• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[Student] casual navy jacket

GreenGranted

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Per this post:

http://masculine-style.com/staple-13-the-navy-jacket/

I'm going after a navy jacket (my first jacket). I've had absolutely NO success as of yet. I'm looking for a lighter shade of blue, cotton material (must be machine-washable), with 2 buttons. Most jackets I find in stores are midnight blue, must be dry cleaned and look way too formal. I'm in the Netherlands, Europe.

I am student so I am in an environment where most people go jeans (or sweatpants) + hoodie. That is why I can't use the more formal ones. I would look out of place. Besides, I want to be able to wear it on spring outdoor activities, not having to worry about it.

Ordering online is an option. I'm willing to spend a max of 120 euros. (The one the guy in the above post is wearing costs 90 dollars). I've come across this: what do you guys think?

http://www.makeyourownjeans.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=1863

with the "Blue fine twill" color.

I'm 1.74 m, skinny / athletic build.
Advice is appreciated!

Regards,
GreenGranted

GreenGranted

Reaction score
No, I don't have much experience putting on jackets, so maybe ordering from online is too risky. And I see that the jacket via my own link can't be machine washed, so that one is out of the question too. Hopefully the new spring collections will bring more of the casual ones back.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jackets in general are not machine washable, so you're not going to have much luck there. Your best bet is to check out the spring collections at H&M, C&A, and Peek and Cloppenburg.

HughJ

Reaction score
Seems like you've found exactly what you were looking for in a completely unstructured cotton jacket, so I'm not sure what advice you are seeking....

Above all else make sure the shoulders fit, because most else can be altered. The darker blues are easier to match. Be mindful of these jackets' length, as some of these look short, which is effeminate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads