• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is this one particular homeless man/beggar that I always see. He has the same line and I see him at least twice a week. For some reason he always makes fun of me when he sees me. Doesn't bother anybody else, but singles me out to insult. It is always, "your glasses are stupid", or "that's an ugly jacket", etc... I take the higher road and smirk, but I feel like lashing out at him telling him that if he thinks insulting me is going to get him any money he is sorely mistaken.

Just to add I feel as a suit guy on the train I am often targeted by beggars. The other day there was a particularly grumpy dude walking back and forth asking for money all irritated and as he would walk back and forth he would kind of stick his face into mine and stare at me for a minute, like, "Yeah, you. I am asking you who should be giving me money for money!" It is unsettling.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
headphones. I carry them just so i don't have to pretent to listen to people or their ****** excuses.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is this one particular homeless man/beggar that I always see. He has the same line and I see him at least twice a week. For some reason he always makes fun of me when he sees me. Doesn't bother anybody else, but singles me out to insult. It is always, "your glasses are stupid", or "that's an ugly jacket", etc... I take the higher road and smirk, but I feel like lashing out at him telling him that if he thinks insulting me is going to get him any money he is sorely mistaken.
Just to add I feel as a suit guy on the train I am often targeted by beggars. The other day there was a particularly grumpy dude walking back and forth asking for money all irritated and as he would walk back and forth he would kind of stick his face into mine and stare at me for a minute, like, "Yeah, you. I am asking you who should be giving me money for money!" It is unsettling.

The words "**** off ****" not in your vocabulary?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the last thing I need is some foul odored person breathing close to my trou. Should they decide to like spit on the fabric, I'd go ballistic, which is not the thing to do on a crowded subway in the age of easy camera phones.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unlike Patrick I rarely get guys approaching me for money in public. When they do they leave me alone quickly. Perhaps I look like a cheap skate.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Between people looking for charitable donations or beggars it happens to me about twice a day at least. If I gave everybody money who asked on the street I'd be out there with them.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Between people looking for charitable donations or beggars it happens to me about twice a day at least. If I gave everybody money who asked on the street I'd be out there with them.

Same thing.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

must be a regular at the sw&d side :satisfied:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Funny you mention that. There is this homeless man in hipsterville of Williamsburg and I see him often pushing a cart. Actually he told my friend that he has dreams about him where he appears to him as Jesus, but that is a different story all together. Anyways, I always thought he looked really ******* cool, redwing boots, skinny jeans, cool shirts, totally SW&D approved. I thought to myself, damn this homeless guy is vain as hell, but then it hit me, that he is just getting his hands on whatever is in the garbage, or at thirft stores in Williamsburg, it is lack of options, not style at all. Kinda cool though, AMIRITE?!?! :satisfied:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some dude was blasting HORRIBLE rap on his phone speakers on the rush hour 1 train in the morning. Some young kid gets on the train and immediately blasts even louder classical music while standing next to the other guy. I gave the kid a nod.

The rap listener was not pleased, **** that guy.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
**** all shitheads who play their music so that it's audible to other riders. Even if I like the music.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
a while ago, there was a big black guy on the downtown train from Harlem and i'm 99% sure the song he was playing in his headphones was "Cruel Summer".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads