• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum and A&H present "The Proper Kit" Trunk show in NYC, Nov 7 2015

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
thanks clee

@LA Guy here is the second case. Its called the Faulkner Briefcase
http://www.jpmarcellino.com/collect...-cases-1/products/faulkner-2553-box-shap-flap

This is a simple clean box shaped case. it has a great dark green bridle leather color and just one big 3" compartment. The quick release lock also has leather on the front so it matches nicely

Here is a video of both cases showing the locks and especially how easy it is to open and close the T4, if you didn't read the description it is the strongest lock on Earth made of 7075 aluminum alloy.

0.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks clee

@LA Guy here is the second case. Its called the Faulkner Briefcase
http://www.jpmarcellino.com/collect...-cases-1/products/faulkner-2553-box-shap-flap

This is a simple clean box shaped case. it has a great dark green bridle leather color and just one big 3" compartment. The quick release lock also has leather on the front so it matches nicely

Here is a video of both cases showing the locks and especially how easy it is to open and close the T4, if you didn't read the description it is the strongest lock on Earth made of 7075 aluminum alloy.

0.jpg

Mine, mine, mine.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just so everyone who can't come can still participate, we are going to be live auctioning off this beautiful baby:

by J.P. Marcellino the day of the auction. Starting 9 a.m. Eastern time and ending at 6:00 p.m Eastern time. The bidding will start at $450, and all bids will be made right here on this thread. If you are at the event proper, you are, of course, welcome to bid as well.

Some other vendors will be extending their trunk show specials online to those not able to make the event in person, but it will depend on the vendor.

Cheers,

Fok.

the honor roll

Reaction score
Hi all,
My name is Chris Tuazon, and I'm a correspondent for Art & Hustle. I'm writing a few pieces to help introduce the brands attending The Proper Kit.

Up next is Monsieur Fox of Dubai by way of New Hampshire. Aside from ties, scarves and cufflinks, they design their own artistic pocket squares. Their latest collection is full of history.

150 years removed, Yoshinari Hatakeyama balances one foot aboard a merchant ship, the other upon solid Japanese soil. Over the next few months, the foreign culture he was advised to embrace will supplant the one he never thought to change. With so much to lose, why take the risk?

His answer:

If it be for my country
I may now endure
This of all the countless journeys.

the honor roll

Reaction score
And . . . another!

Up next is Shockoe Atelier of Richmond, Virgina. Shockoe Bottom to be exact. A well-respected denim crafter, who just introduced a new Fall/Winter collection full of things that are not denim (as you can see in @mattrho 's post up there). Keywords: American, sprezzatura, wabi sabi, "Like father, like son."

A finely beaten pair of jeans. Born crisp like the crust of fresh apple pie, worn down like the rubber of tractor tire. The everyman staple of hard work reaping red, white, and deep blue dreams. Unequivocally the most American thing you can ever own.

When a brand prides itself on producing honest quality denim in the red brick heart of Virginia, it burns bright with stars and stripes, forever. But from a centuries-old avenue in downtown Richmond, Shockoe Atelier dares to be more.

“We think of our brand as denim-inspired sartorial,” explains Shockoe co-owner Matt Rho. “These are clothes that are meant to be lived in and worn carelessly. You don’t hang up our jackets when you get home; you throw them on a chair in the corner. The clothes are designed to evolve and gain more character and beauty with wear, because they increasingly bear the mark of the wearer.”

Matt’s imagery certainly conjures the bootstraps and elbow grease of the blue collar man, the Pabst Blue Ribbon man. But flip through their catalogue. Past the rivets and leather badges.

Quilted blousons, baby alpaca wool, never-say-die patchwork. Here, Singers croon rough & tumble, but others have joined the band with their own notes to play. Do we hear the beginnings of the pure American swan song? Not quite.

“The world of denim is multi-faceted, embracing not only American ruggedness, but Italian sprezzatura and Japanese wabi-sabi. Our garments honor the best of each tradition, making a new, unified outfit. This is American.”

This is also a recent development.

Photo by Jeff Marini via​
“An American Myth”
-​
Someone Else
Opening in 2012, Shockoe’s founder Anthony Lupesco surnamed his brand Denim, since that’s about all he wanted to make. It was quickly recognized for world-class attention to detail, backed by a lifetime guarantee. Only recently has he offered Italian blazers and sartorial details to put a face to the Atelier. Some would call this an about-face. Others might point at Dylan with Judas singeing from the tongue.

It’s worth noting that the label was co-founded is Anthony’s father, Pierre Lupesco. His own resume includes forty years in European fashion, peaking with his own haute couture iteration, Linea Pitti. Yeah, that Pitti.

In its thread, the Lupesco brand bares a soul we’ve all faced: recognizing your father in yourself.

Fathers can personify qualities that we grow to almost despise. Eventually, sons may see themselves leaning ever so slightly towards their father’s sins, sometimes glacially, sometimes in bursts. And when we see it, we run. We reconcile.

“But in moments of clarity, we realize that to become our true selves, we have to embrace and then refashion both the gifts and the curses given to us by our fathers.”

Only by owning that birthright can you cut, sew, and make it into something for yourself.

Shockoe Denim began and continues Anthony’s proudly American crafted denim. Shockoe Atelier hails that he, too, is his father’s son, and embraced it for all its worth. A new name and line of intrepid garments isn’t just a rebranding; it’s a realization.

Shockoe Atelier is Linea Pitti’s indigo son. And it’s the most complete thing Anthony can ever own.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own several Monsieur Fox pocket squares, ties and a scarf. The designs and colors are very enjoyable. Looking forward to the show on the 7th to see their new designs and colors in person. No doubt my collection will grow!

mattrho

Reaction score
And . . . another!
Up next is Shockoe Atelier of Richmond, Virgina. Shockoe Bottom to be exact. A well-respected denim crafter, who just introduced a new Fall/Winter collection full of things that are not denim (as you can see in @mattrho 's post up there). Keywords: American, sprezzatura, wabi sabi, "Like father, like son."
@the honor roll thanks so much for the terrific write-up! You captured us so well!

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
@Ken P - Great write-up in the newsletter, and I'm glad to hear someone else shares my loathing of pumpkin beers.

You mentioned Hill Farmstead a couple of times in the article. Any chance of one or two of those making it to the lineup for the show? I've had one of their IPAs - I want to say it was the Harlan - but generally we don't see much from them in Philly.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To optimize the shopping experience, and so that the A&H guys will end up in a breakdancing battle with Bruce Boyer judging, I just ordered a couple of grand worth of bourbon, scotch, rum, cognac (even threw in a bottle of that Courvoisier), and a few cases of wine. For those who come early, Mac and Cheese and Lobster Mac from Artisanal Bistro (the lady was nonplussed at the quantities I ordered. Just... whatever.

Lunch will be served promptly at 12:45, so, be there are I'll be picking all the lobster out of your cheese. Eat while you are in line waiting for Bruce Boyer to sign your book. No, he won't sign your chest. No, I didn't ask, but I figured I'd save you the indignity. Books will be available at the show, and of course, at a discount (automatic for the people).

Cheers,

Fok.

the honor roll

Reaction score
and so that the A&H guys will end up in a breakdancing battle with Bruce Boyer judging
DAMMIT ALL. I would've taken it with my patented uprock+donkey+alpha kick+shuffle+****** windmill+backspin+Burt Reynolds on a bear rug.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads