1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well Philip said the Novello is elongated to make up for the width so I'd imagine it's a non issue.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. emiristol

emiristol Senior member

how do SC loafers tend to fit? i have a pretty narrow heel and can fit fairly well into RTW oxfords, but i'm a little hesitant to MTO a pair of loafers since if the heel fit is even a bit tenuous, then it won't wear very well at all

3. arneben

arneben Well-Known Member

If I may offer some advice, the loafers you do as a MTO would fit the same as the oxfords assuming the instep fits as it should.Please keep in mind out stiff the heel counter is, and if you are thinking of going more narrow, be careful that you do not go too tight and pinch the heel.

A more important indicator of good fit on a loafer would be the instep measurement. If you are comfortable in your oxfords, and you feel that a fixed height will supply enough pressure to lock your foot back towards the heel, then this would be an appropriate size and fit for you.

One thing that you will learn with SC is that you improve fit over future orders. The fact that you are already wearing oxfords and you can provide SC with insight on how the last fits you, you can then refine the fit by entering the world of their "pret customized" system. Please DM me if you would like further assistance.

3 people like this.
  4. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

Latest order. My first casual shoes from St. C. Shrunken calf, rubber soles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  5. patrickBOOTH

Nice, report back on how the leather finish holds up if they get wet.

6. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I will. I asked Phillip about the reported problems before ordering. He assured me there wouldn't be any issues.

7. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

8. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

Can we have a sole shot? I know SC has a number of rubber sole options.

9. mw313

mw313 Senior member

it probably would look great with leather soles as well. I will definitely keep that style in mind for the future. Love it!

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:+1. The shoes themselves are terrific. I'd also like to know which rubber soles were chosen and what informed the choice. Congrats Mr. Pink!

11. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Agreed.

12. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

Here's the rubber sole. Not sure what it's called. It was Phillips suggestion. He commented specifically that he liked it because it could be beveled and so was less conspicuous. I think it looks good but I think something heavy like vibram would also look fine with the shrunken calf.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  13. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Great choice and I think this is a better choice than vibram. The bevel detail definitely makes a difference and you barely notice that it isn't a leather some unless you look closely.

1 person likes this.
  14. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

Agreed. They look great! I believe I'll get this for my dress boots I order later this year.

15. patrickBOOTH

I'm swinging by the shop to pick these up today. Very curious about them. I might wear them out of the shop like a 10 year old.

2 people like this.
  16. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Nothing like walking out of a shoe shop with new shoes on your feet, "old" pair in the box.

"What's in the bag?" (Pointing down to your shoes)

"Omg those are gorgeous PB, how much were they?"

Ummm

17. patrickBOOTH

I still have to lie to my mother how much things were. She's very nosey about money for whatever reason. Always asking me how much I am paying for things.

1 person likes this.
  18. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

What's a reasonable price to quote mother PB? When I wore alden and C&J I would quote a price 50% ish lower than retail (I got them slightly used I would tell them). Now with EG, GG, STC, Vass MTO I don't even answer anymore. I'll stand there in silence and not blink, look down at my shoes and look back up. Hoping they've lost interest.

As uncomfortable as this has become it's still less uncomfortable than telling the truth. Answering that question candidly and then dealing with 7 stages of shock, surprise, outrage, etc is a far worse experience. I just won't do that to someone I care and love for.

Only problem is once you start buying nicer shoes they ask more frequently.

1 person likes this.
  19. patrickBOOTH

The thing is I get a lecture about how it is a sin and there are children with cancer and starving people and whatnot. When I know I am going to see her I try to wear the same pair so she doesn't know how many I have.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  20. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Oh Jesus, that kind of talk would devastate me.