1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Fútbol • Calcio • Futebol - 2012-2013 Thread (Including EURO2012)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by El Argentino, May 22, 2012.

1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Totally down with fantasy EPL - thanks MoK! Was uber-enjoyful last season.

2. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

As long as he tries his absolute hardest the Leeds fans will love him, as long as he has ability or a willingness to get stuck right in Warnock will love him. I think Leeds might not be the club for him at the current juncture.

Just bought my season ticket. £582 to go behind the goal (about $900). Can't wait.

3. rokr32

rokr32 Active Member

did you guys see Ibra will have to give 75% of his 12 million euro salary to the gov't now that he signed with PSG?

It's a new tax law by the new French president that people who earn over 1 million euros have to be taxed by 75%

4. El Argentino

I'd read that PSG negotiated around that - they'll pick up his taxes, so in the end he walks away with his yearly wage after tax.

5. LosRojiblancos

LosRojiblancos Active Member

^ From what I've read Zlatan should be able to walk away with 14€ million a year after tax. Has the 75% millionaire tax even been passed yet?

6. romafan

romafan Senior member

Does this mean the PSG is paying 42 million euros for ibra's taxes? :crazy: I'm sorry but i can't help it, i've developed a severe loathing for this team over the last week....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  7. rokr32

rokr32 Active Member

yea, i don't think they'd pay 42 million euros for his taxes, considering if they did that, his base salary would be 56 million euros, surpassing C. Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney and becoming by far the most expensive player. Plus, the team would then also have to this (but to a smaller scale) for thiago silva, lavezzi, etc..

I wonder if Ibra knew of this before he signed...

8. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

No, it hasn't passed yet. It's only been discussed.

9. LosRojiblancos

LosRojiblancos Active Member

^ Thanks, wasn't sure.

http://www.france24.com/en/20120718...ary-psg-zlatan-ibrahimovic-football-tax-wages

"In order to pay Ibrahimovic €14 million a year, it has been estimated that PSG will have to shell out a further €21 million per year to the French state in taxes and social charges.

And if the new 75% tax bracket is passed, tax lawyers have calculated that Ibrahimovic could end up costing the French club a total of €80 million a year in wages and taxes."

I really look forward to see how much impact FFP will have...

10. El Argentino

^^ Yes, this is what I don't get.

First off, France is doob-smoking crazy to ever think that a tax rate that high will be productive. You're going to have so much wealth fleeing the country that they'll be collecting even less than they are now. If there's ever been one sure-fire way to drop governmental revenue, it's been higher taxes. :facepalm:

I'm not opposed to massive takeovers at clubs - that's entirely the purchaser's perogative if they want to pump money into a bleeding organization with no hopes of return. And while I appreciate the sentiment, I am personally opposed to the restrictions that accompany FFP.

But, if you know that it's going to come into effect in what, two seasons - why are you setting yourself up for such a problem now? Find a way around it. I wrote a paper on the prospect of Financial Fair Play for my advanced English class a few years ago, and I know that there are some income flows "exempt" from FFP regulation, but I still find it hard to believe that PSG and Chelsea won't have issues when the legislation finally locks down.

I am excited by the PSG product, but think it will definitely cause another skew in the player pool - who's this Italian 19-year-old suddenly spouting crap about a "dream move" to Paris? Bull. You're cashing in. At least be honest about it. You're having all the elite players concentrated into a few super clubs - and while that's exciting for CL nights, kind of makes everything else second fiddle.

I wonder if club "prestige" will revert back to maybe early-2000s levels after all this mega spending is regulated, or at least some period before the original Galacticos-move by Fiorentino. Or conversely if the City's and PSG's of the world will have time to be built into dynasties - I mean, the younger fans of the world; all they'll know is super-rich Chelsea (as that's personally been my only experience with the team since getting into the game). Chelsea's just "always been" a big club.

Discussion on the boards have informed me they're just "new money" but still. As massively global as the sport is getting, is there room for Leeds anymore outside of the UK? Can a Bilbao survive and legitimately compete for international honors in the next few years just off the passion of a few thousand Basques in the north of Spain? :doubtful:

11. El Argentino

Also, ManU away.

Had a change of heart on the home kit (liking it on the pitch), but this is just total :uhoh:

[​IMG]

Looks like the USA women's kit.

12. DLester

DLester Senior member

It is not that simple. US tax rates in the 90's were higher than now, but revenues were strong and we were running a budget surplus.

I agree that France is going to have a long term capital flight problem with a rate that is as high as that, since it is so out of line with what many other countries assess.

.... before long Manchester City will have "always been" a big club

13. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Giggs, Giggs will tear his family apart again.

Rooney shagged a Granny.

And Rio is just a forgetful turd. What a great picture to sum up that club.

14. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Leicester are already quite popular in Thailand thanks to their owners coming from there. We already have few fans in Australia from the late 90's/early 2000s with us having a few Skippies in the squad, and for some reason Norway quite likes us, as well as Ireland. The kids in China and Africa just look at who is top of the league that day and say they will support them. If we do get Bahraini owners I should imagine we will get a lot of support in that country with the money generating us some support elsewhere (a player from a particular country will do the same, why do you think scum signed Park Ji Sung, its either to prove to people they aren't racist or to get the support from that country). As for PSG, I'm not sure Ligue 1 has the variety of clubs that can attract the top players.

Remember they will be looking at who they play against as much as who they play with and if you can play against Manchester United and Liverpool, Barcelona and Real Madrid, Juventus and AC Milan, or Lyon and Marseille, are you going to move to Leeds, Valencia, Fiorentina, or PSG? With the same cash, chance of success on the pitch, facilities etc the first two or three are going to be far better propositions IMO. This will also hurt Celtic over the next few years as people realise the SPL is two or three clubs moving South away from being the Blue Square Far North.

15. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

I quite like the top, but the rest of the kit is a letdown.

16. El Argentino

Team GB getting spanked by Brazil U-23 today. Hahaha. With Becks on a spree right now, have to second guess selection.

17. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Somebody has to get injured before...

They need the two token older Welsh on the pitch...

Richards has to get injured..

18. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

In their defense, look how stacked the Brazil U-23 team is. The funny thing is that Richards, the player Beckham was dropped for, didn't have much of a game and gave away the penalty.

19. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Which number had Oscar on his shirt?

20. El Argentino

I believe he was wearing the "10"