1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suit brands for slim men: fully canvassed/half canvassed/fused - the definitive list

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lovelux2010, Aug 18, 2010.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you sure it was Calvin Klein Collection (aka his Black Label)? CK has a number of diffusion labels.

I felt every style of suit at the store on Madison Ave. They all had a lot of shoulder padding and just the outter layer of fabric and the lining, or unlined. I didn't find any evidence of fused interfacing based on touch alone. Just thin, single layer of fabric.

2. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Senior member

I felt every style of suit at the store on Madison Ave. They all had a lot of shoulder padding and just the outter layer of fabric and the lining, or unlined. I didn't find any evidence of fused interfacing based on touch alone. Just thin, single layer of fabric.

let me add to the post "madison avenue suits are rubbish". that should be helpful to everyone.

3. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

To clarify on Zegna, the Roma is boxier while the Milano is a very slim fit. The Milano also tends to fit an inch or two shorter (I wear a L in this and an R in Roma, which also requires substantially more tailoring).

4. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Jil Sander is made by Pal Zileri

5. lovelux2010

6. lovelux2010

Are you sure it was Calvin Klein Collection (aka his Black Label)? CK has a number of diffusion labels.

i realize diffusion brands have advantages and bring in a lot of money to brands, but this is a case of the diffusion line hurting and causing confusion about a higher line, and perhaps taking confidence away from potential buyers about construction quality etc

7. harryx2

harryx2 Senior member

Great thread. Some Gucci suits have a very slim fit. High armholes, narrow sleeves.

8. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

Z-Zegna does indeed come in a short. Of note, someone who usually buys a short can sometimes wear a regular in RLBL unless they're going for a runway-short look. In the either half canvased or fused category you can put Etro, very slim, and Theory (these will definitely be fused), some of which mirror Z-Zegna in terms of fits, some of which are a bit slimmer. The full Theory suits may be available as short, but the separates generally aren't. Hope this helps.

9. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Lovelux2010; Thanks for this thread and kudos to you for wading in to this forum with such a low post count.
    I have a great appreciation for quality clothing and great wine and contribute to quite a few wine BB's. After being a lurker on this board for a year and just recently registering, I will have limited posts here due to the fact that damn near every thread I'm interested in contains a ridiculous amount of barbed comments, venom and "I'm sooo much more knowledgable than you and you are a mere piss ant on this board"...quite a shame really but I digress.
    I just wanted to thank you for starting this. I am 5'9 3/4" and about 155#'s. Much prefer to buy OTR and info in this thread is helpful

10. lovelux2010

hi guys..
    thanks a lot for the info, been added to the list. i'll clean up the list as well (put a bit more structure so easier to read) at some point once we gather more info..

11. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Marc Jacobs Collection is half-canvassed (the stuff I own anyway); occasionally unlined in the summer. I have seen a few that were full, but those are probably outliers.

12. hermes man

hermes man Senior member

13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

^^^ shoulda called yourself "Armani Man". I've only heard you mention Hermes once!

14. lovelux2010

marc jacobs added..
    list coming along..slowly..

15. suited

suited Senior member

New armani collezioni are fully canvased (by Zenga I believe).

16. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Not sure if this is high-end enough for the thread, but the Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald is fairly slim fitting and is half-canvassed. Price ranges from $600-$900 depending on the sale.

17. Neb

Neb Well-Known Member

nice thread, helped me learn a bit more about my suits.

I have a Hugo Boss suit that's a half canvassed slim fit (I'm a 38) paid $1400 Canadian (so say $1200US?) for it.

18. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

nice thread, helped me learn a bit more about my suits.

I have a Hugo Boss suit that's a half canvassed slim fit (I'm a 38) paid $1400 Canadian (so say $1200US?) for it.

Are you sure?

19. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Boss Selection is half canvassed i think, and Selection Tailored line is full.

20. lovelux2010

updates added thanks guys