1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

tailors in seoul korea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HanSoo417, Jul 14, 2008.

1. WDTodd

WDTodd Member

Holymoly

Thank you for including my shop, Well Dressed, on your list!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. WDTodd

WDTodd Member

Idreamofsakura

Interesting post on your quest to find a tailor within Dongdaemun. I'm interested in seeing how your shirt turned out.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Did you use to occasionally hang out at a Starbucks near Cheongdam Station? It used to be a study hangout of mine and you look familiar judging from your store's Facebook page.

4. WDTodd

WDTodd Member

Yes, the Cheongdam Park Starbucks is one of my regular Starbucks. Was just there yesterday, in fact. Small world!

5. Eyepilot

Eyepilot New Member

Seems a lot to bother when you can buy Twill 100 % cotton off Tmlewin or other mainstreet website for 20 pounds -- I usually wait for sale season to get that price and buy a few for dear hubby. Is the custom fit, fabric worth it, because I'll have them made here, if so?

6. Idreamofsakura

Idreamofsakura Active Member

Hello WDTodd,

Here are the pics of the shirt and here is what the shirt fabric looks like up close ( pants are tight, I know but its just a pair of standard OTR pants and put on some weight.). I was pushed to use lighter fabrics with polyester and this is what was considered cotton ( I assume its an unbalanced ply of 2x1?). I think the tailors in Dongdaemun and the tailors around Gwangjang Market all make the same shirts and just use the same design, same bloated sleeves, and same lapels on every suit. As mentioned before, the tailor has , I'm assuming, apprentices who do the shirts and he does the suit himself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope Well Dressed is doing well! I read your articles from time to time that are featured in the Koreatimes.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  7. WDTodd

WDTodd Member

Hi Idreamofsakura

My apologies for the late response. By the way, thanks for the kind words! Things continue to get better each month we are open.

As you are aware, there are numerous shirt factories in the Dongdaemun/Gwangjang Market vicinity. To the best of my knowledge, however, they don't have many walk-in customers and thus, are more likely to be using a more outdated pattern than a shop which targets a younger and more style-conscious clientele. Personally, I would avoid an independent tailor in the area as it's unlikely their patterns have adjusted to the times. Re shirts, you can bet the house that any tailor in the area is outsourcing shirt work (and in many cases, suit work, as well) to a factory. The idea of apprentices is a great one, as there are many young guys and gals here who wish to learn the trade. However, I believe that few individual old school tailors would utilize them.

I'm looking forward to sharing thoughts and experiences with you here.

8. jdanielca

jdanielca Senior member

http://www.ditailor.co.kr/

I came across this guy on instagram some VERY nice looking jackets. Does not seem to be mentioned here but then again I have not gone through all 36 pages... anyone have any experience?

http://ditailor.co.kr/220188604327 they quoted me around 2K USD for this unlined jacket more for an overcoat.... I think possible unlined jackets require more finesse and work.... opinions?

9. WDTodd

WDTodd Member

That is a lovely looking coat indeed. According to the blog entry, the fabrics in the bunch book are wool/cashmere blends (perhaps 90% wool/10% cashmere?) and 100% cashmere. If I were you, I would request confirmation of the prices of the two different fabrics, as the price you mentioned would seem far too high for a wool blend.

10. jdanielca

jdanielca Senior member

I've sent them a message let's see what they say do me a favour take a look at their instagram and let me know if you are as impressed as I am...look at their other work I think it looks much better than say http://www.tailorshop.co.kr/common/#, especially if you look at that unlined coat the detail looks pretty amazing.

11. jdanielca

jdanielca Senior member

Apparently it is wool not cashmere, according to them.

12. WDTodd

WDTodd Member

Just as a point of reference, based on my experience, tailor shops located within higher end hotels in Seoul do place a price premium
    on their products.

13. jdanielca

jdanielca Senior member

Not unexpected I guess.

14. syss

syss Active Member

Slight tangent, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good dry cleaner in Seoul? My local 세탁소 can handle simple jobs but I'd like to find someone I can trust with nicer articles - i.e. better suits and DJ, can properly press a 3-roll-2, etc. Thanks.

15. syss

syss Active Member

16. WDTodd

WDTodd Member

I use 드림 명품 크리닝 in Cheongdam-dong. The address is 청담동 124-13, and it's located a stone's throw from JYP headquarters. If you see throngs of teenage girls loitering in the streets, you know you're close. I don't know if the operator of the dry cleaner speaks English or not, but it's a family-run enterprise and they're friendly as heck. I have never had ironing issues and they even individually wrap my MOP suit buttons in foil to protect them. Dry cleaning for one suit runs 15,000 won and it usually takes two days.

Phone: 02-544-8806

1 person likes this.
  17. syss

syss Active Member

That sounds great. Thanks WDTodd!

18. SULLI

SULLI Member

Recommendations for a tailor in Seoul?

I don't know much about suits, but I have an idea of what I want it to look like. Simple gray two button, notched lapels. Not too tight like some of the suits I've seen on young people and not too loose either.

I'll only be wearing it a few times a year. Need it for a wedding in April.

How long is turn around time usually? I assume I'll be needing a MTM suit and not a bespoke. I'll need the jacket, pants, and a white shirt, looking to spend up to 1 mil won including shoes. A tailor that can speak some English would be preferable.

19. WDTodd

WDTodd Member

Hello SULLI,

At my shop, Well Dressed, we'd be happy to help you with this. Turn around time is roughly 2 weeks with a second fitting a week after you place your order. I'm American so you won't have to worry about language issues. For the price you mentioned, MTM would be your best bet.

I'll PM you my contact information.

20. Growiel

Growiel New Member

Hi first time poster, long time lurker,

I bought an almost brand new suit from a friend very cheap (he's moving and had to get rid of it) and the fit is almost perfect, i need to get the sleeves shortened and the pants too, the shoulder and everything else is good.

Where can I find a good tailor to do this in Seoul ? I've heard that adjusting the sleeve can sometimes be tricky. I can provide pictures of anything needed if required.

Thanks guys!