• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hellbent

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted a million times already, but yea it can be done. His Dukeness himself did it. It’s settled :)

02FAFF9C-CD2E-4714-913E-84386020F7EC.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes a photo is just a photo. It can evoke a feeling or something. Not everything is a technical manual for how to dress. It can be just fun or a way to say "hey look at this cool thing." We're literally talking about fashion (style, if you want).

Here is a duck in sneakers

View attachment 1673798

right. And the topic is tailored clothing with sneakers. On a men’s clothing forum. I didn’t realize we were being so ecumenical.

I think you and I can at least agree that fashion trends and rules, for lack of a better term, differ for men and women.

I’m not sure how someone is supposed to draw inspiration from that. Does she look good (stylistically)? of course. Perhaps an inspirational look for Another woman.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
right. And the topic is tailored clothing with sneakers. On a men’s clothing forum. I didn’t realize we were being so ecumenical.

I think you and I can at least agree that fashion trends and rules, for lack of a better term, differ for men and women.

I’m not sure how someone is supposed to draw inspiration from that. Does she look good (stylistically)? of course. Perhaps an inspirational look for Another woman.

You should take inspiration that she doesn't have a stick ***********.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For a truly casual look it's fine. But one needs to know what he is doing ... and I'd prefer to see less white. That said, I remember wearing white tennis shoes with chinos and a coat way back in the 80's. It was very much a summer look. Sadly there was no SF to tell me whether I passed the test or not.

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted a million times already, but yea it can be done. His Dukeness himself did it. It’s settled :)

View attachment 1673800

well that settles the dark colored sneakers debate…

but unless you can find a J.C. Penney’s catalogue from the golden era featuring white sneakers with a suit, well I guess we will have to say it is against the rules?

which is a shame, because nothing shows that one has been wearing clothes for a while and is not new to wearing clothes and is making informed decisions moreso than pairing new balance sneakers and army pants with a gold button blue blazer.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
Sure, if it's a casual getup. I don't miss the 90s trend of people wearing tuxes and suits with sneakers, but if we're talking sport coats, denim or casual trousers, etc. then I have no problem with it.

emptym

Reaction score
I honestly don't understand this look at all.

Why bother with the oxfords if you are going to destroy the look with unpressed chinos?

This:
IMG_20210909_1248177.jpg

especially looks ridiculous. He has baggy unpressed chinos on and is going to casual restaurant. Why would he decide "this is the right time to wear my nicest shoes"?

At least #1, given the context, seems like he's going to the cleaners to get his dress pants. I'll give a pass there, given the pants are clean, but the rest? It's like, can't you guys go find yourself some big boy pants?

I find it discordant and silly. It's like the dumb look noobs had in the 2010s.
+1

:devil: Sorry to bust your b-lls, but seriously, I think suit plus sneakers is basically the flip side of chinos with oxfords. The same arguments apply: "It's creative! Tailored clothes/oxfords are the best! I like mixing casual and dressy. I don't want to stand out too much. But I still want to get some use of my favorite item. And I want to be classy. Etc."

Personally, I don't love either look, but I've experimented a bit with both. Just as I've worn brogued burgundy wingtips with gray pants and navy blazer, I've worn GATs w/ light gray fresco pants and white (seersucker) shirt.

Of all the pics posted so far, I may like this the most.

But imo, Vans or GATs may be the best option for wear w/ tailored clothes. Sperry makes or made a nice laceup similar to Vans, but a slightly slimmer sole. Reminds me of Mr. Rogers:
81sjhJciQGL.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi JFWR

I'm writing an article inspired by this thread, would you mind if I quote you in it? I can add a bio/website/socials if you have any :)

Hamish

Edit:

I thought I should at least contribute my opinion

I'm not an expert but I personally think the look is ridiculous if the sneakers contrast with the suit, but if they blend in (as the example above) I think it can give a modern twist to the look. I wouldn't wear sneakers with something like Kiton or Cesare Attolini though.

It also definitely depends on the sneaker - I'd go with something like the emerging Premiata personally (I'm going to get myself a pair when I can!)

Pm me with the details. I would be happy to help.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

:devil: Sorry to bust your b-s, but seriously, I think suit plus sneakers is basically flip side of chinos with oxfords. The same arguments apply. "It's creative! Tailored clothes/oxfords are the best! I don't want to stand out too much! But I still want to get some use of my favorite item. And I want to be classy. Etc."

Personally, I don't love either look, but I've experimented a bit with both. Just as I've worn brogued burgundy wingtips with gray pants and navy blazer, I've worn GATs w/ light gray fresco pants and white (seersucker) shirt.

Of all the pics posted so far, I may like this the most. Imo, Vans or GATs may be the best option for wear w/ tailored clothes. Sperry makes or made a nice laceup similar to Vans, but a slightly slimmer sole. Reminds me of Mr. Rogers: View attachment 1673855

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, those were a fairly old and casual pair of chinos. I think they still looked good. You might disagree.

As for the Mr. Rogers look: he would switch from his outdoor, adult life shoes to indoor shoes on the show. It was part of his routine. It was to bring him back into the world of the home and children.

Emphasis on children.

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
+1

:devil: Sorry to bust your b-s, but seriously, I think suit plus sneakers is basically the flip side of chinos with oxfords. The same arguments apply. "It's creative! Tailored clothes/oxfords are the best! I like mixing casual and dressy. I don't want to stand out too much. But I still want to get some use of my favorite item. And I want to be classy. Etc."

Of all the pics posted so far, I may like this the most. Imo, Vans or GATs may be the best option for wear w/ tailored clothes. Sperry makes or made a nice laceup similar to Vans, but a slightly slimmer sole. Reminds me of Mr. Rogers: View attachment 1673855
Well, oxfords with tailored trousers have a connection with history and fit with the golden era of classic menswear. Therefor those wearing such show they have an informed and trained eye and are not new to tailored clothing.
Re: chinos with oxfords vs suits and sneakers, yeah both are more newer rule breaking.

I think leather shoes with cotton pants makes more sense than sneakers with a wool suit, just from a historical context and due to my trained eye. The sneakers with the suit seem like more of a stretch than a connection to history and gives more of a “new to wearing clothes” impression.

but I voted that sneakers with suits can work if done tastefully. I wouldn’t do it, as I’m not a 25 year old hipster going for that look, but those who do fit that demographic and try to pull it off can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads