1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Posterity demands a requote of one of the very few times the word is used in a technically accurate manner. [​IMG]

Suit looks a lot better than in Monkeyface's pic. I agree that your dad looks great in it!

6 people like this.
  2. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

Really like that suit from those pics. So of course it's not available to ship to Canada :brick:

3. kulata

kulata Senior member

Lmao

4. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

+2

1 person likes this.
  5. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Guys, how do I link to the EU website? It keep redirecting me to the US-based one.

6. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Try changing the "ship to" drop down in the upper right.

7. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Thanks bud!

8. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

I was hoping somebody picked up on that!

Cheers for the love guys. I'm a huge SS plan. Must have half a dozen suits/sports coats and half a dozen ties from them by now. Great quality for the price point.

2 people like this.
  9. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Variety of styles and sizes, that is what they have going on compare to any other manufacturer. One stop shop.
    Price Point? I am not so sure. $600-750 after alterations is not a bargain price for Chinese made suit?
    I constantly see Pal Zileri, Caruso, Adriano and Sons, Lardini etc etc for half the price of SS.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  10. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

If you're spending that much money on tailoring (assuming you are starting with a Napoli or Lazio) then the cut wasn't for you in the first place. I hear ya on the other brands, but you have to troll places like Yoox or Gilt to find them at the lower prices, and have to hope for your size. Am I wrong? What other sites frequently carries these brands?

Curiosity question, would you feel better about the price if it was made in Portugal? How about Croatia?

Here is an up close view of this jacket.

[​IMG]

If anyone orders this one, please post a similar close but not too close picture. thanks

11. timotune

timotune Senior member

12. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

I have actually went to their Soho store and tried various suits. Only Sienna looked good on me, then I priced it and with tax and minor alterations sleeve length, trousers hem it was around 700.
    To your second point , 700 dollar suit made in Europe provides decent standard of living for someone in EU and contains lesser profit margin because of obvious factors like pensions, taxes, health insurance etc, 700 dollar suit from China provides super profit for the owner of the company. His Chinese workers are minimum wage slaves with no pension or health insurance. There is no retirement or health care system in China, that is why their labor is cheap. So yes, it would make me feel better paying 700 for suit made in US or EU.

13. timotune

timotune Senior member

not every EU-country has high working standards, wellfare, healthcare and stuff.
    Especially in Italy & Spain working conditions often are really, really bad (like sweatshop-bad). A lot of Africans come over to Italy and Spain and work for incredibly low wages (not much higher than China).
    This thread is not the right place to discuss those matters, but you better get your facts straight before writing BS here.

14. The Gold Bug

The Gold Bug Well-Known Member

Europe has a certain degree of standards that far surpasses the one of China. This is non negligible. The difference lies in the fact that China has not implemented any type of protective labor legislation whereas Europe has (at least for the most part). The European Treaty clearly states that the EU aims towards harmonising and equalising this specific legislation.

The mere existence of low wages in Europe does not translate to there being a possible means of comparison with China. The instance of africans isn't ideal. I'm assuming you mean those who immigrate illegally? If so, one could say it does support your point but only to the extent that it proves that a black market exists in Europe. But then, their low wages are the correlation of their illegal status, not of Europe itself or of its labor legislation.

The probability of finding a garment produced in Europe with the same working conditions as in China surely exists, but it is certainly very low.

15. RyanAnderson

RyanAnderson Senior member

+1. Just picked up a suit for $470 which, with tax and alterations, ended up being about $525 and a nicer suit than other's I've seen at that price point. It's not exactly fair to be calling these "$700 suits" if you're talking about a $470 suit with $230 of taxes and alterations (which are done in-house).

16. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

I am talking about the only suit that I liked and it is Sienna model . It retails before tax or alterations for $639 with alterations 45-55 dollars and NYC tax it comes to around $740. What is unfair about calling this a $700 Chinese suit ?

17. RyanAnderson

RyanAnderson Senior member

Fair enough, didn't see you meant Sienna.

18. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Does anyone have this jacket? If so is it really brown because it looks dark grey with brown checks(Pics would be great!)?

[​IMG]

19. Jazz3Pickz

Jazz3Pickz Active Member

It is really brown and the fabric is very nice as well. Unfortunately mine is at the tailor's, so I can't post pics yet. Here's a picture though, albeit not a picture of the whole jacket: 60667196668

1 person likes this.
  20. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

thanks....looking forwrad to pics after the tailor. I might be purchasing this next month.

How heavy is the jacket? Is it a true heavy jacket or could you see yourself wearing it year round?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013