• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Fútbol • Calcio • Futebol - 2012-2013 Thread (Including EURO2012)

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah. Love PKs. If players are going to bunker down and waste time, then on to the shootout.

HAL 9000

Reaction score
I don't like the PK system as much as the next guy but I don't think the fans nor the players can handle triple, quadruple, quintuple, etc. extra time.

In any case, what's funny is that Portugal dominated Spain in possession time. We can safely say that Spain are the masters of possession and ball control. They usually control it from 60-75% of the match, but in this match they only controlled it 45% of the time. Portugal played well and neutralized Spain's strengths.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No matter who is going to win the next semi final, the only thing I hope for is Spain losing in the finals.
How can so many incrediblely skilled players like the squad of Spain show football that is that uninspiring ... soporific?
Don't get me wrong, Spain won deservingly the last two tournaments and that loss against Italy 2006 still hurts, but at least Italy and our side show something to us followers.
So no matter who of the two advances should beat the crap out of Spain in the finals for everyone who enjoys fast and attractive football.
Am really afraid this could turn out like 2004...

Last edited:

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No matter who is going to win the next semi final, the only thing I hope for is Spain losing in the finals.
How can so many incrediblely skilled players like the squad of Spain show football that is that uninspiring ... soporific?
Don't get me wrong, Spain won deservingly the last two tournaments and that loss against Italy 2006 still hurts, but at least Italy and our side show something to us followers.
So no matter who of the two advances should beat the crap out of Spain in the finals for everyone who enjoys fast and attractive football.
Am really afraid this could turn out like 2004...

Don't get too high on yourself. Italy has definitely turned a corner in terms of goal scoring and turning down the theatrics, but the 2006 and 2008 editions of the Azzurri were mostly known for their stifling defence and absurd levels of diving. I don't think you'd find too many people outside of Italy who were huge fans of the Italian side until they started scoring some goals and stopped flopping around like fish on the pitch.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The lack of dolphins in this Euro Championship has been extremely refreshing. De Rossi still bothers me after his WC08 performance, but the rest of the Italian squad learned how to stay on their feet

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Until overtime, Portugal had the match 50/50.

87th minute was Portugal's moment with Ronaldo in on goal. That pass from Mireles was **** and took him off stride. After that I knew it was unlikely to end in a Portugal win.

1/2 half was good, 2nd was ****.

How the best player in Europe didnt take a penalty is beyond belief.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Until overtime, Portugal had the match 50/50.
87th minute was Portugal's moment with Ronaldo in on goal. That pass from Mireles was **** and took him off stride. After that I knew it was unlikely to end in a Portugal win.
1/2 half was good, 2nd was ****.
How the best player in Europe didnt take a penalty is beyond belief.

Saving him for "the crunch" I suppose.

Someone needed to tell the Portuguese skipper that in the PK, "the crunch" is shooters 1 and 2.

Oleg

Reaction score
Portugal were buggered. Spent so much energy in their decent first half that they looked out on their feet in extra time. Hard work chasing around without the ball for two hours. Spain made a mistake starting Negredo: touch like an electric shock. Worse than shyte. I really don't know what Llorente's done to upset Del Bosque so much.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saving him for "the crunch" I suppose.
Someone needed to tell the Portuguese skipper that in the PK, "the crunch" is shooters 1 and 2.
No, you save your striker with the best composure until last so he doesn't buckle under the pressure of having to score to keep you in it/send you through. 1 and 2 you go for ones with technical ability because there's no way it will send you out.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Big day today! Germany is going down.

sokratis

Reaction score
Portugal were buggered. Spent so much energy in their decent first half that they looked out on their feet in extra time. Hard work chasing around without the ball for two hours. Spain made a mistake starting Negredo: touch like an electric shock. Worse than shyte. I really don't know what Llorente's done to upset Del Bosque so much.

Yeah, I'd like to see Llorente in the starting 11 in the final.

Oleg

Reaction score

Italy **  is going down.

All seriousness, should be a fantastic game no matter what the result.

Hard to get a handle on the Italians. They looked decent against Spain, I suppose. But England were so ******* abject in all aspects except last ditch defending that it's hard to judge them. Pirlo was magnificent against England but England never got close to him. Given he's got the mobility of an asthmatic tortoise he really should have been pressurised a bit more. Can't see the Germans giving the same time and space. Italian finishing will have to be better than it was in the quarters - the Germans won't give them that number of chances.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads