• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some good avice in recent posts. I would add - check your shoulder fit first and don’t buy a jacket with ‘divots’ (dents) in the upper sleeve head or ripples at the neck as this is a sign of a poor fit which is very hard and thus expensive to fix. Ditto for ripples on the back of your upper arms indicating poor sleeve pitch, requiring the sleeve to be removed and rotated to fix. $$$!
Chest and waist can be nipped fairly easily and cheaply if necessary. Sleeve length will be more tricky as SS suits have surgeons’ cuffs which allow much less leeway for lengthening or shortening without doing so from the shoulder - again costly.
Go to the fitting wearing the kind of dress shirt, belt and shoes you’d be likely to wear with your intended purchase so you can see how the different items work together.
Look at how your SA is dressed. If he’s one of those ridiculous twits in what seems to be the SS default dress code of half mast strides and no socks - run away!

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking to pick up my first suit from SuitSupply in Manhattan this week. However, I've never really been properly fitted for a suit so I'm not exactly sure how to tell when the fit is just right (I'll be taking it to get tailored, of course), nor do I really have someone I trust to come along with me. Will the sales associates take care of me alright, or is that risky? Is there something else I should do?
Watch this video for some good perspective on shopping there:

SS 376

Reaction score
Watch this video for some good perspective on shopping there:

Good video. He went in a different direction than I was expecting. I have not had a bad showroom experience (which he listed as a major downside), though I have had tailors question why I don't want a narrow pant leg. Fit (which he said is a plus) is a bit of a struggle, more due to inconsistency than anything. And I can't fathom paying for $200-300 in alterations like he mentioned. Has that been others' experience??

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good video. He went in a different direction than I was expecting. I have not had a bad showroom experience (which he listed as a major downside), though I have had tailors question why I don't want a narrow pant leg. Fit (which he said is a plus) is a bit of a struggle, more due to inconsistency than anything. And I can't fathom paying for $200-300 in alterations like he mentioned. Has that been others' experience??

Before I moved away from Suitsupply in favor of MTM, I was paying about $175 in alterations:
-Extending Sleeves
-Waist Suppression
-Taking Waist in the Trousers
-Tapering Pant Legs
-Pant Leg Length

And this was back when the majority of their Suits were $399-$499. Considering suit, alterations, sales tax, and alteration lead times (Chicago was typically 2 weeks)...I was pretty much paying for a MTM experience anyway.

I do still think they are tremendous value if their RTW fits you well. But anything more than 1-2 minor alterations is pushing it. Washington is still my favor cut.

NYCAssociate

Reaction score
Should I just have alterations made at SS when I buy the suit, or is it better to use a separate tailor?

Also, I don't know if this complicates things for me at SS, but I'm definitely looking for a classic fit, and OTR stuff doesn't fit me perfectly (6' with narrow shoulders).

papado

Reaction score
Should I just have alterations made at SS when I buy the suit, or is it better to use a separate tailor?

Also, I don't know if this complicates things for me at SS, but I'm definitely looking for a classic fit, and OTR stuff doesn't fit me perfectly (6' with narrow shoulders).

SS tailoring charges are a little cheaper than outside tailors (at least in my experience in NYC) but if you plan on having a tailored clothing wardrobe it's good to develop a relationship with a good tailor for all your garment needs.

SS may work for you but we'd need some more measurements or fit guidance--if you know what to look for you can get a suit that isn't super slim but if you're new to the game you'll likely be steered into a short/tight fit by most sales folks at SS

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I have had nothing but good experiences at SuitSupply. What's nice is once you nail your sizing down, it's really easy to find suits and jackets very cheaply on eBay or in the twice yearly outlet sales -- of the 1 suit and 6 jackets I own, I only bought one at full retail, and most for less than $125. I've also had good experiences with their in store alterations, including quick turnarounds. As long as you're clear about what you want they won't try to fit you into a too skinny suit, or slim your suit too much.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does SS have a summer online outlet soon or is that only once a year in the winter?

caschta

Reaction score

Try the Washington. I'm 6,1" (75Kg) and it's by far the best OTR fit for me, even with a regular size. Just need to hem the pants.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'2, 77 kgs. Can also vouch for the Washington, but it is very slim. I've sized up from 38L to 40L with good results, but that did require a fair amount of tailoring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads