• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve McQueen's white tennis shoes

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterMetro
It looks to me like he just threw on a pair of white canvas sneakers and didn't pettifog over make and model.

And yes, I understand the irony of posting that on a men's clothing message board of which I have been a member for nearly 10 years.

worship.gif

Gatsby777

Reaction score
Sorry to bring back this thread from the dead, but I am very interested in knowing what shoes he is wearing. As to the comment about him just throwing on any old pair of tennis shoes, that wasn't really his style. He was pretty brand loyal and particular about what he wore. Persol 714's were his favorite sunglasses (he had 3 or 4 pairs throughout the 60s with different color frames and lenses), he also liked Lee Prest cords and Lee pants/jeans in general, and his favorite shoes were playboy chukkas by Hutton, which he also wore throughout the 60s. Here are a few more pics of him with the white shoes. One is in color and shows the tread on the bottom. If anyone can help, please do.

Thanks,
C

Gatsby777

Reaction score
Sorry to bring back this thread from the dead, but I am also very interested in what exactly he has on. As to the comment about most likely just throwing on any old pair of sneakers, that wasn't his style. He was very brand loyal and particular about what he wore, especially in the 60s. His favorite sunglasses were Persol 714s (he had 3-4 pairs with different frame colors and lens colors throughout the 60s), he liked Lee Prest pants and Jeans, and he also had preferred to wear Playboy Chukkas by Hutton and wore them in both the 50s and 60s. I would like to know if anyone knows more and I have a few more pictures that may help.

Regards,
C

jhwendland

Reaction score
Honestly, they might be Chuck Taylors, maybe an older model of the All Star Leather Ox. But that seems like too obvious an answer, so I'm guessing they're actually something more obscure.

ajc2162

Reaction score
Ummmm.... have a look at the date of the last post. You've necrobumped a thread.

iiSpAzZOuT

Reaction score

AeonOfAwareness

Reaction score
Are you sure that they are Jack Purcells? The shoes in the photo don’t have the signature black smile on the front or the rubber toe cap.

From all of the reading I have done, that is what I have read they are. I could of course be wrong but they are very very similar.

mandragoru

Reaction score
I don't remember where I saw this, but I'm sure some expert guessed they are Italian brand Superga shoes.

tnjed

Reaction score
I think the closest imitation of what McQueen is wearing are the Land's End ones posted from awhile ago or White Spring Courts. Otherwise the Jack Purcell's look close enough. Definitely not Tretorn, especially not the ones posted.

kultschar

Reaction score
I think the closest imitation of what McQueen is wearing are the Land's End ones posted from awhile ago or White Spring Courts. Otherwise the Jack Purcell's look close enough. Definitely not Tretorn, especially not the ones posted.

The black / blue toe section of the Purcell though doesn't make it a good option in my opinion

kultschar

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads