• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

St1X

Reaction score
Cavour is a great alternative only if RTW fits you well. Cavour doesn't really focus on MTM even in their physical store, and it tends to be marketed as a service they "can do, if you really want to". The MTM service is not made by the same people who make their RTW-line.

They do MTM through Atelier Munro and Orazio Luciano, however, both are much more expensive than SS, and SS is better quality than AM. OL is more than 5 times as expensive as SuitSupply and obviously involve a lot more handwork. MTM through SS is definitely superior to Atelier Munro, and you get much better value than MTM through Orazio Luciano per dollar/euro spent.

I'm curious to know exactly how Cavour's own RTW-line has better craftsmanship and quality, and remember that they are both made in China and use many of the same Biella fabrics. I think Cavour has better looking cuts on RTW, although very limited; i.e. notch lapels, spalla camicia and patch pockets on nearly all suits and jackets with a few exceptions with flap pockets.
Sorry, I should have clarified that Cavour is an excellent alternative for "nerds" like us here who knows their fit. It's not at all an alternative for regular folks who just buys their first suit - they need to walk in to the store and get fitted.
Cavour's quality is much higher - they have a lot of handwork like all button holes are hand made, double pick stitching is handmade, collar and lining attachments, while Suitsupply's items are completely machine made with the rare exception of handmade Milaneese buttonholes. Also all Cavour's jackets are full canvassed, while Suitsupply barely has any

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, can anyone comment on the quality of the peacoat? It looks really nice, but is this an item that would last me a long time?

0Phoenix0

Reaction score
There is a kind of suitsupply-outlet via Otrium - at least for German customers. 20% additional discount via referral, or 15% using code "Welcome15".

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cavour is a great alternative only if RTW fits you well. Cavour doesn't really focus on MTM even in their physical store, and it tends to be marketed as a service they "can do, if you really want to". The MTM service is not made by the same people who make their RTW-line.

They do MTM through Atelier Munro and Orazio Luciano, however, both are much more expensive than SS, and SS is better quality than AM. OL is more than 5 times as expensive as SuitSupply and obviously involve a lot more handwork. MTM through SS is definitely superior to Atelier Munro, and you get much better value than MTM through Orazio Luciano per dollar/euro spent.

I'm curious to know exactly how Cavour's own RTW-line has better craftsmanship and quality, and remember that they are both made in China and use many of the same Biella fabrics. I think Cavour has better looking cuts on RTW, although very limited; i.e. notch lapels, spalla camicia and patch pockets on nearly all suits and jackets with a few exceptions with flap pockets.

- Lanieri is more expensive with less styling options and fabrics.
- Pini Parma makes such short jackets and skinny mid-waist trousers, and their MTO/MTM is not interactive or very much available online. Both friends and people on SF have complained about their product quality as well.
- Cavour, see above.
- Spier & Mackay is a great option, but with tax it is much more expensive than SuitSupply for many Europeans. In total, some countries will add an additional 36% of VAT+import tax and an additional flat handling fee of about 15-30 euros.
- Honestly looks quite good, but that website gave me a headache after a minute.
Curious why you say AM is lower quality than SS.
Someone told me AM makes SS's MTM offerings.
I only just discovered AM and was impressed by what I saw in the brief time I saw it.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Inverted lapels and natural shoulders made with MTM program. I tried to approximate an English drape cut.
IMG_20230320_204157__02.jpg

A-Lawson

Reaction score
Curious why you say AM is lower quality than SS.
Someone told me AM makes SS's MTM offerings.
I only just discovered AM and was impressed by what I saw in the brief time I saw it.
Atelier Munro was used by SuitSupply several years ago before they moved their MTM production in-house.

There are many stores and exclusively made-to-measure providers in my city that uses Atelier Munro, and based on what I've seen, SuitSupply exceeds AM without question. Atelier Munro doesn't have the quality control that SS does, and the needlework is just not as good (both with and without machine). AM also costs more, plus the agent's surcharge.
Inverted lapels and natural shoulders made with MTM program. I tried to approximate an English drape cut.
View attachment 1923265
Those lapels are quite attractive and a step in the right direction for SS.

I usually see a bit more curve on the quarters with curved notch lapels, but I think it's okay as it is.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Atelier Munro was used by SuitSupply several years ago before they moved their MTM production in-house.

There are many stores and exclusively made-to-measure providers in my city that uses Atelier Munro, and based on what I've seen, SuitSupply exceeds AM without question. Atelier Munro doesn't have the quality control that SS does, and the needlework is just not as good (both with and without machine). AM also costs more, plus the agent's surcharge.

Those lapels are quite attractive and a step in the right direction for SS.

I usually see a bit more curve on the quarters with curved notch lapels, but I think it's okay as it is.
I am honestly a bit underwhelmed of the lapels. Done correctly they can look very nice but the way the lapels taper towards the buttoning look a bit sloppy. It makes me inclined to choose the traditional lapels.

A-Lawson

Reaction score
I am honestly a bit underwhelmed of the lapels. Done correctly they can look very nice but the way the lapels taper towards the buttoning look a bit sloppy. It makes me inclined to choose the traditional lapels.
I have to say that what you are concerned about (if I understood you correctly) is quite common for cuts with curved notch lapels.

Question though, is the lapel roll flat-pressed as it normally comes from the SS factory?
If yes, iron it out the crease like this:
I would go slightly higher up than in the video though, but no more than half way up.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
I have to say that what you are concerned about (if I understood you correctly) is quite common for cuts with curved notch lapels.

Question though, is the lapel roll flat-pressed as it normally comes from the SS factory?
If yes, iron it out the crease like this:
I would go slightly higher up than in the video though, but no more than half way up.

Already returned it 😧 it does look flat-pressed though.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Unfortunate. 😁
Yup 😄 on a side note, my custom made is based on size 52. However, I am transitioning to another weight class and considering basing my custom made on size 54. Would you happen to know if parameters such as slopeness etc are the same on 52 and 54?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics