• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Socially embarrassing hobbies and unattractiveness

thealbatross

Reaction score
Do you think there is a correlation between unattractiveness and what are considered socially embarrassing hobbies? I am thinking along the lines of AD&D, Star Trek, carrier pigeons, collecting stamps or even an overactive interest in things such as umbrella handles. I consider myself unattractive but have somehow avoided taking up any of these interests; this makes me wonder if people develop these hobbies as an outlet to their unattractiveness or if it’s just a coincidence. An odd question I know; perhaps I have perused more mainstream interests do to my own self-perception.

Earthmover

Reaction score
In 1968, there was actually a study done by Emory social scientists that observed a fairly large sampling of males between 15-18 (n=1000) seeing whether their hobbies were (1) thought of by a sample of females (n=500) as a "bad" hobby or a "good" hobby, and (2) rated their looks on a scale of 1 to 10. What they found was that there was high correlation between a low attractiveness score and the number of "bad" hobbies the individual had. For example, a person with attractiveness around a 2 had something like 3.75 "bad" hobbies, while a person with A=9 would have around 2.5 "good" hobbies.

Conclusions:

1. Uggos have bad hobbies.
2. Good looking people have good hobbies.
3. Some people just make up random "experiments" from 1968 and try to pass them off as truths.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stamp collecting doesn't seem a "bad" hobby. What's supposed to be a "good" hobby?

This is more of a social perception rather than any definitive correlation to bodily aesthetics.

quid

Reaction score
i like to go raving. people immediatly assume i do drugs, which i dont. but nevertheless people seem to look negativly upon it.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was, in fact, president of my junior high school Stamp Club, which is not at all surprising, given my prominence as one of the Style Forum ugmos.
sly.gif

Strangely enough, the club was about half female and included some of the school's more attractive specimens.

thealbatross

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Stamp collecting doesn't seem a "bad" hobby. What's supposed to be a "good" hobby?

This is more of a social perception rather than any definitive correlation to bodily aesthetics.

While I didn't use the word "bad" I think that a hobby such as stamp collecting is on the side of being socially embarrassing due to the association of people such as Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace; those who are generally homebound or curmudgeonly. Perhaps I am wrong but I associate interests that don't involve interaction with a wide circle of people or offer the possibility of meeting new people, as being socially embarrassing. If at a party I would be hard pressed to talk about stamp collecting; even if it were an interest of mine as I feel it would feed on the perception of my being unattractive.

Earthmover, did the study you refer to list what it considered as "bad" hobbies? I wonder if any of the ones I listed were included.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some of the most interesting people are those who collect arcane objects. For example, the Renaissance gentlemen who assembled the so-called Cabinets of Curiosities, which were usually much more than cabinets, in fact entire houses.

Someone like Albertus Seba would probably be regarded as a "freak" in today's society not to mention King Rudolf II.

thealbatross

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Some of the most interesting people are those who collect arcane objects. For example, the Renaissance gentlemen who assembled the so-called Cabinets of Curiosities, which were usually much more than cabinets, in fact entire houses.

Someone like Albertus Seba would probably be regarded as a "freak" in today's society not to mention King Rudolf II.

With all due respect I sometimes find that well meaning people use the word "interesting" as a synonym for "unattractive".

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thealbatross
With all due respect I sometimes find that well meaning people use the word "interesting" as a synonym for "unattractive".
I think this is true as well. Either that or using it as a euphemism for weird or bizzare, which is really a relative circumstance.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comic books
Xbox
Gamers
DnD
Anything the reeks of geek

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Often such activities appeal to those outside the mainstream. Those people are often outside the mainstream for a reason, either because of personality, personal inclination or appearance. Often their "unattractiveness," such as it is, has much to do with a refusal/inability to package themselves as do others. (That, and an excessive interest in anything can be unhealthy/unattractive.)

Beyond that, I assume the self-conciously "beautiful" often avoid such activities because of the stigma attached.

All that said, if other people judge me less attractive because of my love of old books or obscure British TV shows, it's their loss, really.

Thealbatross, why do so many of your posts reference your perceived unattractiveness?

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
Too bad a lot of the "good" hobbies are cost prohibitive. I'd love to go race cars on the weekend or dabble in general aviation. Don't those sound a lot better than playing race car games on nintendo?
sneaky2.gif
It would be interesting to compare the prices of some "bad" hobbies vs "good" ones. As long as you don't get obsessive (you don't need superman #1 do you?)... Bad: comics - few bucks an issue DnD - how much does an 8 sided die cost? Stamps - 39 cents Video games - Cheaper entertainment per hour than movies horticulture - free food
wink.gif
Good: surfing - those boards are expensive... and its limited to coastal access mountain biking - prolly kinda nerdy but maybe it picks up eco chicks team sports - probably the cheapest option... but all the equipment cars - gotta buy a car What else is good that isnt some sort of sport? But it seems like theyd all have at least a sizable initial investment.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any kind of serious collecting is going to be expensive.

DJing is a cool hobby though being a music fan can be kinda sketch.

aybojs

Reaction score
I'll piss some people off by saying this, but nothing brings out the dregs like anime/manga. I'm not referring to people who like to see the occasional campy movie, play a video game that incorporates it, or read something critically acclaimed like Akira. But nearly every hardcore anime nut (e.g. the kind who acts out anime character routines in public, studies Japanese solely to watch anime, or produces homemade fanfiction and hentai images to share at conventions) I've seen falls into the one or more of the following categories:

-Would-be pedophile practicing displacement.
-Sexually repressed white nerd with an extremely creepy Asian fetish.
-Severely overweight/underweight anti-social shut-in.
-Adult with the mentality of a child.

I know some of you guys do enjoy it, but seriously, your hobby has some well-deserved image problems.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics