1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

tailors in seoul korea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HanSoo417, Jul 14, 2008.

1. HanSoo417

HanSoo417 Senior member

Looking to buy a tailored suit in korea. Any recommendations.

tips would be helpful tool. like how to make sure i'm not being ripped off.

I'm here for the summer and heard that i could get cheaper prices and hopefully a better fit seeing as how my body type is more similar to the people here than the big fold in america.

2. slipperywhenwet

slipperywhenwet Senior member

Welcome to Korea. How much do you want to spend? What style do you like? Do you think those men in the shiny silver suits actually look good?

Whatever you do, stay out of Itaewon. Yes, they can make you a "nice suit" for cheap, but it'll last barely more than a month.

Go where the Koreans go, but be certain to make sure that the tailor knows that you don't want to look like a basketball player. Korean men wear suits that are usually 2 sizes too large, have droopy asses, and are WAY too wide in the legs.

I found that explaining that I wanted a slim fit helped a lot. Also, don't expect to be happy with your first pair of pants. It will be hard for a tailor to really understand what you want if you like to dress properly here. However, the tailor I dealt with adapted quickly, and my second and third pants were perfect.

For a Korean suit, expect to pay around $350 as a minimum, and for pants around $100. Shits run around $30~50. The pants are made as well as my Paul Smith, and have lasted well. I never bought any suits because I'm not a fan of the styles, but that's just me. The shirts I've had made are not bad either.

3. Matt

Matt Senior member

Search for posts by Alias from a few years back. I think je ended up finding a decent tailor.

4. HanSoo417

HanSoo417 Senior member

I'm looking for a simple slim black suit. No, i don't like those shiny suits that people wear and i don't want to spend more than $400. $300 is the price i was hoping for.

Is itaewon that bad? i was told to go there by a few people. lol

Where exactly do the koreans go anyways?

5. Matt

Matt Senior member

I'm looking for a simple slim black suit.
    *gulp*

6. slipperywhenwet

slipperywhenwet Senior member

Simple black almost any tailor here can do, and do a good job within your price range.

Itaewon is the seedy area that most of the G.I.s hang out in. It reminds me of the most rundown parts of Beijing where the foreigners would go to get fakes. You'll be looking at shops that are run by people who know that they will never see their clients again because most of them are just there on holidays.

I had a tailor in Bundang, who I liked quite a bit. Most of the tailors here, especially in the lower price ranges, don't actually make the suits. Rather they take the measurements and send those measurements and any special instructions to a central facility, where the clothing is then made. It takes about a week to get pants or shirts, but I'm not sure how long for jackets.

7. Xenok

Xenok Member

The two tailors in Seoul that have been mentioned in this forum are Hahn's and Satoria Min.

Hahn's is actually in Itaewon, and I've gotten a charcoal gray suit from them and I'm quite satisfied with them. They do a good job (for the price at least) but it's important that you tell them what you want. The default style is definitely not what you would consider slim fitting. The cost is about $450 for a suit, and $600 with an extra pair of pants. This is for local material, i.e. Cheil's top of the line stuff. If you want Loro Pianna or Scabal, double that. I don't remember what other books they carry but they definitely have those two.

Alias (another SF member) has recommended Satoria Min. He's located at Grand Intercontinental Hotel (not COEX Intercontinental). You might have to search for his post.

I've also heard good things about Zenith Tailor at Grand Intercontinental and most people tell me the tailors at the top hotels are all pretty decent, but of course pricier.

There's a street near City Hall that's famous for their tailors, and I walked by it once and was very impressed by their window display. I forgot the name though, I'll try to see if I can find out what the street is called.

Itaewon is filled with shady fly-by-night operations, but they are not all bad, you just have to be careful.

I've had no luck with shirts though. Hahn's outsources their shirts and I wasn't too happy with the results (the sleeves are too baggy and the cuffs and collar too stiff), so I'm probably going to try Hamilton next.

8. riotshield

riotshield Well-Known Member

I had a few suits made in Itaewon. One at Hahn's and two at a shop a few doors down called Savile Row. The Hahn suit is more business (versatile for work), the Savile Row suits are more form fitting. Very good construction on both though. I paid 450K won for the Hahn and 375K for the Savile Row.

I've had good luck with Hamilton for MTM shirts (also in Itaewon), for about 35K-45K won a shirt.

9. Alias

Alias Senior member

Really late to this thread.

Min is a great tailor. It's too bad he'll be moving to the States in September. I'll be getting as many suits from him as I can before he does. I went for a fitting just today in fact.

I haven't found any decent shirtmakers in Seoul. Not one. Of course I'm the kind of guy who looks for pattern matching at the shoulders and all that picky stuff.

After Mr. Min goes, I might try out Zenith, but the guy who runs that store is an ass. The actual tailor on the other hand is a nice guy. The worksmanship is pretty good.

But as far as tailored clothing goes, you get what you pay for.

10. HanSoo417

HanSoo417 Senior member

Itaewon is filled with shady fly-by-night operations, but they are not all bad, you just have to be careful.

be careful? How do I be careful? what are thing I need to look out for?
    I'm a poor college student so i don't need the finest of suits. I just want one to fit me right. I'm 5'4" so most suits look a little funny off the rack even with alterations. and since i'm looking for a slim suit, slim suits don't look slim on a guy my height.

