• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:laugh:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

iroh: The ****?

+1

The guy is despicable. Also, I was smart enough to quote one of his more recent, and egregious, offenses before it was deleted.

On a related note, why are there still posts vanishing from CE without any explanation? It seems that they've mostly been iroh's. Still, if he's bad enough to have posts deleted, can't we just get rid of him, rather than set a precedent that it's suddenly OK for mods to completely drop the transparency that made the moderation here so good?

Edit: I just saw your post, Mordecai. Thanks for the clarification. I would still be curious to hear the answer to the "why not just ban him" question.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
they have to decode cyrillic PMs before getting around to banning randoracists. Get in queue !

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

Edit: I just saw your post, Mordecai. Thanks for the clarification. I would still be curious to hear the answer to the "why not just ban him" question.

Because not every post that warrants deletion necessarily warrants a banning. I've also edited out a couple of seemingly unintentional insults from otherwise decent posts, and I removed the inflammatory language from a thread title for a worthwhile topic. I don't post everything I do here, because usually the infraction is pretty obvious, as you've noticed, and unless we've decided to ban someone, I have little interest in embarrassing posters for getting emotional or acting stupid occasionally. My goal is to have discussions go as smoothly and as cordially as possible and I err on the side of caution so as not to worry regulars that my moderating reflects my political biases. Putting someone on the pillory doesn't serve any of those ends, unless a thread starts resembling the comments on a CNN editorial.

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Because not every post that warrants deletion necessarily warrants a banning. I've also edited out a couple of seemingly unintentional insults from otherwise decent posts, and I removed the inflammatory language from a thread title for a worthwhile topic. I don't post everything I do here, because usually the infraction is pretty obvious, as you've noticed, and unless we've decided to ban someone, I have little interest in embarrassing posters for getting emotional or acting stupid occasionally. My goal is to have discussions go as smoothly and as cordially as possible and I err on the side of caution so as not to worry regulars that my moderating reflects my political biases. Putting someone on the pillory doesn't serve any of those ends, unless a thread starts resembling the comments on a CNN editorial.

You suck as a moderator.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score

I agree with what you're saying about some posts not being ban-worthy, but if it is habitual and consistent (i.e every couple of days), where do you draw the line?

Last edited:

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

What the **** mods I accidentally clicked something and now it shows that I've read all the forums which is not the case... what the **** happened and what the **** bullshit feature is that? I'm really really pissed off about that as I had several threads I had about 20 pages to read and was saving for later.

Lol. As MrG said, that has been around since long before the new system. That doesn't make it any less frustrating, though, and I have done it at least 3-4 times.

I agree with this. I'll edit a post without mentioning it in here.... well there was the one time I edited a whole bunch of posts, but that's different. Unless it's a relatively big offense, I see no reason to make a show of it on the transmod page. If it's something that is happening a lot with a single poster I'll either mention it here or via PM i'll tell them to STFU already.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I understand what you're saying, and forgive me if I'm overstepping my bounds on the whole "don't fight the moderators" rule around here. However, I have a very serious problem with the idea that our posts are now subject to editing by a mod whenever that mod deems it appropriate. Your intent may be otherwise noble, but the execution is sorely lacking. It's one thing if it happens as an occasional joke in DT, but I find it objectionable that you're basically saying you're willing to change our words without any indication to others (or the poster whose words you've changed) that such a thing has happened.

What you're saying about not making a big deal about every deletion makes perfect sense, but it took repeated appeals for an answer before we got one regarding the posts that were deleted, including at least one from someone who had their post deleted. "We do this discretely on occasion" is reasonable to me, but we asked repeatedly what happened to iroh's posts, and Bhowie asked specifically about his own post. Avoiding public shame seems like a pretty flimsy defense when it was already out in public view.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
and so, with unfair post taxing, it begins

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
The only posts I've altered are either blatantly racist (a few irohs and one or two others several months ago) or ones that run along the lines of "x user, I disagree with you and also **** your wife and children." If I do that I usually alter the posts that quoted it too. I've really only had to do this maybe a dozen times total since I started modding. The person whose posts are deleted are generally told as well. I am not altering the content of CE, and I actually don't recall editing anything that Bhowie posted. I also rely on notifications and private messages for mod questions. I don't check this thread all the time, so if you want an answer to something just send me a message.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I understand what you're saying, and forgive me if I'm overstepping my bounds on the whole "don't fight the moderators" rule around here. However, I have a very serious problem with the idea that our posts are now subject to editing by a mod whenever that mod deems it appropriate. Your intent may be otherwise noble, but the execution is sorely lacking. It's one thing if it happens as an occasional joke in DT, but I find it objectionable that you're basically saying you're willing to change our words without any indication to others (or the poster whose words you've changed) that such a thing has happened.
What you're saying about not making a big deal about every deletion makes perfect sense, but it took repeated appeals for an answer before we got one regarding the posts that were deleted, including at least one from someone who had their post deleted. "We do this discretely on occasion" is reasonable to me, but we asked repeatedly what happened to iroh's posts, and Bhowie asked specifically about his own post. Avoiding public shame seems like a pretty flimsy defense when it was already out in public view.

The only posts I've altered are either blatantly racist (a few irohs and one or two others several months ago) or ones that run along the lines of "x user, I disagree with you and also **** your wife and children." If I do that I usually alter the posts that quoted it too. I've really only had to do this maybe a dozen times total since I started modding. The person whose posts are deleted are generally told as well. I am not altering the content of CE, and I actually don't recall editing anything that Bhowie posted. I also rely on notifications and private messages for mod questions. I don't check this thread all the time, so if you want an answer to something just send me a message.

I think it would be a good policy if Mods noted when they made an edit or deletion in the place they did it, even if it doesn't warrant a mention here. That way, to overdramatize things, there is no sense that an invisible black van is coming in the moddle of the night (SWIDT) to disappear posters and their posts. Forums benefit if people feel that they are being treated fairly and they see the rules being enforced in public rather than in secret.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads