• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might try to beat you to it!
devil.gif
May the best man win ;) There's prob enough room for two brands though, it's such a big market.

Last edited:

randymac88

Reaction score
First, you need to get a navy blazer. If you don't need suits, maybe get two, one standard issue and one with a slightly different look, like the patch pocket version that SS sells.

I would think a charcoal blazer is hard to wear. Does it look like an orphaned suit coat?

As for these two you posted, I would say that you'll get more play out of the grey one. If the first is as shiny as it appears on the website, I would say it is not "formal side of casual" in my book.

In case anyone is interested, I ended up going with the blue plain jacket of the two I listed (http://us.suitsupply.com/jackets/jacket-blue-plain-havana-c519/C519,en_US,pd.html?vpid=C51904). Tried them both on and while the grey jacket was considerably lighter (http://us.suitsupply.com/jackets/jacket-grey-plain-havana-c561/C561,en_US,pd.html?vpid=C56104), the fit was way off despite technically being the same size. It was a lot wider in the gut - the salesperson attributed that to the fact that it's a four-season suit and is designed to drape a bit looser, but that sounds a little strange.

Fitting issues aside, the fabric on that blue jacket is awesome - definitely a Fall/Winter fabric, but it is super soft while still feeling relatively light weight. It's also a birds-eye weave which I hadn't realized from the pics, but will make it more versatile than I had thought. I'm really psyched for it.

I also tried on the white version that another had recommended (http://us.suitsupply.com/jackets/jacket-light-grey-plain-havana-c702/C702,en_US,pd.html?start=7&cgid=Jackets&pmin=1&prefn1=fit&prefv1=Havana), and it was just too chunky/heavy for my taste.

destiny7

Reaction score
Suit from SS, they are well fitted , own 2 pair, def a buy! - Tie from Tie Bar.

Last edited:

terty

Reaction score
Went to the tailor with both the 44 and 46 Napoli's and essentially he said that the shoulder on the 44 fit perfectly, however the waist was too small. The 46 however is too large and would need probably around $200 worth of tailoring.

I just want to ask, is it possible to increase the width of the waste a few cm's. My tailor said it wasn't possible, but i'm pretty sure it is possible. Anyone know?

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the tailor with both the 44 and 46 Napoli's and essentially he said that the shoulder on the 44 fit perfectly, however the waist was too small. The 46 however is too large and would need probably around $200 worth of tailoring.

I just want to ask, is it possible to increase the width of the waste a few cm's. My tailor said it wasn't possible, but i'm pretty sure it is possible. Anyone know?

Depends on how much fabric is available. You can feel along the seam to see how much extra fabric there is.

Poncho1992

Reaction score
Just bought a Sienna suit from SuitSupply, feedback on it would be great. First real suit for me. Had a few alterations done and this is the result. They said come back in if I want anything changing as I didn't get to try it on in the shop once the alterations had been made (had a train to catch). Suggestions please? Overall rating? (first attempt at attaching pictures so sorry if they are too big or small (or don't appear at all..)

Please let me know if I need to take more pictures as that isn't a problem. Thanks in advance! (Also made this post in the fit feedback thread but thought it was relevant here too)

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Sorry man, not great. Sleeves & trouser legs both twisted to hell & back, narrow leg opening doesn't look good on suits if it comes with fabric stacking/large break, back of jacket has multiple creases where there shouldn't be creases, waist is probably oversuppressed a bit... I could go on... Now, some of the issues may not be as bad as they appear if you're not standing in your normal posture for the snaps. But I rather think you're not far off your natural posture, and if so, part of the issue you're going to face with any tailored clothes is that you probably have one which is a ***** to fit cleanly in RTW (I actually have the same problem myself; try the Napoli model instead and see whether it looks better; I found it more flattering).

Console yourself with a couple of facts, however:

1) despite the many issues, it's not significantly worse than most people's suits. And probably better than most people's first suits.
2) you now have a good example from which to learn how to spot fit problems before buying.

Finally, to pre-empt the obvious rejoinders: a) no, it's not SS' fault it fits like that; it's a mismatch between your build/posture & the cut of the jacket; try on some of their other models instead (though it should be said that a good salesman could/should have made that suggestion too); b) no, it's probably not worth doing extensive further alterations because several of the issues can't be fixed cost-effectively (but if you insist, the simple/cheap fixes are trouser length, collar roll, perhaps re-looking at whether letting the waist out a bit will disguise some of the other things).

(unrelated to the suit, ties look best if the tip reaches in the waistband of your trousers).

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Sorry man, not great. Sleeves & trouser legs both twisted to hell & back, narrow leg opening doesn't look good on suits if it comes with fabric stacking/large break, back of jacket has multiple creases where there shouldn't be creases, waist is probably oversuppressed a bit... I could go on... Now, some of the issues may not be as bad as they appear if you're not standing in your normal posture for the snaps. But I rather think you're not far off your natural posture, and if so, part of the issue you're going to face with any tailored clothes is that you probably have one which is a ***** to fit cleanly in RTW (I actually have the same problem myself; try the Napoli model instead and see whether it looks better; I found it more flattering).

Console yourself with a couple of facts, however:

1) despite the many issues, it's not significantly worse than most people's suits. And probably better than most people's first suits.
2) you now have a good example from which to learn how to spot fit problems before buying.

Finally, to pre-empt the obvious rejoinders: a) no, it's not SS' fault it fits like that; it's a mismatch between your build/posture & the cut of the jacket; try on some of their other models instead (though it should be said that a good salesman could/should have made that suggestion too); b) no, it's probably not worth doing extensive further alterations because several of the issues can't be fixed cost-effectively (but if you insist, the simple/cheap fixes are trouser length, collar roll, perhaps re-looking at whether letting the waist out a bit will disguise some of the other things).

(unrelated to the suit, ties look best if the tip reaches in the waistband of your trousers).

It makes me wonder whether they altered the trousers? I have a Sienna as well, and the trousers are on the wider side, definitely not as slim as they are here. I agree with HF on everything, it seems like the Sienna is just not the right cut for you. You also stand with your stomach forward, creating an arched back, which will make it really hard for any suitsupply suit to fit you well.

On a side note, it seems like a lot of suits are not on the website anymore. I was especially looking forward to the striped, navy DB vest Lazio, but it seems to have disappeared. Anyone know what's up with that?

Poncho1992

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I've just put tried the jacket and it looks quite different in the sleeves.. I'll put more pictures up later to show what I mean. There's a chance that the creasing was a result of sitting in the bag for hours on the coach..

Rum Runner

Reaction score
Does any one else find it bizarre that the 36s Washington fit suit features 35 inch trousers, per their website fit guide; a ONE INCH DROP??? Has anyone purchased a 36s Washington fit? Is this accurate?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads