• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

archipel

Reaction score
I asked the sales rep the same question, but then about stock that's returned from the outlet. He said that some were current stock and thus were sold again in store/on site, some went to the physical outlet and some were held untill the next outlet.

gzheydey

Reaction score
I asked the sales rep the same question, but then about stock that's returned from the outlet. He said that some were current stock and thus were sold again in store/on site, some went to the physical outlet and some were held untill the next outlet.

Better than Burberry, who just burned the unsold one year.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This waistcoat for $50 from the outlet is killer. It looks really good with this blue flannel suit from the 2018 summer outlet.
88B2124A-3BF5-425E-A534-881F3A9288A0.jpeg

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with getting the actual length of a jacket shortened? I ordered 38Rs and am 5"8. The Short suit selection wasn't nearly as vast in the outlet. I can probably live with the length as is but would prefer at least an inch or so removed.
Googled cost estimates but curious if anyone here can elaborate on personal experience and if the job is relatively easy or ever had a tailor botch it.

First order came in, and received shipping confirm on the other two. The first was a dark grey Lazio and a pink herringbone Havana. Fits fairly well otr, though will need to have the sleeves shortened a bit.

Last edited:

EthansAlley

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with getting the actual length of a jacket shortened? I ordered 38Rs and am 5"8. The Short suit selection wasn't nearly as vast in the outlet. I can probably live with the length as is but would prefer at least an inch or so removed.
Googled cost estimates but curious if anyone hear can elaborate on personal experience and if the job is relatively easy or ever had a tailor botch it.

First order came in, and received shipping confirm on the other two. The first was a dark grey Lazio and a pink herringbone Havana. Fits fairly well otr, though will need to have the sleeves shortened a bit.

@OptimalViewing Yes, I have experience with shortening the length of a jacket (3 total), and it’s one of the worst, more regrettable tailoring decisions I’ve ever made. Although the tailors did a good job, the whole balance of the jacket was thrown off. On my jacket with patch pockets, the balance was thrown off because there was not much material below the bottom of the patch pockets. In the jacket with flap pockets, the button stance of the jacket ended up very awkward. All 3 jackets looked as if they were chopped off at the bottom and needed more length. See below photos for 2 of the jackets. The first is an Isaia suit jacket, the second is a SuSu jacket before and after. I would recommend against shortening the jacket length.

1607962794487.jpeg

1607962823669.jpeg

1607962844562.jpeg

Last edited:

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not shorten! If you don't like it, sell it or return it (but as you are 5"8 and not 173cm, I guess you are American and cannot return outlet items). The pictures above should scare anyone from shortening jackets. Looks absolutely hideous and proportions are, well not there ;)

Stylewords

Reaction score
Googled cost estimates but curious if anyone hear can elaborate on personal experience and if the job is relatively easy or ever had a tailor botch it.

Ok, I'll offer a different opinion. I've had 3 jackets shortened by 1 inch by a competent tailor and the result was pretty good (2 very good, one good but borderline). I much prefer the jackets now. Obviously you can't shorten it by much and if it has patch pockets you need to be very careful as the above photo shows.

compuccesory

Reaction score

It is vastly preferable to have a jacket slightly too long than to try and shorten it.

MisterBB

Reaction score
I've received my last suit order today. I didn't realize the trousers were drawstring.

I think the causal look will work well but it will definitely be a first for me

Last edited:

ultramantaro

Reaction score
@OptimalViewing Yes, I have experience with shortening the length of a jacket (3 total), and it’s one of the worst, more regrettable tailoring decisions I’ve ever made. Although the tailors did a good job, the whole balance of the jacket was thrown off. On my jacket with patch pockets, the balance was thrown off because there was not much material below the bottom of the patch pockets. In the jacket with flap pockets, the button stance of the jacket ended up very awkward. All 3 jackets looked as if they were chopped off at the bottom and needed more length. See below photos for 2 of the jackets. The first is an Isaia suit jacket, the second is a SuSu jacket before and after. I would recommend against shortening the jacket length.

I will offer a different opinion. I am 5 9 and I prefer the length of the S length because I want to avoid looking short from far away. I think it also depends on your physique. The key is the tail of the jacket should cover most of your seat. I know the S length for me covers about 3/4, not full. The problem is once it covers my full seat than I look like I am a midget in the mirror. Unless you really want the midget look, I will go through that as a rule of thumb but it all depends on proportionality. That is, if you have a long torso you may want to go with a R to avoid wearing a "women's" jacket.

With that said, shortening jackts are at least 40 bucks based on where I am at (San Francisco area). Tailors in your area may charge less.

Stylewords

Reaction score
I am 5 9 and I prefer the length of the S length because I want to avoid looking short from far away. .........but it all depends on proportionality. That is, if you have a long torso you may want to go with a R to avoid wearing a "women's" jacket.
I see the first part written a lot but I've never understood it. Why would a proportionally correct jacket make you look shorter? And with the second part, surely it's the opposite. If you have a long torso and have the jacket at "proper" length, i.e., covering your seat, your legs will look proportionately short.

osw880

Reaction score
The first 2 orders of the 3 came in today. The jackets for my wife are absolutely beautiful. More importantly she's incredibly pleased and happy with them. The trousers are from my first order on the first day. Still waiting for my second pair of trousers.

Jacket 1: "Lavender" according to the tag but a beautiful powder blue E. Thomas Wool
View attachment 1514300

Jacket 2: Blue/Gray/Black Linen Blend
View attachment 1514302

My Trousers (arrived a week ago just never snapped a pic): 100% Wool VBC Houndstooth
View attachment 1514305
Do you mind sharing some more photos of your trousers? ?

zewill

Reaction score
I've received my last suit order today. I didn't realize the trousers were drawstring.

I think the causal look will work well but it will definitely be a first for me

See those advertised on their website all the time. Was in store recently for Alteration and was drawn ( no pun) by them. They look fun and something I would wear at home... However it's dry clean only so loses the charm of homewear stuff you can just wear and wash whenever a spill happens. Photo and price you paid for it? 209$cad in store... For that price id rather buy regular formal trousers!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharpro78