• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Question: how are SS shirts? I know this might been addressed before but searching would take me some time. I saw onw with green stripes that I liked and since Luxire has added a $25 shipping cost to their shirts, that put SS at the same range. I checked the measurements on the site ad looks like the sleeves - which is always a problem in other brands, are way short - will fit me nice.

jimanchower

Reaction score

Question: how are SS shirts? I know this might been addressed before but searching would take me some time. I saw onw with green stripes that I liked and since Luxire has added a $25 shipping cost to their shirts, that put SS at the same range. I checked the measurements on the site ad looks like the sleeves - which is always a problem in other brands, are way short - will fit me nice. 

I own two, a white cotton twill dress shirt and a casual shirt and I like them quite a bit. In fact, I've been meaning to send the second one off to Luxire to have them copy the fit. Sleeve length is perfect for me in the 15.75" neck size. I typically wear a 15.5-16 neck and a 34" sleeve. I haven't tried their extra slim fit because the slim fit is actually slim, compared to what you'd get from Brooks Brothers or similar.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Funny, I never thought of that. The trousers in the Lazio 36R and the Napoli 34R both fit me well in the waist without any tailoring. The Havana is just a sportcoat, so no trousers there. I have the advantage of two SS stores here in NYC, so I don't have the online-ordering anxiety that besets so many in this thread. I just try on a bunch of stuff and buy what fits the best.

from what I see on the website, the Napoli 34R has a 30.7" pant waist, and the Lazio 36R has a 32.3". Both fit without letting out or taking in?

Last edited:

throw4five

Reaction score
Received the washington plain blue today. I knew it was gonna need alot of tailoring before I bought it: at the store, the 38S seemed to fit me throughout most of my body a bit better, but in the washington, I could barely move my arms without feeling I was gonna split the jacket in half. So I went with the 40S to fit through the shoulders and chest. The sales rep at the store said the pants would need tapered, hemmed, and waist tightened. I believe he said the jacket would need the sleeves shortened, waist suppressed, possibly jacket length shortened, I forget what all he said to be honest.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the suit; I'd appreciate as much feedback as I could get regarding what needs tailored, as well as any other general feedback that seems relevant. I have pretty thick skin so feel free to be as critical as you want to be. Gentleman, help!

coldsalmon

Reaction score

from what I see on the website, the Napoli 34R has a 30.7" pant waist, and the Lazio 36R has a 32.3". Both fit without letting out or taking in?

I just compared these two trousers. The Napoli 34 is only slightly smaller than the Lazio 36. It does not seem to be a 1.6" difference. I feel that I could wear both comfortably without a belt. The Lazio is linen while the Napoli is wool, if that makes a difference. Many people complain about the skinny legs on the Napoli, but that is not a problem for me. If you have thick legs, it may be a problem for you if you size down.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Received the washington plain blue today. I knew it was gonna need alot of tailoring before I bought it: at the store, the 38S seemed to fit me throughout most of my body a bit better, but in the washington, I could barely move my arms without feeling I was gonna split the jacket in half. So I went with the 40S to fit through the shoulders and chest. The sales rep at the store said the pants would need tapered, hemmed, and waist tightened. I believe he said the jacket would need the sleeves shortened, waist suppressed, possibly jacket length shortened, I forget what all he said to be honest. Anyway, here are some pictures of the suit; I'd appreciate as much feedback as I could get regarding what needs tailored, as well as any other general feedback that seems relevant. I have pretty thick skin so feel free to be as critical as you want to be. Gentleman, help!
I'm not sure this is the cut for you. Looks big to me all over. If the 38 is too tight, perhaps you need a cut like the Napoli in a 38. Did you choose the Washington for the lapels? Why does everyone pose with their arms up?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure this is the cut for you. Looks big to me all over. If the 38 is too tight, perhaps you need a cut like the Napoli in a 38. Did you choose the Washington for the lapels?

Why does everyone pose with their arms up?

The shoulders look fine though imo.

throw4five

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the cut for you. Looks big to me all over. If the 38 is too tight, perhaps you need a cut like the Napoli in a 38. Did you choose the Washington for the lapels?

Why does everyone pose with their arms up?
No lie, I posed with my arms up because I've seen others on HERE pose with their arms up haha! (I can post pics with different angles if necessary) I thought it was some secret sartorial sizing up technique.

Anyway, went with the Washington for a number of reasons (roughly in order of importance):
+ slimmest fitting (I am athletically built, I want to continue to look athletic in nice clothing),
+ liked the navy color (SS doesn't offer many plain navy at the moment it seems),
+ GF liked the peak lapels and initially I was indifferent, however after reading up on the difference, it seems like maybe the peak lapels are better for my broad shoulders instead of the slim notches on the other SS models,
+ I liked the ticket pocket.

I'm not totally opposed to getting a different model, although I've had my heart set on the Washington for awhile now. I didn't try on a Napoli, the salesman thought I'd fit a Lazio based on my build; when I tried a Lazio on at the store, the sales rep said he wouldn't need to do too many alterations, but fore mostly, I want a trendy, fitted navy suit...Lazio only offers 1 plain blue, and I don't like the look of the fabric (doesn't look solid). Mainly it was the fact that Washington is the slimmest fitting, I figured if it fit the shoulders, EVERYTHING else could be tapered.

With that said, do you think it's TOO big to be tailored properly, or do you think it's big and needs tailored? What would you do?

Last edited:

throw4five

Reaction score
If it helps, below is the list of tailoring that SS offers, I'm still debating whether I should take it to the store to get tailored or have it done locally:

PANTS

• Shorten/lengthen $13
  • Take in/let out seat $10
  • Take in/let out waistband $14
  • Take in waist over 3 seams $28
  • Tapering upper-leg $22
  • Tapering lower-leg $17
  • Lower waistband $75
JACKET

• Take in/let out seams $28
  • Take in centre back seam $16
  • Shorten $40
  • Shorten/lengthen sleeves $28
  • Shorten sleeves from shoulder $75
  • Enlarge armholes $16
  • Narrowing collar $38
  • Square back neck $20
  • Narrowing shoulders $75
  • Add shoulder pad $20

Oldbro

Reaction score
No lie, I posed with my arms up because I've seen everybody else on HERE pose with their arms up! I thought it was some secret sartorial sizing up technique, haha. Anyway, went with the washington for a number of reasons (roughly in order of importance): slimmest fitting (I am very athletically built, want to continue to look athletic in nice clothing), liked the navy color (SS doesn't offer many plain navy at the moment it seems), GF liked the peak lapels (I was indifferent peak vs notch), I liked the ticket pocket.

When I tried a lazio on at the store, the sales rep said he wouldn't need to do many alterations, but fore-mostly, I want a navy suit...lazio only offers 1 plain blue lazio, and I don't like the look of it. Mainly it was the slimmest fitting aspect, I figured if it fit the shoulders, EVERYTHING else could be tapered.

With that said, do you think it'sTOO big, or do you think it's big and needs tailored? What would you do?
Honestly, do you see your suit as being slim? What is the point of buying a slim jacket too big (and thus not slim at all) and making it slim with alterations? In my opinion, you should return it because you want a slim fitting suit and judging by the pictures the fit is very poor. You should definitely try another cut.

throw4five

Reaction score
Honestly, do you see your suit as being slim? What is the point of buying a slim jacket too big (and thus not slim at all) and making it slim with alterations? In my opinion, you should return it because you want a slim fitting suit and judging by the pictures the fit is very poor. You should definitely try another cut.
I get what you're saying, and no the suit as it is now isn't slim. It would be slim on someone who was more closely proportioned to SS's OTR cut. However, I had to get it this size for my shoulders and chest. My thought was (perhaps foolishly) that since it is designed to be a slim fit suit, once tailored it would look like a slim fit suit. I've read stories where guys try to take a traditionally-cut suit and make it a "slim fit" and end up with garbage since it was never intended to be a slim-fit in the first place. Is this way off base or accurate?

I always have to get my dress shirts taken in through the waist due to my neck, chest, and shoulders needing a much larger size, and my tailor told me it's important to start out with a slim cut shirt otherwise it would never work.

I guess I figured a very slim fitting Washington would need less material removed than a traditional cut that fit my shoulders and chest.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Received the washington plain blue today. I knew it was gonna need alot of tailoring before I bought it: at the store, the 38S seemed to fit me throughout most of my body a bit better, but in the washington, I could barely move my arms without feeling I was gonna split the jacket in half. So I went with the 40S to fit through the shoulders and chest. The sales rep at the store said the pants would need tapered, hemmed, and waist tightened. I believe he said the jacket would need the sleeves shortened, waist suppressed, possibly jacket length shortened, I forget what all he said to be honest. Anyway, here are some pictures of the suit; I'd appreciate as much feedback as I could get regarding what needs tailored, as well as any other general feedback that seems relevant. I have pretty thick skin so feel free to be as critical as you want to be. Gentleman, help!
Unfortunately, this suit is too large for you. To make it work, too many alterations would need to be attempted. I doubt if the result would be pleasing. Try a different model. Or, try a non-SS make.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads