Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. sliq

sliq Senior member

2. thatitalian

thatitalian Well-Known Member

Here is a shot of Friday's attire.

Jacket and trousers from SS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. husbands

husbands Senior member

I have three suitsupply suits - 2 siennas and 1 london

really love the sienna fit - need to get the london jacket shortened though

4. Glifberg

Glifberg Member

Silly question but, do Suitsupply offer black suits (the occasion calls for it) on site? Could not find any on their website.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014

5. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

Yes, I wear a 34r in Napoli and a 36r in the Lazio and Havana.

6. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

New Suit Supply store in Montreal announced for Fall/Winter 2014! Yeah!

7. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

Anyone know if you can get your local store to order in something featured on a foreign website? There are items on the UK site I want but they aren't available for shipping to Canada :brick:

8. FLW

FLW Senior member

Generally not, aside from tuxes. This is a fact that salesmen in Denver have twice gone out of their way to tell me (supposedly as evidence of how non-traditional they are)

9. throw4five

throw4five Member

I purchased a Washington Plain Blue http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/washington-blue-plain/P3484I.html and it will be arriving tomorrow. When I tried it on at the store, the salesman said he would need to do alot of alterations (he wanted me in a 38S but due to the washington's high arm holes, I needed a 40S to be able to move my arms around...I wear a 40S in everything, so I was a little surprised that he recommended a 38 in the first place...my tailor says my ideal fit would be a 41S due to my lats and chest). My question is in regards to tailoring: Should I take the suit back to SS to get tailored since they know the style the suit is meant to be worn in? Or should I take it to my local tailor and have him do it?

My local tailor is an older gentleman and has an older client base; as such, I'm unsure if he will be able to capture the fashion-forward style of SS. Would another option be to post pics of the suit to the ask-a-tailor thread, get their specific advise, and go to my tailor with a ready-made list of adjustments? Going to SS seams like the most direct way to get it fitted properly, but I don't live very close to the nearest store, so that would be a factor. Maybe you guys don't think very highly of the SS tailors?

I'm fairly new to all this so any and all advice is welcome.

10. lexmann

lexmann Senior member

What about Vancouver???:censored:

11. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

My first experience with SS was in Chicago where I purchased a Washington and a Havana. I was nervous and apprehensive about the way measurements for alterations were to be done. The very helpful sales rep typed in all the measurements and required tailoring on his computer. I saw the lady with the sewing machine in the store who would do the actual work. When the suits arrived in the mail, I was relieved to find that the fits of the suits were spot on. I don't require drastic alterations to OTR sutis., but I was nervous. I lucked out.

Having said all that, I would prefer to go to a local tailor--someone who will see the suit on me and will be do the actual work. If your current tailor is not up to task, there must be someone with in reasonable distance who can do the work.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Was this intended for me? :)

If yes, yes it is the purple one. But it's very subtle, I like how it looks.

13. Dispence

Dispence New Member

Yeah Betelguese! That was for you... Thanks for the reply!

14. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

How do you get the pants to work? There is about 2 inches difference in the waist sizes between these right?

15. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

Funny, I never thought of that. The trousers in the Lazio 36R and the Napoli 34R both fit me well in the waist without any tailoring. The Havana is just a sportcoat, so no trousers there. I have the advantage of two SS stores here in NYC, so I don't have the online-ordering anxiety that besets so many in this thread. I just try on a bunch of stuff and buy what fits the best.