom is out - it's usually a few weeks between each fitting with them. Hahn's or Saville row could accommodate your deadline. I'm sure you know that Chuseok is coming up in a few days, so places may be closed next week and I would expect delays even if they're open.

Some benefits of MTM/bespoke are fit and options so if Tailorable RTW fits well there's no reason not to just go with that. It sounds like you're looking for basics, so the RTW fabric and style options will be fine.

Shirts
    Hamilton has a million bolts of fabric so I'm sure they have something for you. I haven't been there in a while (and I tend toward classic colors/patterns) so I don't know offhand. They'll certainly have a variety of shades of blue and pink, checks and stripes, etc.

Fabric
    Read the primer on suits here, and an article on super numbers here if you're curious.
    The takeaways are that the higher the super number, the finer the wool, which translates to a softer but arguably more fragile fabric. There are forum debates as to what is best but don't worry too much about it at this point. Tailorable and B&Tailor will carry mostly British or Italian fabrics, while the Itaewon tailors will carry mostly Korean (or Chinese), which are generally less expensive and not as nice. They'll still be serviceable though.

Quality/style
    I don't know what MSGM is, but all of the houses under discussion have decent to excellent quality. Style-wise, there are examples of Hahn's and Saville row's work in earlier posts on this thread and you've seen Tailorable and B&Tailor yourself.

2 people like this.
  19. Idreamofsakura

Idreamofsakura Active Member

Anyone know how much the custom fees are for importing fabric? Was considering purchasing some fabric for a suit.
    Also for those purchasing fabric here's a list of common fabrics you'll encounter at tailors if it helps at all for those getting something done here.​

[​IMG]

Here's a hierarchy of the Samsung fabric in case anyone would like to know. I can try and look for sample photos if anyone is interested. I always hear people purchasing Samsung Fabric but always curious which line they purchased.
    [​IMG]
    From top to bottom Cheilan-> World Best -> VIP ->Marche-> Temptation, Prestige-> Genesis, Castelario, Bonabitto

Also I'll be checking out another factory shirt maker called Frank Lord to get some shirts made. Maybe it will be an alternative to Hamilton. Will update later.

1 person likes this.
  20. QQQQ

QQQQ New Member

@SuprMe Wait, is your husband Artosis the caster??

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015