• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TMoxleyFTW

Reaction score
Personally can't stand the look when it's with a minimal white sneaker. LD mixes the two well
Larry-David-848x1272.jpg

PORCAMOSRL

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I honestly don't understand this look at all.

Why bother with the suit if you are going to destroy the look with sneakers?

Especially number 2 looks so ridiculous. He has a shirt, tie, and a suit on. Why would he decide "this is the right time to wear my ****** sneakers"?

At least #1, given the context, seems like he's going sailing or something. I'll give a pass there, given the gummy soles and such, but the rest? It's like, can't you guys go find yourself some big boy shoes?

I find it discordant and silly. It's like the dumb look Letterman had in the 80s.

Hi JFWR

I'm writing an article inspired by this thread, would you mind if I quote you in it? I can add a bio/website/socials if you have any :)

Hamish

Edit:

I thought I should at least contribute my opinion

I'm not an expert but I personally think the look is ridiculous if the sneakers contrast with the suit, but if they blend in (as the example above) I think it can give a modern twist to the look. I wouldn't wear sneakers with something like Kiton or Cesare Attolini though.

It also definitely depends on the sneaker - I'd go with something like the emerging Premiata personally (I'm going to get myself a pair when I can!)

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least #1, given the context, seems like he's going sailing or something.
That's a young Jeff Goldblum, right? Everybody knows Jeff Goldblum looks cool in anything...

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really know what to do in this case, because the v-neck in the sweater in combination with the contrasting white one-piece collar does such a great job -- a striking one, really -- of geometrically framing the face, but then the light-colored shoes keep stealing my attention away and drawing the eye downward. It's like my eyes keep bouncing back and forth, like a tennis match. Confusing.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some of the looks posted look nice. Would I do it? Probably not.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my defense, and to explain the look you chose to post of me (which isn't something I'd normally wear), is that this was the actual dresscode for an event I was going to that night. If I wear sneakers + suit, it's with a super casual suit and no tie.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my defense, and to explain the look you chose to post of me (which isn't something I'd normally wear), is that this was the actual dresscode for an event I was going to that night. If I wear sneakers + suit, it's with a super casual suit and no tie.

I remember that thread/original post.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, you are one of the most sour people on this board.

sorry, but we’re talking about mens clothing and people are posting pics of women wearing tailored clothes and sneakers? We’re supposed to take cues from that.

what other women’s clothing styles would you recommend to us?

By the way, don’t clutch at your pearls too hard. You can be just as cranky and nasty and you’ve shown it repeatedly.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sorry, but we’re talking about mens clothing and people are posting pics of women wearing tailored clothes and sneakers? We’re supposed to take cues from that.

what other women’s clothing styles would you recommend to us?

Sometimes a photo is just a photo. It can evoke a feeling or something. Not everything is a technical manual for how to dress. It can be just fun or a way to say "hey look at this cool thing." We're literally talking about fashion (style, if you want).

Here is a duck in sneakers

o8fnchmz04i41.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads