• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailors in seoul korea?

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if savile row does not do a good job with my bro-in-law's suit, i'm definitely giving my business to Hahn's next
i may give them a try anyway

not the best pics but here's the new suit
looks almost like a solid navy from a distance
then looks like a windowpane at medium distance
and then you can see the glen plaid closer up

1 3/4" cuffs
8" leg opening

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Looks good

Yea the only problem with Hanhs is their strong shoulders.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol
so ... should i get my jacket made at savile row and my pants made at Hahn's?
:slayer:

actually not the worst idea... although it'd end up costing a little more

SeoulSurvivor

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

First time posting. Tried to read through as many posts as I could, but they go back in time some what.
Since everything in Korea is opening and closing so often wanted to get an idea of what was a good deal now a days.

I saw a premium custom shirt was about 180,000. Can I get a decent custom shirt for about 80? Is there a min. order and where do you recommend I go? I saw some posts about the Hamilton Hotel being the only spot to go, but that was a few years ago.

Also this will be my first MTM Suit. Looking in the 600-700,000 range, I saw Hahn's and Mono Gallery as top picks?
I'm 180cm, 70kg and athletic. 31/32 waist. Most Korean clothing doesn't fit my shoulders or chest.

Thanks!

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello Gents,

First time posting. Tried to read through as many posts as I could, but they go back in time some what.
Since everything in Korea is opening and closing so often wanted to get an idea of what was a good deal now a days.

I saw a premium custom shirt was about 180,000. Can I get a decent custom shirt for about 80? Is there a min. order and where do you recommend I go? I saw some posts about the Hamilton Hotel being the only spot to go, but that was a few years ago.

Also this will be my first MTM Suit. Looking in the 600-700,000 range, I saw Hahn's and Mono Gallery as top picks?
I'm 180cm, 70kg and athletic. 31/32 waist. Most Korean clothing doesn't fit my shoulders or chest.

Thanks!

Do you want a MTM suit or a bespoke suit?

Shirts can go as low as 60,000 won. Shirts in the Itaewon area are all the same. You can go into just about any shop and they will send it to the same place to get made.

Last edited:

SeoulSurvivor

Reaction score
After reading the thread I was under the impression that I would have spend more than W1,000,000 for a true bespoke suit.

Wouldn't a bespoke suit be better than a MTM suit? In that case I would like the best suit I can get for my budget. ^^
Thank You!

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After reading the thread I was under the impression that I would have spend more than W1,000,000 for a true bespoke suit.

Wouldn't a bespoke suit be better than a MTM suit? In that case I would like the best suit I can get for my budget. ^^
Thank You!

Bespoke is the process of having a pattern cut out and put together for you. It has nothing to do with construction and material. For example, you can pay top dollar for tons of handwork and rare fabrics or spend less for machine made basic fabrics. So there is decent bespoke for under 1 million won.

Last edited:

SeoulSurvivor

Reaction score
Ah, thank you for the knowledge! In that case I'd like to go bespoke. Recommendations?

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i tend to think ... if one does not know the difference between MTM and bespoke and other things related to having a suit made for you, then jumping straight into bespoke is not necessarily the best thing
i'd take some baby steps and try a MTM to figure out what you really like before dropping the money for a real bespoke commission

Last edited:

SeoulSurvivor

Reaction score
Isn't the duty of a true bespoke tailor be to walk me through the process, guide me on the options? Or do Korean Bespoke tailors just slam customers into the cheapest easiest pattern possible?

Regardless... that was my original plan. As I originally said, "Also this will be my first MTM Suit. Looking in the 600-700,000 range, I saw Hahn's and Mono Gallery as top picks? I'm 180cm, 70kg and athletic. 31/32 waist. Most Korean clothing doesn't fit my shoulders or chest." So hoping you guys can give me a recommendation. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
In theory, yes, but what you want to look like and what a tailor wants you to look like are going to be different. It's probably more about balance...you coming in with an image in mind and then the tailor tempering that with his advice and knowledge. If you aren't too experienced, you'll just end up with a suit that's 100% your tailor and 0% you...and given the tastes of a lot of Korean tailors...even the good ones...that might not be something you want. The best advice I can give you is to bring someone who understands what you want with you...that second eye is really important until you become confident enough that you can resist when/if a tailor tries to push a certain cut/length/feature on you.

I've had been to a couple of places. Solosso in Cheongdam isn't bad...starts at around 900,000 for a suit and they have Scabal fabrics (those will run about 2,800,000). Recently went to Hamilton...one of the lower end tailors...and was pretty happy with their work. 500,000 for a jacket and 200,000 for trousers (2 jackets, 2 trousers, and 1 suit). They definitely like their jackets short and I had to basically shove a 29 inch length down their throat (and one of them was made 28 inches anyway). Hamilton has some cheaper options...I think suits start at around 550,000...but those are only 95% wool.

Getting some linen jackets made at a place near the office, but have had no experience there yet.

syss

Reaction score
I'm new to MTM/bespoke and starting with MTM has been very helpful for me to learn both what I want and how to interact with the tailor to make sure I get it. And MTM is less expensive.

On another note - I've been lurking for quite a while. This thread has been quite helpful so I figured I should contribute some info as well. The owner from Goshe told me they are starting a MTM suit line at Classic 101 (their other store across the street). Limited fabric right now, but it looked nice - Scabal (I think) bolts and Loro Piana books. Starting from high 600's and I got quoted 790 for a suit out of one of the bolts. I haven't taken the plunge yet, but thought I'd share.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm new to MTM/bespoke and starting with MTM has been very helpful for me to learn both what I want and how to interact with the tailor to make sure I get it. And MTM is less expensive.

On another note - I've been lurking for quite a while. This thread has been quite helpful so I figured I should contribute some info as well. The owner from Goshe told me they are starting a MTM suit line at Classic 101 (their other store across the street). Limited fabric right now, but it looked nice - Scabal (I think) bolts and Loro Piana books. Starting from high 600's and I got quoted 790 for a suit out of one of the bolts. I haven't taken the plunge yet, but thought I'd share.
790 for Loro Piana or Scabal? If so that's the cheapest I've come across in Seoul (and I'll be paying a visit to Classic 101 shortly).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads