1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Nov 18, 2011.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I've read in a few places that the best thing to do is run to side of the tracks oppsoite from where the train is approaching. This method assumes you won't trip on the multitude of things (wires, trash, debris, track stabilizers, switch signals, etc.) that clutter the rails, and for that I'd pray for the best of luck.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I passed a city bus in the early morning hours on the way to work today. It's like a fishbowl in the darkness of the early morning so a passing motorist can see everything going on in there. I was appalled at seeing so many belonging to the unwashed masses in their natural habitat so early in the morning.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The third rail is there also so you might cook yourself. It is DC so if you jump on it you will be fine, but if one foot is on a rail and the other is on the third rail you are toast.

5. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

I think he means away from the train, not across to the other side of the track. You should, apparently, run towards the end of the platform that the train is heading towards. That gives the driver more time to see you and stop or at least slow down enough that hitting you won't kill you. Agree the third rail is probably worse than getting hit by the train.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I did mean away from the train, but I still feel like the third rail is a huge danger regarless.

If I had to go, I'd pick third rail "shock and out" over the drag and tear method of the train. Yikes.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

As long as you're well groomed. :nodding:

8. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

Amen brother. I don't think you'd even know you stepped on the third rail. It would be touch it and out.

9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I think it's a lot more complicated than that.

1. The victim may have been drunk and harassing the homeless nutcase who pushed him. Helping some crazed drunk who starts fights with the homeless is not high on my list of priorities. Check the video here and you'll see the two of them arguing with each other.

http://www.nypost.com/video?freewheel=90081&sitesection=nypost&VID=23906674

2. It's not in the Post photo, and I'm trying to find it now, but other photos of the scene show that the pusher was positioned so that to go and help the guy on the tracks one would have to get in between the pusher and the tracks. Not a good idea.
    3. My personal thought would be to get the fuck as far away from the tracks as possible since some crazed homeless man just pushed some crazed drunk on the tracks.

Is a myth. It's a case of wildly irresponsible journalism and exaggerated sociologists trying to justify their paychecks with little basis in fact.

10. NORE

NORE Senior member

Reports say that they were both unemployed men that performed odd jobs for street vendors so I'm guessing this was a turf dispute. When the story first aired it sounded like a crazed homeless man pushed a commuter onto the tracks.

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, but saying "...Kitty Genovese..." is more poignant than saying "...diffusion of responsibility..." and I felt the moment called for poignance rather than accuracy. Though I suppose such feelings lead to the further proliferation of the myth.

I've never bought into journalistic integrity; it's a business and they cater to demand. They should be motivated by a desire to reveal truth, or at least the facts, but I don't expect them to. As far as academia, here's a good quick article from the American Psychologist about the myth:

http://www.grignoux.be/dossiers/288/pdf/manning_et_alii.pdf

12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

so a dude jumped in front of an L train this morning. During rush hour, so he's a giant dick, etc. But last second he had a change of heart, so he ducked between the tracks and survived just fine.

2 people like this.
  13. NORE

NORE Senior member

I never got the killing yourself thing but people who choose to do it by train? That's just egregious.

14. Harold falcon

It's an attention whore thing. "Look at me! Pay attention to me!"

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

it's a tragety, etc., but it also really screws up an already unpleasant commute for thousands and thousands of people.

16. patrickBOOTH

Why do jumpers always do it in the morning during rush hour? If I were to kill myself I would at least sleep in. I mean might as well, right?

1 person likes this.
  17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

woke up early in anticipation?

18. Harold falcon

They want a crowd. I'm telling you these people are looking for somebody to notice them. I know this because I took Psychology 101 in college and attended more than half the classes.

3 people like this.
  19. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I just read this story... that's absolutely crazy. What are the chances of surviving that? Apparently he's got some unfinished work to do.

20. patrickBOOTH

Forgot to write a letter.