• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

francoamerican

Reaction score
T
Just received it. It isn't as shiny as I suspected, but it is still too shiny for me. I will return it for something more versatile.

Thanks! - had ordered the darker brown linen havana and I really like it. First linen piece so i'll have to get at jiffy travel steamer i think.

francoamerican

Reaction score

This one? http://eu.suitsupply.com/de/jackets/havana-braun-unifarben/C823.html

How versatile would you think this is for a casual combination with chinos or denim?

Does it wrinkle a lot?

Absolutely perfect for that. I bought it for summer chinos. The front stays crisp. The arms wrinkle in a charming way. Only thing I don't love is the back wrinkling. I am going to get a steamer to try and sort that out between wears. I haven't 100% decided to keep.

NewYawker

Reaction score
Don't steam your suits. You'll ruin them.

+1

Last year my dry cleaner pressed my Washington 3-roll-2 lapel, and I tried to steam it out to give it back the roll.

It worked, but the suit looked odd in chest area, NEVER AGAIN (To both the dry cleaner, and steaming my suits).

What do you do with your suits then? I usually get my suits dry cleaned once per year and have them pressed otherwise. I purchased a few 3 roll 2 suits and jackets this year so im curious what you guys would recommend?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
If you have someone good, getting them pressed occasionally is fine, otherwise try to just hang and brush. Steam wont kill the suit so long as you stay away from the front and the collar, but isnt a great idea. Also, if there has been any hand iron work doen by your tailor for bespoke items, you can screw it up.

Banker94

Reaction score

Got the York plain blue. What do you guys think about the fit? My major concern is that I'm sort of in my bulking phase right now (in terms of working out), and that I will lose a lot of weight (mostly on my belly and thighs) after I cut down. Currently 210lb, will probably be ~175lb after cutting.

MrTopCat

Reaction score

Got the York plain blue. What do you guys think about the fit? My major concern is that I'm sort of in my bulking phase right now (in terms of working out), and that I will lose a lot of weight (mostly on my belly and thighs) after I cut down. Currently 210lb, will probably be ~175lb after cutting.

Ideally you should buy suits once you're happy with your body, but I'm guessing you'll need it sooner than that.

The only thing I see glaringly wrong with this suit is that the jacket length is far too short, especially considering the York fit is meant to be conservative/traditional.

Shoulders look great, as does waist supression, trouser tapering, sleeves.

But remember some of these things may change once you're done cutting weight.

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I have gone through bulk/ lean phases and can assure you that there is nothing that will fit you correctly at both 210 and 175. I went from 160 to 185 to lean 170 and at each weight I would have required different tailoring to achieve a fit I would have been pleased with. I am glad I went through the process and am pleased with the results, but I would never buy clothing for a weight I will be. You just never know where the weight will come from and how it will change fit. At least thats my experience, ymmv.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you do with your suits then?  I usually get my suits dry cleaned once per year and have them pressed otherwise.  I purchased a few 3 roll 2 suits and jackets this year so im curious what you guys would recommend?

Thanks - i had figured if I only steamed the back I'd be OK? No?

Pressing yourself is not that difficult. A spray bottle and a brush is a necessity. I usually travel with a 3oz spray bottle and a garment brush … it does wonders.

I highly recommend this book …
http://www.amazon.com/Butlers-Guide-Running-Other-Graces/dp/0385344708

It has more information about garment care than you'll ever need.

http://hangerproject.tumblr.com/post/79477950001/for-throwback-thursday-the-butlers-guide-to

http://hangerproject.tumblr.com/post/88583682284/if-you-dont-have-a-hanging-suitcase-this-quick

Cheers!

Last edited:

NewYawker

Reaction score
Quote:

If you have someone good, getting them pressed occasionally is fine, otherwise try to just hang and brush. Steam wont kill the suit so long as you stay away from the front and the collar, but isnt a great idea. Also, if there has been any hand iron work doen by your tailor for bespoke items, you can screw it up.

Thanks b!
Pressing yourself is not that difficult. A spray bottle and a brush is a necessity. I usually travel with a 3oz spray bottle and a garment brush … it does wonders.

I highly recommend this book …
http://www.amazon.com/Butlers-Guide-Running-Other-Graces/dp/0385344708

It has more information about garment care than you'll ever need.

http://hangerproject.tumblr.com/post/79477950001/for-throwback-thursday-the-butlers-guide-to

http://hangerproject.tumblr.com/post/88583682284/if-you-dont-have-a-hanging-suitcase-this-quick

Cheers!
Thanks mac! I will look into it. I have no aversion to doing these things myself, just never had the experience. I have honestly been holding some jackets at home because I don't want the lapels coming back flattened. Cheers!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads