1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Steve McQueen's white tennis shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nurktwin, Oct 9, 2010.

1. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

Anyone know what make/model of tennis shoes McQueen is wearing in this 1963 picture? (Check out the Hanhart chronograph and Persol 714s.) [​IMG]

2. daruma

daruma Senior member

look like spring courts

3. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Looks like Tretorn to me.

4. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

Looks like Tretorn to me.

Thanks. Which model of Tretorn?

5. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Thanks. Which model of Tretorn?

Mabye T56. It's still made and was first released in 1956, so would fit the timeline. I don't think spring courts have side vents or whatever they're called.

6. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Looks like Spring Court

7. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

Here's a better shot of the tennis shoes. Anyone know the make and model?

[​IMG]

8. chison

chison Well-Known Member

looks like wigwam wool sweat socks

9. Srynerson

Srynerson Senior member

Anyone know what make/model of tennis shoes McQueen is wearing in this 1963 picture? (Check out the Hanhart chronograph and Persol 714s.)

[​IMG]

Other than the double eyelet side vents, what makes these particularly unique?

10. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

Other than the double eyelet side vents, what makes these particularly unique?

Lack of branding. Clean style. No bullshit.

11. bagelz

bagelz New Member

12. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

They look dead on to the Land's End Canvas (SS2010) sneakers, pictured on the left of this page:
    http://www.primermagazine.com/2011/s...canvas-sneaker

I bought a pair of size 10s last year on sale for $16, and never took them out of the box, as I decided I prefer Purcells. If you wear a size 10 and want to swap me for a pair of size 10 Purcells, hit me on PM.

13. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

14. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

It looks to me like he just threw on a pair of white canvas sneakers and didn't pettifog over make and model.

And yes, I understand the irony of posting that on a men's clothing message board of which I have been a member for nearly 10 years.

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Excellent use of "pettifog". Glad to see long-time members still around.

16. softy

softy Senior member

It looks to me like he just threw on a pair of white canvas sneakers and didn't pettifog over make and model.

And yes, I understand the irony of posting that on a men's clothing message board of which I have been a member for nearly 10 years.

[​IMG]

17. Gatsby777

Gatsby777 Member

Sorry to bring back this thread from the dead, but I am very interested in knowing what shoes he is wearing. As to the comment about him just throwing on any old pair of tennis shoes, that wasn't really his style. He was pretty brand loyal and particular about what he wore. Persol 714's were his favorite sunglasses (he had 3 or 4 pairs throughout the 60s with different color frames and lenses), he also liked Lee Prest cords and Lee pants/jeans in general, and his favorite shoes were playboy chukkas by Hutton, which he also wore throughout the 60s. Here are a few more pics of him with the white shoes. One is in color and shows the tread on the bottom. If anyone can help, please do.

Thanks,
    C

18. Gatsby777

Gatsby777 Member

Sorry to bring back this thread from the dead, but I am also very interested in what exactly he has on. As to the comment about most likely just throwing on any old pair of sneakers, that wasn't his style. He was very brand loyal and particular about what he wore, especially in the 60s. His favorite sunglasses were Persol 714s (he had 3-4 pairs with different frame colors and lens colors throughout the 60s), he liked Lee Prest pants and Jeans, and he also had preferred to wear Playboy Chukkas by Hutton and wore them in both the 50s and 60s. I would like to know if anyone knows more and I have a few more pictures that may help.

Regards,
    C

19. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Honestly, they might be Chuck Taylors, maybe an older model of the All Star Leather Ox. But that seems like too obvious an answer, so I'm guessing they're actually something more obscure.

20. FredrikPeppe

FredrikPeppe New Member

Looks like Tretorn Racket from the 60s.