• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STYLEFORUM DOES JAPAN

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You may have noticed that there has been no "Pitti Uomo Preview Thread," despite the fact that Styleforum's return to The Wall is imminent.

That's because we're doing something different.

Something better.

In early June, I'll be heading to Tokyo, to sleep in capsule hotels and visit owl cafes. Oh, and to do stuff with clothes, I guess. And food. All of the food.

There will be denim. There will be indigo. There will be sushi and sake and karaoke and early mornings at the fish market. There will probably be a whole lot of embarrassment. But together, @nicelynice and I will do our meagre best to put together a kick-ass guide to shopping, eating, and enjoying yourself in Tokyo.

And so, although I have some idea of what we will be looking to accomplish, I open up this thread to you - my dearest internet friends and companions and lovers of all things wabi and sabi. What would you like to see? What would you like to know? What would you like us to do?

Picture it like foosball - You've got one month to contribute to our game plan. This is your chance, Styleforum. You can expect pages and pages of photos. Lots of words, too. And maybe more. Let the floodgates open, and tell us what you want to see from Styleforum's very first trip to the Land of the Rising Sun.

---

Oh, and in case you missed the boat, our April newsletter was likewise devoted to Japan. Have a read - maybe it will inspire you.

---

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is what I would like to see: traditional American workwear done a la Japanese flavor such as Freewheelers, Kapital, Buzz Rickson, and Real McCoy. Italian sartorial style a la Japanese aesthetic e.g. Ring Jacket, Cool Arrow. Boro fabric clothing both modern and traditional.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
@Synthese, thank you for the devoa pickups on styleforum's dime. my only regret is not being there for late night (early morning) karaoke and drinking.

(korea does karaoke better though)

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is what I would like to see: traditional American workwear done a la Japanese flavor such as Freewheelers, Kapital, Buzz Rickson, and Real McCoy. Italian sartorial style a la Japanese aesthetic e.g. Ring Jacket, Cool Arrow. Boro fabric clothing both modern and traditional.
Well, you have basically summed up the trip, so I guess I might as well close the thread now.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of indigo, I don't know if it is still there, but there used to be a fantastic little shop selling indigo-dyed goods in the basement of the Hanae Mori building in Harajuku.

The Hanae Mori building (designed by Kenzo Tange and named for the Japanese fashion designer) has a basement mall populated mainly with antique stores, including one selling Japanese swords, knives and armour, another selling very nice ukiyoe (woodblock prints), and others selling traditional Japanese dolls and other carvings and so on.

However, tucked away in one corner (off to the left as you head down the front stairwell) was a small store devoted entirely to "aizome" (indigo-dyed) goods - noren (the split door curtains), tablecloths, table runners, placemats, Japanese-style jackets, jumpers (sweaters), and a whole heap of other things.

There's also a place called "Gallery Kawano" which is up the road and around the corner from the Hanae Mori building that has a similar selection of indigo-dyed goods.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want a picture of Synth at 4am in Tsukiji, holding a giant ass tuna if possible.
#styleforum in front of giant Gundam
robot show
pierre hermes macarons
yamazaki 25 (or buy me a bottle)
raw egg, rice, and _____ somehow always tastes good
A5 wagyu - it really is that good
some kind of analysis/rundown on Yohji and where to find it
if you could get an interview with Daisuke of Devoa that'd be sweet (I think he does hang around the flagship store sometimes)
is m_moria still exhibiting/available in Japan? just chalk up a pair to 'research expense'

good luck finding clothes that fit you; will you fit in a capsule [hotel]?

but really you should just eat as much tuna and uni as possible.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good luck finding clothes that fit you; will you fit in a capsule [hotel]?

I'm 6 feet tall and used to weight 73kg (160lbs) and fitted into a couple of different capsule hotels without any problems.

You can find clothes up to a US size 40 and even 42 pretty easily, and shoes up to a US size 9 or maybe 9.5 pretty easily. Beyond that, it starts to get difficult.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Videogames and anime... and videogames and anime... and cosplay. Fashion wise, would love to check devoa more up close, and julius as well. IDK what/if you can do something about that, visit some stores... Can I give you some money and you buy somethig for me? It could range from videogames to anime to fashion to... you get the picture.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hell yes. I'm hoping to go after the bar, and I want to see:

FOOD.
Cool cultural must-sees, whether they be museums, galleries, or just street experiences.
Clothing.

MagicalZechs

Reaction score
@nicelynice thanks for tagging me, I've been slacking on my SF reading!

I'm 200% down for eating, drinking, touring, and singing like a bunch of idiots. And of course, nerding out about clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads