• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dhizzy123

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the real measurement is on a 38L Napoli? I received one today and mine has 25 inch sleeves (34.2 from the neck to cuff) which are an inch shorter than the size chart. The jacket is also .75 inches shorter than the size chart which lines up with a 38R, even though the jacket is tagged a 38L.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
i literally wore a grey suitsupply suit and a blue grenadine tie at my wedding. there's a styleforum story about it somewhere, lol.

11169242_10102552896337326_920628714310979966_n.jpeg

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
here's a bunch of other random suitsupply blazers. i love the fit, only wish the button stance was a little lower, but for a cheap blazer that fits well with zero alterations, who cares?

IMG_0373.jpeg

brown havana

IMG_0464.jpeg

navy slub havana

IMG_0472.jpeg

wool/cashmere hudson (RIP the hudson). need to get the sleeves let down.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Washington looks great, @BlairW.

As for the wedding, I would suggest going for a navy microdot, like this:

navy-mens-tie-with-light-blue-micro-dots-p-22066.jpg

Grenadine is nice but I think something with a bit more visual interest would be better. It's a classic, conservative option, perfect with a grey suit. I wore one for my wedding.

As for shoes, I would advise against mid brown with a dark grey suit. The contrast is too stark; it will draw attention to your feet and away from your face. Dark brown or black is the way to go.

NYCAssociate

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking to pick up my first suit from SuitSupply in Manhattan this week. However, I've never really been properly fitted for a suit so I'm not exactly sure how to tell when the fit is just right (I'll be taking it to get tailored, of course), nor do I really have someone I trust to come along with me. Will the sales associates take care of me alright, or is that risky? Is there something else I should do?

pmestrad

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking to pick up my first suit from SuitSupply in Manhattan this week. However, I've never really been properly fitted for a suit so I'm not exactly sure how to tell when the fit is just right (I'll be taking it to get tailored, of course), nor do I really have someone I trust to come along with me. Will the sales associates take care of me alright, or is that risky? Is there something else I should do?

I would be careful. The sales associates I have encountered at SS have tried to get me into very tight fitting suits. The crotch wears out fairly quickly in my SS suits given they are too tight. If you have any size to your thighs be careful and make sure you are comfortable and can move comfortably in the garment.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great question! Have a clear idea of how you want to look before you go, and don’t let a salesperson change your mind. You should read up on how classic menswear should fit—a conservative fit will stay in style much longer than a tight, trendy fit. The guys modeling suits on the SuSu site look very cool, but would look silly walking down the street in something so close fitting.

Maybe @Michael81 has some words of advice here.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're not careful you will get Suitsupplied. Their default aesthetic is short jackets and tight trousers. That's not really a look that's going to stand the test of time, so you need to know what you want before you go.

The key thing to understand is that a suit should not fit like regular clothes. Jackets and trousers should drape elegantly over the wearer.

These are the main things to look out for: if the jacket constrains movement around the buttoning point it is too tight. If the bottom of the jacket does not cover your butt it is too short. If the bottom of your jacket does not reach the second joint of your thumb it is (in most, but not all cases) too short. If you feel tightness in the thighs or catch your knees when sitting, the trousers are too tight.

Finally, the sales guy will ask you if you want to taper your trousers. Do not taper the trousers. For most guys the default leg opening will provide the most harmonious ratio between thigh and ankle.

As far as fits go, I can highly recommend the new notch lapel Washingtons. The trousers have a higher rise and the jacket is longer, which are highly desirable features. Plus, in my opinion anyway, it has the most attractive silhouette.

If none of this makes sense to you, you can always go through the HOF thread and see what kind of fits get lots of likes, and what kind of fits don't. Go with God.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing: You need to be honest about your body. If you are carrying some extra weight, get a larger size. You should also think about proportions: How long are your arms? How long is your torso? How big are your thighs? These are all things that can can potentially throw off proportions and make getting a properly fitted suit more of a challenge.

japejapejape

Reaction score
the SA’s at susu Houston don’t try to push that super slim fit at all in my experience.
In fact, It was the opposite. A couple times I thought I needed my jacket brought in a little and they advised me otherwise.

Must be a regional thing cause they seem to know the customers well at my store

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads