• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feedback on my spring / summer outfit attempts please

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I've tried to make a small capsule of quality items that all (more or less) go together to create a number of different outfits and looks. They are all casual summer outfits which cover the gauntlet of occasions which I, as a middle aged, middle class Londoner am likely to find myself in, in the daytime, during this season. This ranges from walking my dog in the park to supermarket shopping to going to a BBQ with friends to, at the very top end of the formality scale, going out to a nice restaurant for lunch with my wife or a group of friends.
Yes, this is kind of inspired by the sort of capsule articles that Simon writes for Permanent Style, only more tailored for my own life circumstances and situations, which of course are slightly different to those he is likely to experience as an internationally renowned style journalist. Rather than top-end/bespoke items as he likes to write about, often costing in the thousands, my items are mid-tier off-the-peg, costing in the hundreds - very nice by most standards but a bit more attainable.

So my capsule of items includes:
Two linen shirts in white and pink and one cotton/linen shirt in a rather deep, royal blue.

One pair of brown linen trousers, one white cotton trousers, and one pair of off-white linen shorts.

One blue cotton chore jacket, one green linen "games tunic" (as described by the manufacturer, I am not sure what most would call this) and one cream/light brown sports jacket.

My footwear options are: a cream suede tennis shoe (in need of a clean, sorry), a suede derby lace-up and a tan derby leather lace-up shoe (I suspect many might substitute this for a loafer, which I don't own). I would also include a brown suede desert boot/ chukka , but I didn't wear it for any of these pictures. I think it would go quite nicely with most of the other items though.

I also allowed myself a couple of wildcard items - these don't necessarily fit in with the capsule as a whole but they seem to be fairly useful within the context, and give me a couple of options of shaking things up a bit. They are a chequered linen cotton shirt and a navy sea island cotton polo.

PXL_20220718_160509172.jpg

This is really about me developing my own ability to dress well by matching congruent items, colours, textures, levels of formality, etc. So far from being instructional like Simon's capsule articles, this is to invite feedback on what I could do better, what other items I could bring in to make my outfits more interesting/stylish/elegant, etc.

PXL_20220718_153139574.jpg PXL_20220718_153259464.jpg

PXL_20220718_162616051.jpg PXL_20220718_162217568.jpg PXL_20220718_161741232.jpg
PXL_20220718_161654449.jpg PXL_20220718_153552146.jpg
PXL_20220718_162749539.jpg PXL_20220718_133535355.jpg PXL_20220718_132921398.jpg
PXL_20220718_132806527.jpg
PXL_20220718_140841660.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220718_141148846.jpg
    PXL_20220718_141148846.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 13

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are pretty good! I especially like the white trousers and the linen shirts.
a few suggestions:
(1) depending on the length of your shirts, you can also experiment with untucking your shirts
(2) maybe try a different belt too, like a surcingle belt. That brown belt is not very summery.
(3) another pair of summer footwear? I wouldn't call any of the dark brown shoes or boots very summery.
(4) another shirt silhouette? I know camp collar shirts might feel overdone at this point, but one or two can give you different looks.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
These are pretty good! I especially like the white trousers and the linen shirts.
a few suggestions:
(1) depending on the length of your shirts, you can also experiment with untucking your shirts
(2) maybe try a different belt too, like a surcingle belt. That brown belt is not very summery.
(3) another pair of summer footwear? I wouldn't call any of the dark brown shoes or boots very summery.
(4) another shirt silhouette? I know camp collar shirts might feel overdone at this point, but one or two can give you different looks.
Those are great ideas, thanks! I've actually just (finally) bought another belt which I think is far more summery and will appear in my next attempts.
As far as shoes go - I've just noticed that none of the pictures include the tan leather shoes which I picked for my capsule. An oversight. Would the brown desert boot be a better summer option too?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
A few more ... I think I might swap out the blue cotton shirt for this new sage linen one, for my capsule...

Bonus question: can I get away with wearing this sage green linen shirt with the green linen overshirt? Are they different enough in tone? Or does the fact that they are both top-half garments mean it's ok for them to be closely matched in colour? (I know stylish people will wear, for example, a blue shirt and blue sports jacket together, and make it look good).

Ps. This belt any better?

PXL_20220726_152218211.jpg
PXL_20220726_154414928.jpg
PXL_20220726_154344392.jpg

Corded Dyson Vacuum

Reaction score
Your jacket and shirt look great together.

Wearing all clothes in the same colour range is called "tonal", usually done in grey tones or blue tones.

Wearing all green can fall into a trap of looking like you're playing army, but you've successfully avoided that with linen, the sage tone of the shirt and white trousers.

Desert boots work in the summer (they were invented for fighting in the desert after all) I would just save them for cooler days. If you aren't going to wear a jacket, then I wouldn't wear boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads