1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

ok, so the Post's coverage of the whole fight/murder thing yesterday is a little :uhoh:

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^

par for the course for The Post.

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

When I worked at the Post I remember walking in each day, reading the headline on the papers in the lobby on my way to the elevator and smh in disbelief/disgust . Sometimes it was just funny. Especially since I know everyone who writes those stories.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Got in a good shoulder slam today to a guy who totally deserved it. A good twenty people were still trying to get out, and he looked like he cut in front another dozen waiting to get in.

1 person likes this.
  5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Seriously. The Post is either hilarious, or borderline offensive. But I mean somebody taking a picture of the guy about to get hit rather than fucking helping him is exactly what is wrong with society. People should be ashamed of themselves. People get hit too often and I think to myself, where the fuck were people?!!? There is no way I wouldn't notice somebody fall onto the tracks and not immediately try to help them. I honestly feel people are sick and secretly want to see somebody get smushed by a train. I mean, that is the only way I can see it.

6. Claghorn

There's probably a bit of that in all of us; the question is to what extent do we allow it to determine the way we interact with the outside world.

Stuff like that is interesting, as horrific as it is. I don't want that to happen to anybody, I don't want to see it happen to somebody, but if I had seen such a thing happen (and I have, but with a bus), a part of me would be fascinated by what just happened and my emotional reaction to it.

I imagine that if there had been fewer people present, the more likely it would have been that someone would've helped (as they would be less likely to simply wait to see if someone else steps in and takes responsibility for being a human being and part of a society)

7. patrickBOOTH

A guy is about to be creamed by a train. Do I get out my phone and snap a picture, or do I try to help? Hmm, my blog could use this...

8. Claghorn

I actually hadn't seen the picture until just now. The photographer claims he was taking pictures while running towards the guy trying to alert the train with the camera flash.

Regardless of the veracity of the claim, that he then sold the picture to the Post is pretty fucked up. And that he will only talk to the media if paid further undermines his character.

I'm surprised how empty the platform is, as well as how easy it would have been to help the poor guy.

On a related note, I don't understand how people enjoy the Saw movies. The opening lines of the Stephen King essay, Why We Crave Horror Movies:
    "I think we're all mentally ill; those of us outside asylums only hide it a little better--and maybe not that much better, after all."

http://drmarkwomack.com/pdfs/horrormovies.pdf

a quick and germane read

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  9. patrickBOOTH

The freelancer is a liar. People take pictures all of the time on subway platforms, you think conductors don't know this? Isn't there a law where you can be put in jail for not helping somebody? You know like the last episode of Seinfeld? Well this fuck should go right to jail.

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

unsure if the photo caused enough commotion, the post has once again put it on their front page.

11. Claghorn

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

13. NORE

NORE Senior member

What I'm having a hard time with is the vid they keep playing and why the dude who got pushed was standing there-with his back to the tracks, while engaging an obv disturbed individual? There's got to be a point where you think, man, I'd better move.

Also, what about the lady that recognized the pusher but didn't turn him in? I'm sure a few folks recognized him and did nothing.

14. Claghorn

...Kitty Genovese...

15. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Photog said it was 22 seconds between the time the man was pushed and when the train hit him.

Seems like a lot of time....

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

well he obviously had to turn on the camera, set the ISO to match the darker environment, increase the shutter speed so the train in motion appears clearly, and set up the flash to work properly. You see how that just eats into the 22 seconds, and in the end he had no time.

17. patrickBOOTH

Gome you could have done all of that in 3 seconds.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

(snark was intended in that post)

19. NORE

NORE Senior member

Def enuff time to get to a clearance zone. Or just lay down.

20. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

There are a lot of things that are messed up about this story. Most of them have been mentioned. I will mention the unmentioned and perhaps unmentionable and say that the guy who was killed should have been able to save himself, or at least prolong his impending doom. 22 seconds is an eternity. He could have gone in the column area between the 2 tracks. He potentially could have gone to the opposite side of tracks.