1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Socially embarrassing hobbies and unattractiveness

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by thealbatross, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ed Gein was an unattractive man with a socially embarrassing hobby.
    You're beginning to sound like Patrick Bateman.

3. Nantucket Red

Is it the hyperbolic understatement?

4. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Perfect examples:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furries

Furry subculture has extremely little connection to anime subculture, which is itself apparently understood here only in stereotypes masquerading as insight.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Furry subculture has extremely little connection to anime subculture, which is itself apparently understood here only in stereotypes masquerading as insight.
    My point was mostly about the sexual aspects, which I only understand from a third-person view. However, I have also read of sexualized Harry Potter subcultures with the characters done up in manga-esque looks, and very sexualized, many of a sodomite nature.

6. Kent Wang

Is it the hyperbolic understatement?
    Isn't that an oxymoron? No, the reference of serial killers in conversation.

7. Kent Wang

My point was mostly about the sexual aspects, which I only understand from a third-person view.
    So you are a voyeur?

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

So you are a voyeur?
    "I like to watch". Chance Gardener.

9. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Isn't that an oxymoron?
    No.

10. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

11. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

12. Nantucket Red

Isn't that an oxymoron? No, the reference of serial killers in conversation.
    Hyperbolic understatement is called meiosis. For example, describing exquisite food as "very nearly edible" or a beautiful woman as "not too unsightly."

13. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Hyperbolic understatement is called meiosis. For example, describing exquisite food as "very nearly edible" or a beautiful woman as "not too unsightly."

Didn't Amory in This Side of Paradise have a habit of this?

14. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

same meiosis as the type of cellular division.

15. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I think you have the term mixed up with litotes, which specifically refers to understatement by implying the negative of its opposite. I'm definitely sure your second example is one of litotes. I don't remember the details of what meosis covers, and it may be a more general term for understatement that could encompass litotes, but I recall learning that meosis involves the use of a substitute word of lesser scale to refer to one that carries more weight; in the cases of your examples, it would be like calling a gourmet meal a "nice dish" (kind of like the first example) or saying that a supermodel is "slightly attractive." My guess is that there is a negative vs. positive distinction that separates the two.

16. Nantucket Red

I think you have the term mixed up with litotes, which specifically refers to understatement by implying the negative of its opposite. I'm definitely sure your second example is one of litotes. I don't remember the details of what meosis covers, and it may be a more general term for understatement that could encompass litotes, but I recall learning that meosis involves the use of a substitute word of lesser scale to refer to one that carries more weight; in the cases of your examples, it would be like calling a gourmet meal a "nice dish" (kind of like the first example) or saying that a supermodel is "slightly attractive." My guess is that there is a negative vs. positive distinction that separates the two.

The Concise Oxford gives it as "another term for litotes." In fact, I believe it covers both bases. My second example was litotes by definition, as you mention.

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

If the Style forum is bad, I don't want to be good. [​IMG]

Seriously though, I'm interested in so many things, that there is no way that I couldn't find one "˜hobby' that doesn't correlate to something someone else is interested in. That said, in 68' not a lot of people wore contacts. I bet that not having glasses on has changed many people's looks from "˜unattractive' to "˜attractive' (all of which is subjective anyways).

Personally I sometimes wear my glasses and sometimes my contacts, and I wear the contacts only because of the ease of use (I don't have to clean them throughout the day, etc...), I could care less how glasses make me look. If someone doesn't like me for who I am then: oh, well.

Jon.

18. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Ed Gein, The maitre "˜d at Canal Bar?

Jon.

19. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

I have no hobbies, per se. I think the truly unattractive find hobbies confronting and intimidating, and not at all the refuge from society that they are commonly thought of being.

20. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

I have no hobbies, per se. I think the truly unattractive find hobbies confronting and intimidating, and not at all the refuge from society that they are commonly thought of being.

the unattractively vacuous?