11. maclock

maclock Member

Sorry, but I'm reviving this thread. Can anyone name any tailors in Seoul offering bespoke service on the level of W.W. Chan & Sons? If they can speak some English, that would be even better.

The tailoring prices in Seoul might make a short trip there well worth my while if they will do a few fittings, etc. Do the tailors in Seoul offer bespoke? Do they canvas their suits? So many questions....

12. Sartorial in Seattle

Sartorial in Seattle Member

I have had a number of suits and a few odd jackets made by "England" tailor Jung Been Lee in Itaewan. Excellent craftsmanship and a variety of 150's wool materials to choose from.

13. maclock

maclock Member

Any contact and/or cost information, Sartorial in Seattle?

Many thanks,
    maclock

14. Sartorial in Seattle

Sartorial in Seattle Member

15. maclock

maclock Member

Many thanks. I have dropped him a line.

Can anyone confirm whether Mr. Min of Satoria Min has moved to the States?

16. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Really late to this thread.

Min is a great tailor. It's too bad he'll be moving to the States in September. I'll be getting as many suits from him as I can before he does. I went for a fitting just today in fact.

I haven't found any decent shirtmakers in Seoul. Not one. Of course I'm the kind of guy who looks for pattern matching at the shoulders and all that picky stuff.

After Mr. Min goes, I might try out Zenith, but the guy who runs that store is an ass. The actual tailor on the other hand is a nice guy. The worksmanship is pretty good.

But as far as tailored clothing goes, you get what you pay for.

Alias, have you had any luck with shirtmakers? I'm leaving Korea next month and I wanted to take my best fitting shirt and just have it copied 4-5x over before I go home.

I've tried Dainty but I wasn't impressed with the result, so I want to try some place else...

17. dizzhizz

dizzhizz Senior member

i think there is a reputable shirt maker over in the basement of the Hyatt hotel that gets a lot of attention from the ex-pat community so might be worthy to check out...

18. stvnr

stvnr Active Member

I would be interested in this as well. I've had shirts made at several tailors but haven't been happy with any of them.

19. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

i think there is a reputable shirt maker over in the basement of the Hyatt hotel that gets a lot of attention from the ex-pat community so might be worthy to check out...
    I'm going to check em out tomorrow. I'd really like to basically trash 4-5 of my old Jantzen shirts with fresh jawnz if I can. I'll let the board know the results.

20. sage_incognito

sage_incognito Active Member

Interesting to see discussions going on about tailors in Korea. Yes Korean men are indeed victims of rapid modernization and economic growth. They are not given a chance to savor and appreciate the true beauty or style of gentlemen's suit. Almost 99% of Korean male in suit are fashion-terrorists - wearing huge suit (on average 2 size larger than their body size) or excessively shining skinny suit (we deride them as "cutlass fish"). The long trousers (thus making heavy breaks around ankles) and cheap black square-toed shoes have become an easy identification tag for Koreans when you see them overseas.

Yet as a member of Style Forum and an active participant at Korea's own version of style forum, I would like to let you know there are two excellent stores.

1. Segi tailor: It means "century tailor" ("Segi" is pronounced "Seh-ghee." The first syllable se as in "set" the second ghee as in "lamborghini") Famous for tailoring the three former Korean presidents, their style is excellent - true to Neapolitan style. Visit "www.segitailor.com" and check their style yourselves. The price starts with 1200K won (about US$900) and for a Neapolitan style, you should pay at least 2000k won (about US$1500). It's a bespoke tailorshop, taking more than three weeks. Located at the B1 floor of Lotte Hotel near City Hall.

Please note most tailorshops around Sogong-dong (nearby City hall and Bank of Korea building) are the best in Korea, which means the most expensive. Frequent customers include politicians, CEO's of big companies, high-ranking diplomats, etc. Among them Segi is rated one of the best.

2. Lansmere: Located in Cheongdam dong (upscale town in Kangnam area), this is a collection shop of luxury goods. It also provides a wonderful custom tailoring. Starting price is around 3000K won (about US$2300). They also sell John Lobb shoes, Tie your tie ties, Attolini suits, etc.

As for shirts, Hamilton is not regarded as good among the members of that Korean version of style forum. Instead they recommend "Lims" at Hyatt (on the foothills of Namsan Mountain) and "Savile Row" nearby Sejong Art Center. (this place is quite hard to find for foreigners). Price starts with around 50k won (35 dollars). "Goshe" is also a good one located in Apgujeong dong. (As far as I know, Goshe and Savile Row are from the same managers). I am not sure whether or they can speak and understand English at those shops, yet their quality is good.

You can buy some upscale shoes like Stefano Bemer, John Lobb in Seoul as well only you know where they are sold. Believe or not, you can buy Church's shoes at dirt cheap price in Seoul, only if you know how to shrewdly use "the shoe voucher" at the department store (while supplies last). Some of my friend bought a pair of Church's Consul at 400k won. (around US $300).

The more you know about Seoul, the more surprised you will be. I'm Korean living in Seoul for more than 25 years. Ask me anything about Seoul.