St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by medtech_expat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Greetings, earthlings. I'm back.

2. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

So...I have received the first of many shoe orders that I have placed in 2014....my Saint Crispin's.

This is the Saint Crispin's speciality model - model #108 - Riva Last - in midnight blue CRU - with contrast stitching - extra burnishing requested on the toes and heels - my initials PCK in the sole - and metal toe plates installed.

First off, the service from Leffot where I ordered the shoes (specifically from Che...she rules...and Stephen)...and from Phillip Car's personal attention to my order was excellent as I met him at the trunk show to place the order. Phillip had some sizing suggestions and helped me to realize my vision for this shoe. The sizing suggestions seemed to have proved worthwhile as these shoes, upon my initial wearing, seem to fit better than my previous order...we shall see in time as I break them in.

Aesthetically...they are gorgeous...exactly what I wanted. The Riva Last with the hand stitched apron is perfect...and I have always appreciated this model of split toe derby...of which I think Saint Crispin's is the most aesthetically pleasing. It is very modern and not so clunky and country looking like some other maker's designs.

The midnight blue with the extra burnishing to darken the toes and heels came out exactly how I wanted. The dark blue can be worn very casually, but is dark enough to still be worn with grey and blue odd trousers and some suits. I also intend to wear this shoe with certain chinos...and very casually with jeans.

These shoes will only be polished with black wax..and over time they will develop that beautiful blue/black patina that is similarly created by some shoe artists such as Alexander Nuralaef of Dandy Shoe Care. But they will be better, because it will be developed over time and with my own care.

The sole treatment is beautiful. They are polished expertly...the toe plates were installed perfectly flush...and the nailwork in the heel and for my initials is very precise. The wood-pegged waist is very nice...as it seems to be on most of the StC model's I have seen in person.

I do have one complaint...if you look closely at the leather used for the lacing enclosure...there are some dark lines that appear to be stretch marks...I'm not a leather expert...so I don't know for sure if that is what they are in fact...but it does seem to be of lesser quality leather than what was used for my vamp...which is spotless in this regard. I will probably polish this area more heavily with black to try and blend the lines in a bit. Of course, nobody but a shoe snob would notice this...and certainly most that see these shoes on my feet will compliment them...but I do feel it is important to point this out...as these shoes of course are constantly billed as the highest quality possible other than bespoke...and their very expensive price certainly reflects this...

All in all...I am pretty pleased with how they turned out...and especially how they look. I am very excited to bring these shoes into my wardrobe...and plan to use them in a very versatile manner...they will look excellent just as a pair of brown or black shoes would.

BLUE FTW!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  3. stevent

stevent Senior member

Congrats! Wasn't a big fan of model before but yours look very nice

4. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I have to admit...the first time I saw this model I thought it was atrocious and too outlandish for me...but over time it grew on me and intrigued me...as I've been trying to expand my shoes choices into more interesting things that I don't have and that aren't seen as often...and this model stuck out well..

I think it did very well with the dark blue...I have seen it in some other makeups that I wasn't a huge fan of...

5. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

@PCK1 those 108 look excellent! I also really think the midnight blue came out beautifully. The 108 in Navy was the first pair of St.C's I wanted but I've opted to go with more traditional styles until I've built out a collection. These are absolutely inspiring.

I would love to get a pair of oxfords made to this color specification to wear everyday with suits as an alternative to black. Thanks to how your make up came out, I'm thinking it is possible to get away with!

Enjoy and please let us see how they break in, I wasn't able to find very many pictures of well worn 108s when I was first looking.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I saw this model in black scotch grain and I thought it looked amazing. A very sharp way to wear this style.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do we know what is done to shoes when they are sent back for resole? Is it simple a resole, or are they changing the welt and/or other things also?

8. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

New arrivals today:

model 105 in CRU607
    model 105 in KUD078
    model 104 in CRU609
    model 116 in black calf

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rc121

rc121 Senior member

you win the internet today

10. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Senior member

Wonderful, all of them! Which size are they? They look exceptionally sleek for St. Crispins, at least to my eyes...

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

12. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

13. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Those chukkas are just luscious... :drool:

14. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Beautiful ... one is more beautiful than the other. But if I have to be honest I prefer this ... congratulations.

15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

True dat. So much win.